Good Buy or Pass? Model 34-1 2" Square Butt

Master Blaster

Blue finish, Like new condition 2" barrel square butt frame.
Seller is asking $695 with the Box no manual.

Gun looks un-fired and has perfect timing lock up fit etc.

I see them online for varying prices, the square but seems to be rarer than the round.

Do you have one and like it? Serial number on the one I see for sale is M171XXX so I think that puts it at about 1981, a good time for S&W production.

What is the current going rate for these revolvers in 2016?

Thanks

Wyosmith

That would be a top dollar price, but not a rip-off. It would not be called "a deal".
So it depends on how badly you want it.

aarondhgraham

That's a Chunk-o-Change they're asking,,,

That's a Chunk-o-Change they're asking,,,
But the way that prices are going up on anything S&W,,,
It might not be too bad a deal.

I have that exact same handgun,,,
I paid $500.00 for mine about 4 years ago.

I had the opposite experience than you,,,
I looked over a year for a snub-nose 34 with a round butt.

During that time I saw several with square butts,,,
But not one that had a round butt.

Go figure. :confused:

Aarond

Master Blaster

On Gunbroker they are almost all round Butt guns which is more common for any J frames and everyone seems to be asking 900-1000. Prices have certainly gone up in the last few years. I remember passing on a 4" 34 LNIB with papers and accessories priced at $350 back in 2006. At that time you could find nice K22 revolvers for 300-$350, and 5 screw guns were going for $400-500 here in Delaware.

springer99

2" Model 34 pre-lock is a very nice piece but I think a price around $600-625 is more in line. IF you REALLY must have it, that's a different story. Then go for it.

JERRYS.

if youre a collector go ahead and get it. if youre wanting a good shooter youre paying twice what you have to.

upstate81

In this day and age thats a fair price. Like the other poster said, if you dont buy it you will regret it. There is a nickel 34-1 at my lgs for 899 so your 700 doesnt sound all bad to me. Prices for the older smiths go up every year. In 5 years the prices may be 1000 for the same gun. There aren't really any deals on pinned barreled smiths anymore. Even ragged model 10s are going for 4 to 5 hundred dollars! Ive gotten to the point if i see something on my list and the condition is there i buy it.

Master Blaster

After a bunch of online searching the closest 34-1 2" I could find that sold in the last 6 months was on Gunbroker and went for $640 back in July . With shipping and transfer fees that puts it at $700. A new 63 8 shot can be had for about $650 around here. The 34-1 sold on GB was not in as good condition as the one in my local shop.

ThomasT

I won't comment on the price because I haven't looked at them in a while. I have a 34-1 with a 4" barrel and its a flat latch model so I am assuming its an early 60's model. I believe it is a round butt also. It doesn't have the original grip, box or paperwork. But I only paid $250 OTD from a pawn shop about 8 years ago. Its probably worth twice what I paid for it.

I have other models in 30-1 and 31-1 and really like the little J-frames. And it just money. I found my Holy Grail gun a few years ago on the S&W forum. A model 631-1 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I paid a little over $700 for it and wouldn't take less than a thousand now for it now.

Master Blaster

8 years ago. If only prices now were the same... 8 years ago my local gun shop has 4 colt pythons in their case at $550 - 625 each. I wish I had bought all four.

Paladin7

Personally, I think that price is a little high, but I would not hesitate to buy it. I'd try to get some discount on the price and just buy it for whatever you can negotiate. S&W is not making that gun the same as it was in the past and you won't be making a mistake. It will only go up in value, and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Don't think too hard, just buy it, you won't regret it.

redlightrich

If you are a buyer for a business, you must always buy right, but being this is something you want just pay up. As long as spending the extra money will not be viewed as irresponsible by your loved ones, do it.

There are people in the world who spend way more than 700 dollars on themselves. Some people will pay more than that for a pair of good shoes!!!

We are here for a good time, not a long time. If you have been looking, and the only thing standing in your way is the slightly higher price, I say buy..
and yes, I follow this advice as well.

Either way, good luck

Rich

Master Blaster

Thanks for all your replies, I was able to get them down to $650 so it was a deal. Took it out and put approx 250 rounds of CCI SV and some cbs and quiet ammo,and bulk federal plated through it so far. Good accuracy good trigger and no problems with ejection as can sometimes plague S&W rimfires. The chambers are tight and you have to give a little push to seat every round with the target ammo (CCI SV), with plated stuff not so much.