Good all around

Rolkin

Ok I'm probably a while off from buying a rifle but I'm really pushing for sometime this year. (though my wife doesn't know it yet :) )

I'd really like to see how accurate I can be so I've always though about getting, you know something that shoot 600 yards ;) not that there's a range around here with markings past 100.

The cheaper the more likely it will happen this year, so that pretty much takes out the 700P, Steyer Scout, AI AE.

So I've been looking at a Savage or maybe a Rem 710 (though there was just a recall for them?)

My only problem is that I live in Missouri and hunting in the woods, well you don't usually get to long of a shot. My dad shoots a 30-30, I've been leaning towards a .308 but seeing as there isn't much room to shoot; though I'd like a flatter trajectory, I'm thinking a 30-30 at that range is more than enough.

So I'm thinking 30-06 because of all of the different weights and grains. But the 710 is about the only sub $500 rifle I know of please list any you know of that are decent.

And what caliber you think would be good enough to shoot distance if I get a chance but maybe hmm wouldn't be considered to much for normal hunting.

Also I've never bought a scope so I don't know much about them, suggestions for something not to expensive and suggestions for magnification would be appreciated.

hoghunting

Savage has so many different models that you might look at their web site and see which one appeals to you. Go to a gun store and handle the Savages and see how they fit and handle. Any one of them will be a good shooter. Just pick the one that feels the best to you. To check new prices or to order a new rifle, check www.thegunsource.com as they seem to have some of the best prices for new guns. You can buy from them and have the gun sent to your FFL dealer.

Which ever one you pick, just STAY AWAY from the Remington 710. That is one funky P.O.S.

riverrat66

Try these both are Savages HERE and HERE

Depending on what you plan on hunting the .270, .308 and .30-06 would all be good choices. Personally I would choose the .308 as I own rifles in all three calibers.

There are a million different scopes out there and you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one either. I've got expensive Leupold scopes and inexpensive Bushnell scopes that all serve the purpose.

Pointer

So I'm thinking 30-06 because of all of the different weights and grains. But the 710 is about the only sub $500 rifle I know of please list any you know of that are decent.
30-06 (The .308 is a 30-06 Short)

Howa rifle

Bushnell trophy 1.75-5x

Total about $600 :)

270Win

For $500, you can get a Remington 700 ADL ($364 or so at WalMart) in .30-06 or .270 and still have $140 or so left for a scope - good buys in this range are Bushnell Legend, Banner and Trophy, Weaver Classic, Nikon Prostaff, Burris Fullfield, etc.

Rolkin

Man I've been reading though the forums since I posted this and noone seems to like the 710 heh. Kinda scary.

I guess I'm leaning towards the majority wisdom of the Savage.

Thinking

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2685024

Or a weather

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2685018

Not sure of the pro's and cons of these compared to the ones posted above, walmart prices seem cheaper than the retail of course, and I'm sure they're less than Bass Pro but I'd probably check Bass Pro also, never really been to a gun show I guess that's a possibilty.

Could someone throw a quick explanation of what the measurements for scopes mean like a 3x9x40 or whatever or the one listed below?

*edit What's teh difference between the ADL, BDL and P? I couldn't find a website explaning it sorry :/

riverrat66

A 3-9 rifle scope makes the target appear 3 to 9 times closer than when seen with the unaided eye. The 40mm is the diameter of the objective lens (the front lens). I think I said that right.

On Saturday I was at my local gun shop and saw a Savage Package gun. It was a very nice Model 12BVSS in .22-250 but the scope was not very good at all. I don't recall what make it was but I looked thru it and it was cloudy and not crisp like one would need for that type of rifle. I would beware of buying such a "package" rifle.

chemist308

If you reload, get the 30-06, it's a no brainer. The 30-06 handloads can be made stronger than the 308 and slightly give better trajectory. You can get a range of bullet weights for 30-06 in factory loads, but you may end up paying a premium for some.
If you don't reload, strongly consider a 308. You can get bulk ammo for the thing under 308 fmj, 7.62x51 or 7.62 NATO and hunting ammo whenever you need it. If you want to use it at closer range in brush, 180 grain bullets will do you fine. If you want to shoot 600+ yards, there's so much ballistics data on that round out to 1000 yards it's not even funny. And there's also the fact that 308 performs about same as 30-06 military loads of yester-year since the military designed it to replace the 30-06 :D

jhgreasemonkey

I have had great luck with savage so I agree with all the above posts. You also might consider a .300 win. mag. they are good long range shooters. The army comp. team uses that caliber. Nothing wrong with the 30-06 though. :)

FirstFreedom

1. 30-'06 is excellent choice. Although the .308 win might be a better choice shooting at those long distances, as match ammo is readily available for .308.

But the 710 is about the only sub $500 rifle I know of please list any you know of that are decent.
Long before I'd buy that junky-looking thing known as the 710, I'd buy other rifles even if they were the same price, but they are actually less: The Mossberg 100ATR, and the Savage-Stevens are both less money, but better rifles. The Howa 1500 and standard Savage are about the same price and far better rifles. The discount store Rem 700s, Win 70s, and Weatherby Vanguards are just a tad more, far better rifles, and still well under $500 including tax. Even Tikka T3s and CZ 550s can be found under $500, before tax anyway, and are far better rifles. Just M.O.

If I were you, I'd look at getting a standard Savage 10/11 (short action) or 110/111 (long action), with accu-trigger, then maybe bumping up accessories' quality later down the road (stock, scope, etc.)

Rolkin

Yea I think I'm looking at the Savage 110/111 not sure what the difference between the short and long action is?

Or a 700 ADL

The 700 action seems to be very popular from what I've been reading on it. Only thing is every time I look up the 700 ADL it says youth gun, which makes me think of a short gun and I' have long arms. Shoul di be looking at the BDL instead? I don't even see the ADL on remingtons website.

*edit Synthetic vs wood stocks? Stainless steel barrels vs stain finish or whatever. Is it just weather guarding upgrades? Been kinda thinking about a synthetic stock, what do you guys think about them?

Savage10FP308

Check my name...

I walked out the door with it for exactly $500 dollars!:D I love it! If they are all as fine as the one I bought then I would have to say that you can't go wrong with a Savage!:)

FirstFreedom

Yeah, I think the ADL means synthetic stock, but you can get it in a full-sized stock, not just youth model. So either the ADL or BDL 700s are good choices, depending on what you want and the budget. On the Savages, they're all basically the same at heart - just look at the specific features of each model over at:

www.savagearms.com

The long action vs. short action just means that the short action handles only the shorter-cased calibers such as .223 rem, .243 win, and .308 win, whereas the longer action handles larger cases such as .270 win and .30-'06.

Rolkin

So I'm thinking the

Remington 700 SPS DM 308

or

Savage 11F 308 with a bushnell 3x9

Only problem is when I go to look up the .308 on the gunsource.com they seem more expensive than the 30-06.

Maybe I'll end up getting the 30-06 if I can't find a .308 for near the same price when I'm looking.

I think someone mentioned that the .308 is more accurate long range? Why? heavier bullet vs higher velocity argument?

I would for sure go with the 30-06 because of how versatile it can be with the different bullet weights available. My pick for the rifle would be a Thompson Center Encore, I don't know what your price range is but for the price difference over the Savage or the Remington you can have a rifle that you can switch out the barrels and make it a muzzeloader, pistol, shotgun what ever you want this gun can do it.

44 AMP

Staff
Does it have to be new?

Well, does it? There are literally "tons" of good to exellent used rifles out there. At a significant cost reduction. There are lemons too, so beware.

Action length: Long action 30-06 Short action .308 Win

Rem 700 ADL : plain vanilla version(stock), blind box mag
BDL: deluxe stock (contrasting tips, white line spacers, etc) hinged floorplate mag. other options like heavy barrel on some modesl

Scopes; 3-9x models are very popular, scope zooms from 3 power magnification to 9 power (x) with the twist of a ring.

If this is to be a "first" rifle, probably better to star away from autoloaders, or odd/unusual calibers. Save those for when you get a little more into the game.:D

Gazpacho

Get a NEF in 30-06 and a 4x or a 3-9x Leupold scope. For $500 you could also grab some accessories. Then save up for the next couple of years and get a really nice rifle.