Gone With The Wind

ChasHam

There’s nothing quite as beautiful-- and satisfying to hold, handle and shoot--as a highly polished blued steel S&W K frame or comparable Colt revolver; even a slick 1911, High Power or pre-war Luger semi-auto. Mechanical works of art all; a joy to admire and exercise the smooth actions.

Now these contraptions you see these days at the range, in videos, in articles in magazines and online— ugh.

Odd-shaped hunks of plastic and fiberglas, dull finishes, square corners, gizmos sticking out at odd angles all over the place, funny two-part triggers, tolerances so loose you can edge a folded business card into many seams and junctions, frames done up in pink, purple, turquoise. Sheesh!

bamaranger

old school/new school

Chas, get what you're saying, it took me a LONG time to warm up to Glocks, P-series Sigs, and rifles with poly stocks. I'd still rather shoot and handle a 1911 than a Glock. Many of the current firearms just seem to have no soul, and some current handguns lack that certain "feel" in the hand, they're like grabbing a 2x4.

But the modern guns, the dang things, will shoot, are rugged as a brick, and affordable (well, used to be).

jr24

Lot easier to carry around that ugly piece of plastic all day long than my wonderful, beautiful, 1911s. Even the modern aluminium ones.

Then again, the ugly hunk of plastic shoots just as well in my hands as my fine, tight fitting, machines. Inside 20 yards anyway.

rodfac

There’s nothing quite as beautiful-- and satisfying to hold, handle and shoot--as a highly polished blued steel S&W K frame or comparable Colt revolver; even a slick 1911, High Power or pre-war Luger semi-auto. Mechanical works of art all; a joy to admire and exercise the smooth actions.
You speak the truth, Chas...Here are a few of mine: Smith M27 5" bbl. & a M18 in .22LR. & a Colt Diamondback in .22 LR. Best Regards, Rod

Lavan

I know the feeling. It IS a feeling. I've had and used and carried Glocks. Can't speak to other more modern composite/steel brands as the Glocks were answering my need for function over form and they ARE reliable.
Now, however, I am retired and enjoying my traditional blue steel beauties and marveling at the workmanship and quality.

I can afford to consider esthetics as well as a pleasant nostalgia.
The Glocks are sold now and I am sure they are serving new owners with the reliability and practicality they gave me.

I'm fine with my Smiths, Brownings, Colts, and Rugers.

They work for me just fine. In a different time.
:)

dogtown tom

Would I haul hay/manure/cattle/rocks in my Lexus? Oh heck no.
In a Ford F150? Yup

Same with firearms. I wouldn't take any of my Hi Powers or 1911's on a camping or canoe trip but would be perfectly happy with a Glock.

Nanuk

My carry gun is a Dan Wesson Vigil. It is my everything gun. camping, canoeing, working in the yard. If I need more horse power I can step up to a 10mm or 44 magnum.

stinkeypete

Korth and Freedom Arms still make legacy class revolvers. Custom builders for 1911 frame semi autos that are works of the machinist’s art are still available.

Back in the day, top quality beauties cost ten times the price of the cheap ones. A Python cost a couple months pay. It’s still true, but now due to mass production, cnc tooling, new materials, more forgiving designs and carefully tailored marketing programs and shooting games to make an average handgun seem competition quality... fewer people see the merit in owning legacy class handguns.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I like a pretty gun as well as the next guy. Which is why the guns I carry tend to be chosen exclusively for functionality and durability so my pretty guns stay pretty.

Pathfinder45

I wouldn't take any of my Hi Powers or 1911's on a camping or canoe trip but would be perfectly happy with a Glock.
Well said, but to each their own....
I look at it differently.... My camping and backcountry trips are too precious to me to bring a plastic gun, but an early Vaquero seems appropriate for me. I've even relegated my Shakespeare Ugly Stick to the loaner category while I fish with a vintage 60-year-old rod and reel. When I get to escape from the modern world for such moments, I try not too drag too much of it with me. But that's just me.

rodfac

I look at it differently.... My camping and backcountry trips are too precious to me to bring a plastic gun, but an early Vaquero seems appropriate for me. I've even relegated my Shakespeare Ugly Stick to the loaner category while I fish with a vintage 60-year-old rod and reel. When I get to escape from the modern world for such moments, I try not too drag too much of it with me.
Well said...and I'll add that it's with some pleasure I take wiping down the gun I've brought along and running a bore snake while tending the campfire. Just seems like I've stepped back in time to the days with my Dad in the early '50's...Cherry blend pipe smoke mingled with the burning pine...good memories there...Regards, Rod

shurshot

Agree 100%!
Smell of Hoppes #9 just doesn't garnish a plastic gun the same way it will a gun made of blue steel and wood.

Forte S+W

Meh, I lost my biased against polymer framed pistols a couple years ago once I started carrying them myself. They aren't as pretty as old guns, but lets face it, they don't have to be. Aesthetics were a lot more important back in the day when everyone carried their firearms out in the open on their hip, but nowadays that folks have long since started concealing their firearms, aesthetics have rightfully taken a backseat to functionality and ease of carry.

Polymer-framed guns could be made to look more fancy, but what's the point? It would drive up the cost significantly and nobody is going to pay hundreds of dollars extra for a prettier-looking gun that will just end up hidden away in an IWB Holster where the only people who will ever see it are the owner, a bad guy, police officers, and potentially a jury.

So yeah, it's like comparing a modern Pickup Truck to a vintage car. The vintage car looks nicer and is built sturdier, but has comparatively poor gas mileage, most likely doesn't actually run as smoothly under the same conditions, and obviously isn't as desirable as an everyday automobile you would use for transportation.

P Flados

I am half way in between.

I really am partial to stainless revolvers.

My big Dan Wesson 740 in 357 Max was my first revolver.

With the addition of a SP-101 in 327 Fed and a 4" GP-100 in 357 mag I can now shoot stainless revolvers in small, medium or large.

mk70ss

Is there not a place for both? I have many beautiful vintage blued steel and walnut guns that I admire and shoot. I also have a few plastic guns that are reliable and trustworthy enough to carry and rely on for self defense. The plastic guns have zero pride of ownership for me, but neither does the hammer or wrench in my tool box....

P-08 for beauty and ergonomics
C-96 for advanced engineering with interlocking parts (virtually no screws except grip screw) and one pin (for adjustable sight).
Python - wheel gun beauty and trigger pull.

ms6852

I know what you mean.
FADNi2Em.jpg