Good 327 Fed wheel gun for the wife??

BornFighting88

Taking suggestions and recommendations for a good revolver in 327 Federal for the wife.

I am between something Ruger (LCR/Gp100/SP101)
Or Smith (if they offer one still)
Or Charter Arms Professional

What say ye?

FrankenMauser

Good for what?
Plinking? SD? HD? Weighing down a purse? Target practice? Stopping rampaging whitetails?

I have owned the Blackhawk, GP-100, SP-101, and LCR in .327 Federal.
Keep in mind that they all have heavier than usual springs, in order to set off the *rifle* primers used for the cartridge. And most people that try reducing spring weight, or installing lighter springs (even the 'standard' springs for .38/.357) end up with light-strike issues.

The GP is great. (But I sold mine.)
The SP has a notably heavier trigger pull, but carries better. This is my "compact" woods gun.
The Blackhawk is a heavy chunk of steel. Same size as it would be if chambered in .45 Colt, but with smaller chambers and a smaller bore diameter. Fun for targets and plinking. No good for any sort of carry.
The LCR is my primary carry gun. But, having a fondness for what is left of my hearing, I will not shoot it (or any of the others) without hearing protection. I carry the LCR with .32 H&R in the chamber. I can, surprisingly for the terrible "sights", shoot it very well to 100+ yards. But it wasn't made for that.

BornFighting88

Nightstand gun, and when she gets her CCW permit, carry, too. I was leaning towards the LCR, too. As its just point, and trigger. No mechanical manual of arms to get the automatic ready.

stinkeypete

I have a 3” LCRx in .38. I wish they made one in .327 as it would make a dandy field gun.
I have a .32 H&R Mag in a Single Six and it’s handy, accurate, and tells you “I am not a .22” but recoil is easy on the paw. Keeping the bullet subsonic is my goal as the report is mild on the ears, too.

Triggers- my LCRX double action trigger pull is not light, but it is smooth and controllable out of the box. I’m a single action trigger snob.

This is just my opinion, but I think 32 H&R magnum has all the tame shooting advantages of a .22 while packing a much bigger punch. It’s one of those rounds that might encourage a non-enthusiast to practice with and not invite fear or flinching. The LCR is very light. It’s not pretty, but then it’s a tool that operates as it should.

My 3”LCR is quite snappy in the hand with +p loads because of the light weight. Really snappy. Target wadcutters are significantly less “punishing”, but a .32 would be something even a reluctant student could enjoy.

For your situation, I think the LCR may suit you, as would any Ruger or Smith double action with more weight. .32 H&R to avoid ear damage.

Crankylove

What does SHE want? Has she shot a revolver in 327?
__

^ This.

My primary carry gun is a 3” SP101 in .327. Also have Frankenmauser’s old 4”GP100.

GP100 my be a little big for her hands, SP101 will have more recoil.

Like Frankenmauser, I carry .32 H&R mag, only use .327 when it’s my hunting sidearm.

My wife bought a S&W 637 for her carry/nightstand gun. Fits her hands well, and she shoots it better than my larger revolvers.

Need to take your woman out and borrow/rent an assortment of sizes/calibers/styles and let her find what works for her, not what you think you want her to have.

TruthTellers

Only Ruger is making them now and for any carry application it's either the LCR or the 3 inch SP101 monstrosity, which I advocate against buying.

If you're willing to go down to .32 HR Mag, which I think is a more sensible fit for a woman because they will not like the blast of .327, Charter is the main option. The Professional still has sight issues, but the smaller frame Undercoverrette is a 6 shot now. I'd check that out, but good luck finding one on a shelf in an LGS to have her get a feel for.

BornFighting88

Thanks all. I took her to range and she fired a 32 H&R that she really liked. Easy on her paws, and still was able to put them all on a paper plate at 7 yards. I think the ability to also chamber 327 would make it a great field gun, or load for when we would like to pack a little more punch.