Goldenrod - Best drill hole location

TJB101

Adding a Goldenrod to the safe this weekend. Will be nice to get rid of those desiccant canisters.

Question: best location to drill safe for wire? Top of safe, side of safe (top or bottom?) …. I don’t have the install documents which may outline this better so looking for personal experience from the masses.

Thanks, Tim

zoomie

My safe had a predrilled hole a couple inches off the ground in the middle of the back panel. I ran my power cord through that. Lower makes sense for the goldenrod because it works via heat.

FITASC

My Liberty had a power outlet installed on the lower right for plugs as well as USBs. My goldenrod sits in front of the door; I also use 3 desiccant boxes as humidity is typically 90% all the time

101combatvet

My Liberty had a power outlet installed on the lower right for plugs as well as USBs. My goldenrod sits in front of the door; I also use 3 desiccant boxes as humidity is typically 90% all the time
I added a power strip to mine. I have two goldenrods top and bottom, just in case one fails.

TJB101

Good feedback… thanks. No predrilled hole in my safe so I’ll need to drill a hole. Probably bottom left side

Reloadron

Good feedback… thanks. No predrilled hole in my safe so I’ll need to drill a hole. Probably bottom left side

I believe your answer lies in how your safe is situated. My safe is 1500 pounds empty and lagged to a concrete floor. The back is against a wall as is the right side facing the safe. The only place I can drill a hole is left side. So location determines what would work.

Winters where I am are dry so no problem. Summers I just use desiccant and during an entire season I may need to bake it out once. I also like to monitor the safe internal humidity and temperature every now and then.

You just need to find what works for you. :)

Ron

hub1home

I've had a golden rod in for over 30 years. I put it in on the bottom left, long gun section, about three inches from the bottom. It's been working fine there.