Good 40 cal Semi for Carry/Range

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I am looking for a good 40 cal semi in the < $600 price range. I would like it to be in the 4" to 4.5" barrel length so I can carry if need be. I would like ~12 round capacity. I have a Glock 19 and a Smith M&P both in 9mm so I am looking for something different. Was thinking about a Springfield XD or XDM. A good warranty is a must because I have horrible luck.:)

Thanks for any tips,
TR

Get R Done Guns

Well, the Ruger SR40 fits most of the bill. As far as warranty goes if you get a DAVIDSONS gun you get a lifetime warranty second to none! If the Ruger doesn't tickle your fancy look into getting the XDm they are great also. The Ruger is much more cost effective and you can spend some money on ammo. They also have the Compact version. May also want to look into an FN FNX as it fits I think all of what you are looking for.

MJ45

Taurus 24-7 has a couple of varieties and options. i have 2 taurus, a mil pro and a revolver. i only needed the warranty on the revolver, but service was less than a month and thorough. the mil pro is a 9mm in stainless and very nice to shoot, a good dependable gun. the 24-7 is a little larger probably just what you want. ;)

Cheapshooter

My everyday carry is a bit smaller than your intended pistol, but is a good reflection on one of your choices. A Springfield Armory XD40 Subcompact. I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the larger Compact model would fit your needs.

hulley

I like my FNP-40. A little heavy to carry (compared to my CW9) but not bad. As accurate as the day is long.

Mikey Idaho

My first choice would be m&p but you want something different so i'd try a beretta px4 or taurus 24/7, not an XD fan personally.

TunnelRat

Like I said I want to try something different. I like the M&P but I don't love it.

The SR40 intrigues me but I have a hard time finding one in a retail store near me.

Uncle Malice

You've already got 2 striker fired guns. I would recommend trying a hammer fired one now for something different.

As was mentioned, the FNP is an excellent choice - and they're not heavy at all... in fact, it's one of the only service-size guns that is actually lighter than a glock 17.

I have the FNP9. It's a very easy gun to shoot accurately. The controls are somewhat like a Sig.

Ambishot

PX4/Stoeger?

If you're looking for something other than a striker fired pistol, I'd suggest either a PX4 or a Stoeger Cougar(essentially the beretta cougar). MSRP is around 400-500 for either pistol.

Personally I have a stoeger with about 750-1000 rounds through it and 0 issues (FTF, FTE etc.) The only down side to it's design is the DA/SA trigger transition that you see with Beretta pistols.

Here's a link to their website. They have an option to enter dealer location etc.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php

sandbag

I don't much like 40's,but the one I liked best that I fired was an XD.
I have a Glock 20SF that can take a 40 drop in barrel,but I am not sure I'd wnt one.

BigPoppa

I have a Gen4 Glock22 and a S&WM&P40S&W/357Sig and I am very very satisfied with both firearms. Both have interchangeable backstraps and fit my hand perfectly.