Good books on CCW.

Jason Demond

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8293/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_14_2/002-2518288-3962417
0965678466.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I picked this book up from my local library the other day; I was surprised by the amount of good information contained in it. This book is a lot better than the NRA training manual that you get when you take a NRA training course, It’s a lot more in depth than the NRA manual. I have read a lot of books on the subject of self-defense and this is one of the best.

If you are considering a CCW license or already have one then I recommend these books

In the Gravest Extreme Role of the Firearm
by Massad Ayoob

Stressfire (Gunfighting for Police)
by Massad Ayoob

The Truth About Self-Protection
by Massad Ayoob

The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense
by Chris Bird

KimberLady

Don't forget the book How To Own a Gun And Stay Out Of Jail , explains very clearly firearms laws in your state and is as up-to-date as the authors can make it. If they aren't sure about a law (as is common in California), they let you know and you can check out their website for updates.

In Gravest Extreme is also a darn good book, although I don't necessarily agree with everything Ayoob says about female shooters with regard to gun size. I'm 5'7" and 140 lb.-ish, and I handle a full-sized .45 just fine, even with 230 grain loads. I used to shoot a .357 magnum with .357 mag loads (hey, I didn't know any better) and moving to the .45 was like a holiday for my hands.

Oh yeah, the .357 mag was a Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel. Talk about death on your hands with .357 loads...sheesh!

Jason Demond

Some of the stuff Ayoob says is wrong like you said. My Sister is about 5'1" and 125lbs and can handle a full size 1911 and a 6" model 29 in .44mag without a problem. Then again he wrote the book years ago, people have come a long way since then.:)

MatthewM

For all around coverage of most all aspects, I liked "Armed and Female". One of the better books for all these people buying their first gun since 9/11

Morgan

I like Ayoob's books, especially his directness and use of scenario to make the point. Quigley (of Armed and Female) seemed a bit "listen, girlfriend"-ish to me. Both Ayoob's and Quigley's books are a bit dated. I'll have to check out Bird's book, but with the half Sabrina on the cover I'm not holding out hope. (My, my... I'm so negative today.)

The best book I've yet found is Fighting Smarter: A Practical Guide to Surviving Violent Confrontation by Tom Givins. It covers everything from the why to the what to the how of concealed carry, inclusive on everything from selection of a weapon to criminal victim selection and mindset. It really is more about fighting than shooting. As with all things I don't agree with everything said, and I feel some options have been left out, but it's a good, solid book for a serious novice, and thought provoking for the experienced CCWer. Jim Higginbotham wrote a section on ammunition that all of the people who get their ammo info from gun rags and websites should read. Lots of experience talking from both Givins and Higginbotham.

Another excellent read, though somewhat dated (the equipment is heavily revolver biased), is Jim Cirillo's Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights : Lessons and Tales from a Modern-Day Gunfighter. Cirillo is a great storyteller, and he really has been there and done that. This book, too, is more about fighting than carrying, but I think that's what one must consider when they choose to carry.

A book I've heard nothing but good things about, but haven't yet read (it's on my Christmas list), is Walt Rauch's Real World Survival : What Has Worked For Me. From what I've heard it is similar in nature to Givins' book.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
The Tactical Pistol

Yes, this is the one from Gaberial Suraez;
he's a real-life LAPD officer. It cover's
every aspect, from proper mind set to
wounded shooter technique's. I highly
recommend it to every person who carries
a CCW.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.