Good books to read

Kevin_d77

I know I have heard about some books that people say every shooter should read. I am interested to hear your opinions as I am currently in between books and looking for something good.

Thoughts/Opinions?

kraigwy

For the technical aspect, Hatcher's Notebook, MG J. Hatcher.

For pure marksmanship, Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting, by Cpt. Eward Crossman.

ljnowell

Sixguns by Elmer Keith
Hell, I was there by Elmer Keith
Good guns, Good Friends, Good Whiskey by Skeeter Skelton.

Reallym anything by those two men is fantastic reading. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny, none of thier books were produced in huge quantities and are all out of print now. Great reading though.

locnload

One that I, and many others always recommend to new people considering carrying a weapon for defense is "Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper. People who come to a CCW class after reading this book and seriously considering its content are prepared to began learning about carrying a deadly weapon with them daily. ;)

8MM Mauser

The "Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper. It's not the best book instruction wise, but it's a great read. I owned a rifle for three years before I started shooting rifles: this book was what really got me into it.

MLeake

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. Lots of good ideas for interacting with the police after an incident, among other things.

Kevin_d77

Excellent ideas! Thanks for the input! Now I just need to figure out which one and see if they have it for Nook or Kindle!

Evan Thomas

The Open Library of the Internet Archive is a great resource for hard-to-find books like those mentioned by ljnowell.

If a book is available in digital form, you can download it from them as a two-week loan. If not, it will locate libraries that have the book, so you can borrow a physical copy via inter-library loan. And it also links to internet booksellers that have the book.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Thanks for the link to OpenLibrary, V! I can always use more free books. (Not that I've had time to read the ones I've already downloaded.)

shouldazagged

A.B. Zhuk, The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Handguns: Pistols And Revolvers Of The World, 1870 To The Present (Greenhill Books, 1995). "The present" is not up to date; but this is an amazing, informative book. Zhuk contributed to the designs of some guns, and was (is?) an incredible draftsman. There are no photos in the book, just over 2500 line drawings of fantastic accuracy and detail, and descriptions with a lot of historical background.

Ed Lovette, The Snubby Revolver: The EQC, Backup And Concealed Carry Standard (Paladin Press, 2005). Lovette, now a gun magazine columnist, is a former Special Forces officer, CIA paramilitary operative, and firearms consultant to a number of law enforcement agencies. This is a short book with a lot of good information, illustrative short case histories, and tactical ideas for those who, like me, like and carry these little guns.

Evan Thomas

You're welcome, Spats. The Open Library is a fantastic resource. The Internet Archive also has music, movies, TV shows... their goal is to digitize pretty much everything. And, yes, to archive the entire internet for posterity. :eek:

LED

I doubt there is the gun bible every shooter must read. Many good books exist, sure. On a practical side, if you consider owning a handgun, Massad Ayoob is typically right on the money. He is a great authority on shooting techniques, as well as some brands such as Beretta, Glock, and Sig Sauer. Also the legal aspects of self defense. The other writer I came to trust is RK Campbell. He does (and publishes) his own ballistic tests. He is also an expert on the 1911.

I also have learned to pay attention to the writers credentials. Also some books are self published and may be way off the mark, other than personal fulfillment.

bbqbob51

I love R.L. Wilson's coffee table books on different firearms manufacturers and topics. I own his books on Beretta, Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Peacemakers, Silk and Steel (about women and guns), Steel Canvases (about fine engraving) and Buffalo Bill Cody. Lots of great pictures and loads of information.

Everyone should have a copy of Ed McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting"; as well as the small book "Shooting to Live" by W.E. Fairbairn :) They are both classics of their time.

SPEMack618

"To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth." by Colonel Cooper is a good read, from both a marksmanship standpoint and philosophy as well. (So long as you're not an ardent fan of the SA/DA pistol)

"No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan is a good read as well, though a bit dated, some of his little tidbits are still applicable even today.

"Unrepenent Sinner" by Col. Charlie Askins is pretty good too, but mainly in the "old gunfighter stories" kind of way.