Good all weather knock around rifle

LouPran

I'm looking for a good all weather knock around rifle in 30.06 and have thus far narrowed my choices down to these to look at.

Savage Weather Warrior vs Remington 700 BDL or 700 Stainless SPS Vs Ruger Hawkeye

These are rifles currently on sale , which is why I'm considering them.

I've also though of instead going to a semi auto like the Benneli R1 or Browning BAR again also in 30.06. I've found both used at a reasonable price.

Would love to get some opinions and/or other suggestions.

Thanks.

sholling

I'd add the Tikka T3 Lite in stainless to that list and narrow it to the Tikka and Savage.

Edit: If you go with the Tikka then invest $35 in a Limbsaver recoil pad. Tikkas are so light that it's just a good idea.

Last edited:

Scorch

Looks like you've done your homework, those are 3 very good options. Given the choices you mention, I would opt for the Ruger because I really like controlled round feed rifles. Otherwise I would go for the Remington 700 stainless.

LouPran

Thanks guys ... keep em coming.

One reason I like the Savage is of course the vaunted "AccuTrigger" which sounds appealing in theory and reviews I've read on them really hail it as the new benchmark for factory and even aftermarket triggers.

I'm not worried about recoil. I'm a big enough guy and recoil has never really bothered me.

sholling

The best factory triggers will be found on the Savage and the Tikka. Probably the worst factory trigger (and hardest to replace) on your list will be the Ruger. The most accurate will be neck and neck Savage and Tikka, but the Tikka's stock tends to be better.

mkg

sholling
but the Tikka's stock tends to be better.

In the past I would have agreed but the Savage web site now lists the "accu-stock" which is supposed to be much better than the old tuperware stocks.

Mike

HOGGHEAD

30-06

You guys will probably laugh at me but here goes. I have over a dozen 30-06's, and I reach for my Encore 30-06 every time. The rifle is short, and very fast handling, more than accurate enough, and fits me like a glove. And NO PLASTIC(for you Tikka guys). And not UGLY(for you Savage guys).

The biggest problem I have run into in my hunting career is barrels and rifles being too long. It seems like I am always hitting something with the end of my barrel. With the shorter Encore you can still have a longer barrel for performance, but still have a shorter rig for handling.

Let the flames begin. ;););).

I have one with the LH thumbhole design. Below is the same rig, but a different barrel. Tom.

IMG_0319.jpg

HOGGHEAD

Prices

Have you looked at the Savage prices lately?? They have went up a bunch. I do believe the Encore Pro Hunter is over priced. But a standard Encore can be bought for a reasonable price. The price actually compares to the Savage Pricing. Especially if you go apples to appples. And by that I mean a laminated stock versus a laminated stock, and not the plastic junk that Savage sells. I have a couple of those junky Savage stocks in the closet that I replaced(because they were CRAP). I am not knocking the Savage rifle, I own several-and enjoy them. But the truth is the truth. Below is a picture of a 12FVSS that I replaced the stock on(got rid of the plastic CRAP), and this rifle is a tack driver. Tom.

IMG_0405.jpg

mkg

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the accu-stock ?

I would be interested in hearing about it , are they really better ?

Mike

WesM

I traded at a recent gunshow for a Savage 116 FCSS 30-06. I liked the stainless/synthetic stock for all-weather purposes, and the FCSS is the model with a detachable magazine. Both of my previous rifles had internal magazines and I got sick of running all of my ammo through the action.

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but am looking forward to hunting with it this year.

jmr40

You can still find some of the Savage package guns sold at Walmart for reasonable prices. But to get a stainless Savage you will pay about the same as a Ruger Hawkeye. When you consider the Ruger comes with Rings it will probably be less expenive.

Swampghost

You don't need SS to be all-weather unless you are talking about zero care in VERY extreme conditions. I've never had one and have been down in the swamps for 50 yrs., many of my firearms have spent years on boats exposed to salt air and, in a few cases, saltwater directly. Rain is always a factor too.

IMHO SS is over played. BTW, it will also rust unless it's a grade not suitable for rifle components.

LouPran

WOW ... That is an awesome looking Savage HOGGHEAD. What model is that? Is that stock , factory or aftermarket?

DUH ... just reread that and you answer all those questions.

IMG_0405.jpg

NOW my question is where can I get one of those stocks for a non knock around ?

Last edited: