Gonna buy first revolver

Lee6113

The next gun on my list is gonna be a wheel gun. But there are many types I'm considering. Rugers, Smiths, etc., and for sure I will be buying more than one in the next year, so this isn't going to be my only gun, just first revolver out of many.

Use: really just to have and shoot at the range. Already have carry guns taken care of for now, so now I'd like to get something pretty. Now that I'm getting a few guns in my inventory I intend to take more of my friends and siblings shooting.

Here are a few options already on my list:

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum
Smith and Wesson 686+ .357 magnum
Smith and Wesson model 10 .38 special
Ruger SP101 .22lr
Smith and Wesson model 29 .44magnum
Ruger Blackhawk .45acp/.45lc

And open to suggestions.

I know some are "prettier" than others, but eventually I'll probably get them all. Just looking for input and recommendations. Which caliber would you start with? Which revolvers did YOU just HAVE to have?

9x18_Walther

If you are going to buy them all at some point (great idea! :D) you really can't go wrong with a S&W Model 10. A few of the police trade-ins are still available if you want a good shooter at a good price.

The Model 10 has pretty much been the standard revolver for the past hundred years.

AL45

I really enjoy my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. But the only way I can afford to shoot it is by reloading for it. I also enjoy my wife's Ruger Single Ten .22 LR. I would also like a Ruger .357 magnum, but my next revolver will hopefully be a Ruger Redhawk .454 Casull.

CajunBass

If I could only have one revolver, it would be a Smith & Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece (38 Special).

Anything else could come after that.

Doyle

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum
Ruger SP101 .22lr
Whole lot of variation there in size and purpose.

GP100 and 29 are very heavy, large framed revolvers. 686 isn't far behind. Blackhawk is a single action (single-actions are a whole different ballgame in feel). SP101 in .22LR is a plinker. Model 10 is solid, old-school technology. However, if going for a K-framed .38 spcl I agree with CajunBass that you should spend a little more and get the model 15 instead (same revolver as a model 10 but with adjustable sights).

What are going to be the uses of this revolver? Do you handload? If you don't handload, what is your ammo budget? All this has bearing on what revolver would suit your needs best.

jimbob86

What are going to be the uses of this revolver?

ummmm.....

Use: really just to have and shoot at the range.

I like Ruger's Security/Speed Six guns..... slightly smaller frame than the GP 100's ..... slightly larger than Smith K-Frames .....

I REALLY like Colt Trooper MkIII's..... but they are out of production, parts are unavailable, and the sintered iron lockwork

can't be repaired, only replaced (see "unavailable parts") ......

Lee6113

What are going to be the uses of this revolver? Do you handload? If you don't handload, what is your ammo budget? All this has bearing on what revolver would suit your needs best.

Honestly, my primary reason would be to play with them at the range and enjoy owning them. :D

True, the functions are vastly different for most of them, but again that's not super important for reasoning in the purchase. Tho I am starting to lean towards something like a .22 or .38/.357 first. I'm also not opposed to buying something in 9mm or .45lc (as long as it as a .45acp conversion barrel). That model 15 is gorgeous, and I'm thinking something like that is what I'll end up getting first.

And honestly, the 44magnum probably will not be my first purchase, th eventually I want one.

I don't handload yet, but I will be down the road. This is why a .22 or 9mm revolver is open for consideration. I just don't know if I like the idea of 99mm in a revolver, it seems...odd. I'd rather get a .38 than a "semiauto" round.

lee n. field

Here are a few options already on my list:

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum
Ruger SP101 .22lr

And open to suggestions.

A snubby, just for kicks. You might find your carry options aren't as settled as you thought.

Of your list, I think I'd start with the 686.

Hi Lee,
I had the same question 6 months ago?? It was between a S&W and Ruger.
My needs were for actual carry and not just to go the range.
My pick based on my own experiences shooting the Smith and Rugers I picked the GP 100 4.2" 6 shot 357 mag. At 40 ozs. the balance and double action was
for Ruger.
It didn't matter what the cost was, it was based on personal experience of firing all 4. I went to my range and rented out 4 wheels in 357. 2 Rugers and 2 Smiths in 4 and 6"'s.
After that I picked the 4.2" GP 100.

I used snap caps for the fist month and when I went to Nashville's best gun smith wanting to reduce the trigger pull and etc. he told me do not do anything to the GP and that it was just fine the way it was. I was surprised because he could have charged me big bucks to modify my GP and I'd never know it. Honesty is always the best policy.
I thanked him and never looked back.
Good luck on your quest.
Doc

Doyle

One reason I asked about usage and ammo budget is that the cost of shooting factory .38 special loads is significantly higher than shooting 9mm loads. Going up to .357 is even more expensive and .44 mag is downright obscene.

There are revolvers which come chambered in 9mm and you'll generally pay a premium price for them but the price savings over the years in ammo purchases will easily outweigh the initial purchase premium. Of course, if you want budget shooting, a .22 beats them all.

For an affordable .22 revolver, don't forget the Ruger Single Six. You can pick one up new for less than about $400 and used for about $300.

Lee6113

Lee,
I had the same question 6 months ago?? It was between a S&W and Ruger.
My needs were for actual carry and not just to go the range.
My pick based on my own experiences shooting the Smith and Rugers I picked the GP 100 4.2" 6 shot 357 mag. At 40 ozs. the balance and double action was
for Ruger.
It didn't matter what the cost was, it was based on personal experience of firing all 4. I went to my range and rented out 4 wheels in 357. 2 Rugers and 2 Smiths in 4 and 6"'s.
After that I picked the 4.2" GP 100.

I used snap caps for the fist month and when I went to Nashville's best gun smith wanting to reduce the trigger pull and etc. he told me do not do anything to the GP and that it was just fine the way it was. I was surprised because he could have charged me big bucks to modify my GP and I'd never know it. Honesty is always the best policy.
I thanked him and never looked back.
Good luck on your quest.
Doc

I remember that! :D Since then I've rented the gp100 4" and 6" and decide I am going to get one. I just wound up rearranging the order. Subcompact carry guns came first (I also picked up a little derringer for $100 which I'd just for fun), and now that it's the revolvers turn I am again reconsidering the order I'm going to get them in. Gp100 may be first, may not. That's what I want to figure out by the end of this thread. :D

One reason I asked about usage and ammo budget is that the cost of shooting factory .38 special loads is significantly higher than shooting 9mm loads. Going up to .357 is even more expensive and .44 mag is downright obscene.

There are revolvers which come chambered in 9mm and you'll generally pay a premium price for them but the price savings over the years in ammo purchases will easily outweigh the initial purchase premium. Of course, if you want budget shooting, a .22 beats them all.

For an affordable .22 revolver, don't forget the Ruger Single Six. You can pick one up new for less than about $400 and used for about $300

That's why I'm thinking the Dirty Harry gun will wait, haha.
.38 isn't too bad for me... Another choice I like is 45lc/.45acp, especially now that I want a 1911 too (man, aren't I greedy? lol) and I like the guns sharing ammo.

A snubby, just for kicks. You might find your carry options aren't as settled as you thought.

Any specific brand and model suggestions?

Slimjim9

Use: really just to have and shoot at the range. Already have carry guns taken care of for now, so now I'd like to get something pretty. Now that I'm getting a few guns in my inventory I intend to take more of my friends and siblings shooting.
I'll vote for the GP100 with 3" barrel (or 4" but I prefer the balance of the 3"), basically because you can tailor how much fun you want to have to the shooter - from light .38 to heavy .357. Just two calibers but so much versatility.

mxsailor803

You'll be hard pressed to find any argue over a GP100 or a standard 686. I've never been a big fan of the 686+. Mainly because of speedloaders available. You can find them but not of great quality. I've got a GP100 and 686, for me, they are a toss up. The Ruger is built like a tank. Really heavy but easy and accurate to shoot. My 686 is a little bit lighter and every bit as accurate. If you are a reloader, Model 29/629 all day but only if you reload or are rich lol. Those things are expensive to "plink" with. The 22lr's are always a good place to start as well. I've owned a Heritage Rough Rider since the late 90's and have carried it and shot it to the point the finished has turned kind of a purple/blueish shade. It was my first revolver. I don't own a SP101 .22lr so I can't give any insight on that one. I do own a 617 10 shot. Outstanding revolver! Pairs perfectly with my 686, used the combo to teach my 6yo god daughter how to shoot a pistol. I have owned a couple SuperblackHawks as well and they are very nice SA revolvers that are VERY accurate (use to play around at 400yds at a man sized steel plate, took about a cylinder to figure out hold over). I do want a older 3 screw Blackhawk but to give to my grandfather. He bought one the year they came out and sold it before they became expensive. Many handgun shooters of older generations will tell you flat out, its very hard to beat a revolver. Granted I'm only 30 and still own more revolvers than semi's lol.

TheFlash

I have several of the revolvers that are on your list.

For your first (and it was my first), I would recommend the S&W 686.
Not the +, but the regular 686 with the 4" barrel.

I've had mine for nearly 30 years and it is still one of the most accurate handguns I have and just really sweet to shoot.
Nice that I can put everything from light .38Spl through full power .357 magnum rounds through it and all are accurate.
And, with my eyes getting older (not a consideration when I first got it), that orange insert in the front blade really helps...

As a side note, I recently bought a Ruger SP-101 with the intent of using to teach my kids. But, with the trigger pull weights being so heavy and even the effort it takes to pull back the hammer for SA shooting - nope.
Probably will just have my kids learn on my older Ruger MkII instead...

Go for the 686, you won't be sorry...

-Mike

Doug S

If you go Ruger, and want "pretty", consider one of the Wiley Clapp models (either GP100 or SP101). Good looking revolvers IMO. Me I just have the standard flavors of both, but I like them nonetheless.

lee n. field

Any specific brand and model suggestions?

All I can tell you about is my two. Stainless Taurus 605, never a problem, but now mostly sidelined in favor of my (much ligher) S&W 642, hammerless (the perfect pocket gun).

In both cases I did not care for the factory grips, and replaced them.

Obambulate

Instead of the Model 10 in .38 Special and SP101 in .22, I would look for a set of the S&W K-frame Masterpiece series. If you like a 4" barrel that would be Models 15 in .38 and 18 in .22. The 6" "target" models are 14 in .38 and 17 in .22.

It's hard to do better than these for medium frame revolvers chambered in .38 and .22. Outstanding triggers and legendary accuracy.

tallball

1) Ruger Single Six 22lr. That's what I grew up shooting. Accurate, durable, fun, perfect first revolver.

2) Medium framed 357. Perfect for range, plinking, hd, anything. I end up shooting mostly 38 special. If you want something a little bigger/longer/heavier, the Ruger GP100 6" is an awesome range gun.

3) For a large caliber, the Ruger Blackhawk 45acp/45colt convertible is an awesome gun. I shoot mostly 45acp. It is absurdly accurate.

I have shot all of those a lot, and have been a steady revolver shooter for 35 years. If I were starting over again as a younger man, those would be my first three handguns. A good 38 (or maybe 44 special) snubby would be the fourth.

I own S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc. I am maybe a Ruger guy if anything (though the trigger on my SP101 is horrible). Hard to go wrong with S&W. For more bang for the buck, the Taurus 66 (medium framed 357) and Taurus 85 (snub 38) can be very good for cheap. I have had a couple of late 1980's - 1990 examples of each, and they have been excellent.

The 32 magnum cartridges are absolutely fun and hard to go wrong with, too.

I love me some revolvers. You are going to have a lot of fun! :)

Lee6113

I am sure I will! I've actually been watching the dirty harry movies after looking up so many guns and now I want one even more, haha. But alas, it looks like my wife wants to upgrade her ski equipment! So my revolver may have to wait till after Christmas... :( I shall wait tho. I still need to break in my new pps.

jimbob86

I don't handload yet, but I will be down the road. This is why a .22 or 9mm revolver is open for consideration. I just don't know if I like the idea of 99mm in a revolver, it seems...odd. I'd rather get a .38 than a "semiauto" round.

If you don't handload, get the .22 ...... it's still cheaper than 9mm, even if you invest in automated equipment and buy your components in bulk....

.... that said, there is no easier round to learn to handload on than the .38 special ....... I have been faulted on this forum for being an advocate of handloading ..... but I base my advice on what I would do (in your shoes, "starting out"), knowing what I know now ...... Learning to roll my own was the single best thing I ever did, gun related ...... I shot more, and learned more, in less time, than I would if I spent and equal amount of money buying crappy ammo in bulk....... YMMV.