Good Basic Rifle Scope for under $150

P99AS9

I just bought a Remington 700 VTR in .308 for hunting whitetail in New England. I want to buy a nice scope for it, but I only have around $150 to spend on one. I was thinking about the Nikon ProStaff. Any opinions?

Leadman

Simmons Aetec. Do not let the brand fool you. Stood up too my Omega and is now on my SPS Tactical .308. At Midway on sale right now for under 100 bucks. (2.8x10x44)

tINY

Burris has some 2-7x32ish scopes that are pretty nice for around that price...

For about $225, there are a lot of really nice 3-9x40 scopes - that seems to be the sweet spot for value the last couple of years.

-tINY

cheapride

I have the same gun and have the prostaff mounted on it. This was my first year hunting and I liked the combo. It was easy to zero and worked well in low light.

Solid buy.

PTS1

Save up $50 and get the Nikon Team Primos. Way better scope than the prostaff and you will never-ever be sorry for spending that extra $50.

aarondhgraham

Bushnel Banner series,,,

Man, all I know is that I put one on an H&R and it drives tacks now,,,
Very clear optics for the money.

I'm no expert in the fine points but this one is doing me some good duty.

Aarond

sholling

I think the best bargain would be a Weaver K4 4x38. It's a good rugged scope with very good optics for the price.

If you want a variable then look at Weaver's V9 3-9x38. Reviews

Weaver scopes are darn good for the money. The K-Series and V-Series are on a par with Nikon's Buckmaster, Bushnell's Legend, and Burris' Fullfield II.

If you can save up another $50 then I agree with PTS1. The Nikon Team Primos is head and shoulders better than a Prostaff, Banner, Simmons etc. It's basically an older style Nikon Monarch UCC rebadged as a Team Primos.

Last edited: