Good cheap 22LR

scoutleader

Hello all,
Can anyone suggest a good cheap 22LR? I would not mind a single shot or a bolt action. I know everyone wants the Ruger 10/22 but I am just looking for something cheap to carry down to my inlaws farm and to pop cans and stuff.
Thanks

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have the Savage bolt action 10 shot from walmart. It is a great plinker and plenty accurate for my small game needs. I paid $99 bucks but I think they are up some due to inflation.
Brent

CPTMurdoc30

The savage or the mossberg plinkster would be my choice.

You can also find older mossbergs that may not look like much but with a little bit of sanding and tru-oil they turn out looking like $1000 22 rifles.

mikejonestkd

savage or marlin model 25 ( now called the 925 )

each are good values for the money and are great for plinking and around the farm/ back 40 sort of use.
I still have my first marlin bolt rifle that must be 30+ years old now and it still shoots as well as it did when new.

Battery

another plus for the Marlin 60, I went to a local pawn and found 1 for 100$ talked them down to 65$. :cool: Older but shoot so straight. Had to clean the bore a bit but all good now. for a really cheap rifle can not go wrong with the model 60.

marlin 891T has worked well for me. I was looking for pretty much the same thins and settled on the 981T. Price is 179 I think. No worry about the mag getting lost, bent, or broken. Light, no mag to mess up the natural carry point. It is no tack driver, but A tin can at 50 yards should be easy if you do your part. 100 yds might start to push it a little for a regular soup can. Also easier to clean than a semi-auto, although probably not by much for the cheapies.

Willie D

The Stainless Model 60 is $169 at Cabelas right now according to the catalog that came yesterday.

How are the iron sights on the 981t? I really want a tube fed bolt action that I don't need to baby like my great-grandfather's Reminton Model 34 but I can't find a 981t on the shelf anywhere and I'm leery of special ordering one sight unseen.

guntotin_fool

Just something to think about,

DO you hunt with any rifles or shotguns?

matching up the action style is a great idea if you can, that is, if you have a pump shotgun or rifle, get a pump .22. bolt rifle, bolt .22 etc.

darkgael

good 22lr

Marlin model 60
Savage model 30G - single shot, falling block, octagonal barrel. Available in take down version. Nice plinker/squirrel gun. Shoots about any kind of .22 rimfire that you can think of, except the .22 Mag.
Pete

bclark1

Rem 597 has been decent for me, under $100 new for a semi-auto is alright. Shoots whatever, only had a few stovepipes, pretty accurate out to 100 with the irons. The front sight was poorly staked and my experience getting that fixed was a pain, took way longer than it should've, but the rifle itself is a good value.

sigproshooter

marlin 60 if you dont mind a tube magazine or remington 597 if you want something with a detachable mag. remmy also makes factory 30 rounders for the 597.