Gold Dot .380 availability

AndyWest

Does anyone have a reliable source for Gold Dot .380? Seems hard to find these days. Perhaps Speer has de-prioritized this load in favor of 9mm or something? Also, are these normally available in the (much cheaper) 50rd "LE" boxes?

No caliber/brand hating, please.

Cheapshooter

Is there any Gold Dot anything available anywhere?
Just don't see It in any caliber. Hording my last box of Short Barrel 9MM +P. Practicing with other loads, saving the Speer for carry in my CM9.
Been looking for over a year for 38 Spcl +P Short Barrel Gold dot to try in my LCR.

SHE3PDOG

While I do see a lot of 380 around, it seems about as common as 40 around here, I haven't seen anything Gold Dot in over a year. There are only a few on gunbroker right now even.

AndyWest

Is there any Gold Dot anything available anywhere?

FWIW, I've recently bought Gold Dot 9mm, 45, and 357 SIG from Ammunition Depot, my first purchases from them. Looks like GD .40 has just shown up there as well; I may bite.

Please resurrect this thread if you manage to get some GD .380 in-hand :)

amd6547

My LGS has had the 20rd boxes of Gold Dot 380 throughout the ammo shortage.
They have also had the Hornady Critical Defense and Federal Hydrashock 380, as well as 3 or 4 kinds of FMJ.

LockedBreech

I just check SGAmmo every now and then. Was fairly recently able to get a few boxes of 124-grain standard pressure 9mm Gold Dot for my 92FS. They also had 180-grain .40 S&W yesterday. You just have to check it regularly because it sells out pretty fast. Same story with HST.

I only think I've seen the .380 in stock 2-3 times total though. That one is elusive, and sells out in a blink. They do have .380 Winchester Ranger-T right now, though.

skizzums

if i shot 380 i would have to take up reloading, unless its just strictly a carry peice anddoesnt see the range much, but good thingabout 380 is you can handload with the readily available 115gr 9mm bullets once you get your brass

i know this isnt the answer your wanting, but i remember a year ago when i used to stress about ammo and it was literally just a 100$ investment to open the door to more bullets than i could use in a lifetime

i will never understand how a round that uses the same powder as 9mm(only less), the same diameter bullet(only less lead), and the same type of case(only less brass) costs 25-30% more at the store

heres the kit i got for 99$, has everything you need except for the 30$ dies
best money i have evr spent, after getting setup,
brass 50$ per 1k(free if you have been saving
primers 30$ per 1k
powder 25$ per 2k(so about 13$)
bullets 65$ for range bullets 160$ speer gold dot per 1k
so 170$ per thousand range ammo, or 270$ for one thousand gold dots

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-50th-anniversary-kit-90050.html

i know its not what you were asking, but i try to convince everyone i can because it has been such a blessing to me, not to mention my favorite part of the gun sport, sorry to hijack, just consider it if you shoot a considerable amount, its way easier than people think, especially straight pistol rounds

geez, this stuff is hard to find, heres a privae sellerw ith some, not a total rip-off, 1$ per round
http://www.armslist.com/posts/26565...ot--hornady-critical-defense--american-eagle-
this appears to be in stock here, backorder 2-4 weeks
http://www.policehq.com/Products/CCI-380GD1

Last edited:

igolfat8

Order some .380 ammo from Precision One. Its the best expanding and penetrating .380 on the market now and surpasses Gold Dot in performance. Look at the YouTube video link on Precision One's website under the .380 tab. I followed all of the testing done by Shooting The Bull and it was quite interesting to see how each ammo performed while testing it.

ShaulWolf

I see a lot of Gold Dots at my LGS. They're $25 for a box of 20 in .40, and they have a fair amount of .380. Now all that being said, I think I get more penetration and tumbling from a jacketed or plated .380 than I get penetration and expansion from a hollow point .380. That's from videos of testing and in person testing with 4 layers of denim and gel.

Sgt01

If you're still looking for 380 Gold Dots, try SWVA-Arms.com
Just ordered a few boxes of Gold Dots this past week. $18.89 for a box of 20.

fastbolt

While I use the .380 GDHP in my own LCP (when it's available as a qual/training load), I've also used the Winchester STHP & Rem HJP/BJHP (Golden Sabre), also available at times for qual/training, and I bought some Win RA380T at a LE distributor (for $25/50-rd box, which I thought was a bit expensive).

I use some available Win FPFMJ loads for occasional practice, but I also still run some of the various JHP's through the LCP periodically to confirm normal feeding & function.

One of the other instructors like to use the Critical Defense .380 loads in his Bodyguard (bought at his own expense), but getting enough of it to shoot much more than a couple of boxes seems difficult, even with his connections.

Well, all the .380 ACP ammo made by the big American names seems in short supply and expensive. ;)

Unsurprising, really, since I was told in one of my recent armorer recerts that the fastest growing and selling segment of the private citizen shooting market for the last couple of years has been .380 ACP.

Not hard to understand why the increase in new .380 pistols ... the "buy it all when I see it" mentality of the private buyers ... the normal production scheduling of the big name ammo makers ... combined with the growth of the .380 for authorized secondary/off-duty LE use ... may have all come together to make it hard for the ammo companies to catch up anytime soon.

FWIW, I wouldn't pay outrageous prices for any of the various .380 loads. Not any more than the current market will demand, at any rate.

It's still just a .380 JHP.

PetahW

Any .380 "shortage" might just be a regional, or specific dealer, "thing".

FWIW, last week I bought 6 boxes of .380 remington Golden Saber JHP's, out of about 40 boxes of assorted .380 ammo, a Southern New England LGS had on their shelves.

(The entire 6 shelves, of one 25' aisle on the floor of this LGS, is dedicated to commercial ammo of all kinds - except .22LR - with only a single 25' shelf dedicated to shotshell ammo)