Gold Cup sight fell off- need help

e'ville

I have a Gold Cup National Match Elite IX. I have already replaced the front sight once because it fell off, and now it's happened again. This time it is lost. When the sight is on, the sight picture is fine. In other words I don't really want a different sight. But I do want the sight to stay on. I'm reluctant to replace the sight with something not dovetailed in, or at least more endurable. What should I do? What do you think of fiberoptic sights? Any recommendations on a smith who does good work at a fair price? Thanks.

__

SteelyDan

But I do want the sight to stay on.

Doesn't seem like an entirely unreasonable expectation.:)

I think there was a thread about problems with sights on Gold Cups a week or two ago that had some useful information.

Jim Watson

A cross-dovetailed front sight looks good on a Gold Cup's ribbed slide when the ends of the dovetail are trimmed to the width of the rib. You can get about any style; post, bead, or F.O. And have them swapped out til you find one you like. Right now I am shooting a red F.O. I tried a green one and while it was fast it was too bright for precision. But that is for MY eyes, yours might be different. Sorry, I don't know a gunsmith to plug, but it is not a huge job for somebody who knows his stuff.

taco

The front sight on my SS Colt 1911 Series 80 broke off 4 times in first 3 years. They seem to break off every 3,000-4,000 rounds on mine. I have seen several other Colt front sight break off toobut never seen a SA break off. I finally had a dovetail cut and install a Ed Brown front sight which I profiled to factory front sight. I never had another problem with it.