Golf Ball Target at 200 and 340 yards

Marquezj16

Off another post I saw a question of how hard would it be to shoot a golf ball at 300 yards. So I thought why not just do it. I had zeroed my Rem 700 .223 with a 4-12X40 Redfield Accurange at 200 yards using Hornady 55 gr SP and took five shots at the first golf ball at 200 yards. I made three hits. The other two shots were way off?!?! See first two pics. Then I tried the next ball at 340 yards. My range did not have a 300 yard backstop. Bad thing about that is the holdover points on my scope are at 300, 400, and 500 yards. 340 does not really figure in too well. But I set up to do it and missed by a wide margin on my first four shots. :( Then I got closer on my 5th and the 6th shot was really close. I finally hit it with my 7th shot. :D I took a 8th shot to see if I could do it again and missed. :eek: I still felt that the challenge is doable and will try again in the future, maybe with other caliber and rifle.

Attachments

• Golf ball 200yds.jpg
    Golf ball 200yds.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Golf ball 200yds (1).jpg
    Golf ball 200yds (1).jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 80
  • GB 340yds (3).jpg
    GB 340yds (3).jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 97

Doodlebugger45

Reminds me of a game a couple of my buddies play. They go out and set up an empty beer bottle with a golf ball perched on the lip of the bottle. It is set up at random distances anywhere from 100 yards to 500 yards. The object is to hit the golf ball but not the beer bottle. They alternate shots. The first one to hit the ball wins that round. Or if you hit the bottle, you lose that round. They call the game "Hostage". I haven't played yet but I watched them and it looked fun. And it is a pretty good way of developing your distance estimating skills as well as reading the wind.