Good "beater" gun

meat

I'm looking for a good 9mm to take to the range and use as my "beater" range gun. In other words I want a durable gun that I can practice shooting ALOT with. I want it to be able to hold up to abuse, clean and repair easily, and find replacement parts if breakage should occur. I've been looking at the glock 17, the CZ-75b, and a Sig 228/226 and think that any of these would fit the bill nicely. I've shot them all and like all of them. Basically, I want this to be my regular range gun that I can shoot the hell out of.

blades67

All three are great choices. Of the three I think the CZ is the least expensive, the SIG Sauer the most accurate and the Glock the easiest to work on yourself. I think the Glock may have the most durable finish of the three as well. Handle all three and get the one that fits your hand the best.

GreenMtns.

You can't get much more durable than a Ruger p95, it's a great beater gun, seems to be accurate enough, I like shooting my Glock 19 more, but for putting rounds through and overall general abuse the p95, but I have to admit I'd like to try the CZ but I can't find them in my area.

kpw

Get the Glock for a beater, nicks and scratches don't make it any uglier than it already is. CZs are cheaper but they are too pretty to beat up on.

IanS

Of all the 3 choices I would choose the Glock myself for a "range" gun. (All good pistols are precious so I don't like the word beater :))Regardless of your current primary (SA 1911/BHP, USP, Beretta, DA revolver, etc) the Glock is so simple it blends well with whatever you have. So transitioning between Glock and most everything else is easy. And I would also say Glocks have set today's current standard for toughness and reliability.

As for Sig it is well... a little too "precious", not durability wise but pricewise for this job. The CZ's are priced right, very durable from what I've read but I personally don't have any experience with them (although I'd love to shoot one one day).

But all 3 are quality pistols so even a good used one might be something to consider for a "range gun".

HSMITH

If you can get your hand comfortably on a Ruger they make great beaters. I cannot get a good grip on them. I think they are uglier than a pink glock, but generally shoot decent and function well. A glock is the perfect beater, tough as nails and shoot OK, but more expensive. The glock is far more comfortable to me.

chaim

What is your carry or home defense gun? If you use a 1911 the CZ can be used SA and carried in condition one, and best of all the safety moves in the right direction. If you use a Glock then the Glock may be the best range gun. Traditional DA/SA, Ruger. A SIG get the SIG. For best practice it may be best to get the one that is most like your serious (HD or carry) gun.

Personally, out of what you meantioned the CZ is the least expensive and still very durable, reliable, accurate and well made. Personally, it is my favorite and that is what I'd get (actually I did get 2 CZs a 75B and a 40 and I will get more). However, all the guns you mentioned are great guns so get the one you like best and feels best in your hand. You won't go bad with any.

CWL

I'd have to guess that a Ruger P95 would make a good beater gun, especiall one of the earlier ones, before they were slimmed down. I used to own the .40cal & it was a solid chunk of metal.

Probably would survive banging around in a toolbox better than the CZ. Also cheaper than a Glock.

DMK

Ruger or CZ-75. They are both tough and cheap.

The CZ is a better choice if you want to get a .22 slide for the times when paycheck need to be stretched a little. The CZ Kadet is a very fun pistol itself.

My CZ-75 always goes to the range with me and gets a *lot* of use with both 9mm and .22LR.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of that pistol!

Erik

Glocks stake much of their reputation on being the quintessetial beaters. After all, only a beater gets run over by trucks and left intentionally in salt water, sand, etc, right?

I'd opt for the CZ. One of the finest, if the most undervalued and under-rated, pistols available.

meat

Another Plus is that I might actually be able to swing a deal that would let me get the glock 17 and the CZ for the price of one Sig 226. 2 guns = :D

jack_the_sailor

Range gun?

Whats a range gun? The only pistol I shoot at the range is my carry pistol. If you think you can practice with 1 pistol & carry a different pistol. It don't work that way. Ya got to practice with your carry pistol.

meat

Yes, but let's be honest. I think most of us own more than one type of handgun, whether it's carried or not. ;)

Gunz

I always intend to bu a gun as a "beater" but it always ends up as a favorite, and then gets babied.

All in all, a police trade-in Glock, Beretta, or SMith would be a fantastic beater gun. They usually trade around $300-375. They already have wear marks and servicing, sot they should be sound.

The CZs are so great that it would bother me if I dropped it or scratched it.

blades67

jack, if you only have one gun that might work for you.

Myself, I'm not so limited, nor do I limit myself with such dogma. By your reasoning, I wouldn't be able to compete in a CAS match unless I carry a SAA every day.:rolleyes: I take different guns to the range so that I will be familiar with many different kinds and types of firearms. I borrow guns that are different from my own for this reason.