Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Ruger Mk3

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other recommendation.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee6113

Which to get first? I'm gonna get them both eventually but I want to add a little .22 semi auto to my collection, especially since I've been taking new shooters out recently. I want a Beretta Bobcat with the tipup barrell, but I also want a Ruger model like a 22/45 or a mark 2 or 3.

I feel like Ruger might fit better for general purpose and new shooters, but I like the novelty of the beretta. So I put it to you all, which would you get FIRST?

Cheers!

Lee

DaleA

I think ANY of the Rugers with adjustable sights and a heavier barrel would do you just fine.

My personal favorite would be the Mark 2 but whatever fits your hand and personality best would be best for you.

BarryLee

I voted for the Ruger Mark II but the Mark III would also be a good choice. My brother has a Browning Buckmark which he likes a lot, so you might give it a look.

psyfly

If your aim is to show new shooters a lot of fun, then another consideration would be a Browning 1911-22. But, I voted Ruger Mark II.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
This from a guy who JUST (literally 4 days ago) bought a Beretta Neos U22....

If I were to get the .22 pistol that I *really* wanted, irrespective of cost, it would be a Ruger MkIII Hunter, model 10160 or the MkII equivalent.

Only trouble is, those guns are 2 and sometimes close to 3 times what I paid for the Neos.

If I had a convincing reason that I needed to spend that much money, I would, but I don't. So I didn't.:p:D

Mine is just for plinking and fun. If I was going to compete, or I cared what someone else thought about my gun or if I cared enough what it looked like myself, I'd buy the Ruger. But I don't, so I didn't.:p

I have no doubt that the Rugers are the better guns. Maybe more accurate (maybe), certainly better trigger. I love me some stainless and real wood... but none of that is worth the extra monies to me.

Last edited:

CajunBass

Ruger MK anything. It really doesn't matter which MK.

I'd look for a used one but used is always my first option.

Cousin Pat

Smith & Wesson Model 41

The S&W Model 41 is the top of the line in rimfire pistols. Used by national level competitors for acute precision in competition, the Model 41 is considered one of the best .22 Target Pistols ever manufactured.

Match Grade: Model 41

A1. Precision, button-rifled barrel
A2. Crisp target trigger factory set at 2.75 to 3.25 lbs.
A3. Micrometer adjustable sight
A4. Ergonomic checkered target grips

JN01

I have a Beretta 21A and a 950BS. They are fun to shoot, but a poor selection for new shooters. The front sight is very hard to see. New shooters may have trouble with properly gripping the gun, and with the Berettas being so short, might inadvertently get a finger in front of the muzzle. Plus, it is much more exciting for a new shooter if they actually hit something.

I'd go with a Ruger MkII or a SR22.

Reloadron

While a useful little gun I see the Beretta Bobcat as more on the novelty side. As for a .22 LR target pistol? I like the Ruger guns like the MK II with a 4" or 6" heavy barrel or the Browning Buckmark guns. Those would be my choices for current production guns (well the Ruger would have to be used for a MK II) but a MK III could be had.

Ron

Quentin2

There are a lot of good choices in this arena. My favorite is the MK II but I also have a MK III that shoots well and its receiver is tapped for an included rail. It really depends on what you want.

Lee6113

Looks like results are all leaning towards a ruger or similar pistol.

Personally I like the feel of the ruger better than the buck mark (my dad has one). But the little beretta would be rather for me, not new shooters, haha. But I can see the wisdom in getting a more practical weapon first that I can let my friends and family shoot with me. The other week I was out with some friends and their girlfriends didn't really like anything but my .22s, which left them with only my SA revolver and my Ruger 10/22. They probably would've had more fun with a semi auto option...

T. O'Heir

"...A4. Ergonomic checkered target grips..." That can promptly be changed to Herrett National Adjustable Target Stocks. Moves the centre of gravity back into your hand. Expensive these days though. $99.95(didn't pay that much 35 years ago), but they work well. The stock grips are poor for target shooting.
"I want one." is the best reason to buy anything. However, what you want to do with it matters too. A Beretta Bobcat with the tip up barrel(comes in .25 ACP too. The Inox model is SS as well. Kind a pricey too. Mags can be really pricey.) is a big kid's toy(even us big kids need their toys, but they ain't for the FNG).
All Ruger .22's are entry level pistols. So is a Browning Buckmark. Either one of 'em will do for your purpose though.

rt11002003

Going by your criteria, I'd go with the Ruger Mark iii. Almost any model is readily available. I just purchased a new Hunter, the TALO model with a 5.5 inch barrel. It's a really nice pistol.

For more serious target shooting, I recommend the S&W Model 41. It's a superior product. In the same class, a couple of hundred dollars less, is the Hammerli Xesse Sport. Presently, I shooting the Hammerli with better results than with the S&W.

Another S&W I'd recommend is the Model 422. You'll have to buy used; they're not made anymore.

dannyb

I'll second Siggy-06. The S&W Victory has a good balance, excellent trigger, excellent sights, and is easy to take down for cleaning. The main concern is making sure that the take-down screw is sufficiently tightened when reassembling the pistol.

I'd also go with the S&W 22A, Model 41 (if you want to ignore the expense), or Beretta Neo.

I find that the Rugers are more complicated to take down for cleaning - a definite minus.

shootbrownelk

I'd recommend the S&W Victory. My friend just bought a Victory, he owns a Ruger bull barrel target .22 . He says he's selling the Ruger. The Victory is more accurate and easier to take down for cleaning. I prefer vintage, used S&W .22 revolvers myself.