Gold Cup 1911 Blued .45ACP Automatic S70 Remake

1969Colt1911

I had to do it, I bought the last Gold Cup from gallery of guns. Why because I Have always loved the Gold CUP. Its the one made like the S70 blued version. Any opinions appreciated guys. Its a chuck of change, but if its as good as all the hype no worries.

Ozzieman

I have an original 70 and a friend purchased a new stainless Gold cup. I don't know how it compares to yours but I found the following.
The trigger was not near as nice as my older one. I found it to be rough.
It did not have the tapered barrel bushing which a lot of people don't seem to like because they tend to break. Mine has shot a lot of rounds and never had a problem.
And the hammer was wrong. And it did not have an trigger adjustment for slack.
I don’t know if his gun was supposed to be a remake or not but it is a recent build.
I would like to see some photos.

Last edited:

RickB

Is that the flat-top model with the Elliason rear sight, or the round-top model with the Bo-Mar knock-off sight?
The Elliason is known to be weak, and the roll-pin securing it in the slide is prone to breakage.
One easy way to help it last longer is to cut a sliver of shok-buff or similar, and slightly compress it between the sight and the slide. It keeps the sight from bouncing up and down with each shot, and the sight should last longer.
Replacing the roll-pin with a solid pin will help keep the sight attached.

Ozzieman

Good point RickB. Even my old one had a similar problem. The original was a pin that kept backing out till I lost it. Had a gun smith make me another then he compressed it in the base to widen the out side ends and never had another issue again, now for over 20 years.

745SW

I never had the pin on the Elliason sight walk on three series 70 blue GCs. Know of another having issues and my guess is hardball was used. I only use LSWC or JSWC.

RickB

I don't think I've been in the presence of more than four or five Gold Cups on the range, but I've witnessed two of those pins breaking; three, if I include an old AMT pistol that used the same sort of pin as a pivot point for the rear sight.

I've heard that putting a slight bow in the pin will keep it from walking, if that is a concern, but it could make installation something of a hassle.

745SW

The GC series 70 will run/cycle reliably with a comparatively low powder charge of Bullseye using a 200 gr Speer LSWC bullet. The powder charge needs to be at max for the ammo to cycle reliably in other full size, 5", autos.

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, those sights used a roll pin that had a bad habit of failing/falling out. I replaced the roll pin with a solid pin and staked it to stay there. No one ever reported another problem.

Jim

Ozzieman

Mine has had very few factory. Over 90% have been lead with a soft load of W231. When I bought mine (used) it had a solid pin which backed out all the time shooting light loads. I even have a frame buffer that I replace every year.

KyJim

Ozzieman said: I have an original 70 and a friend purchased a new stainless Gold cup. I don't know how it compares to yours but I found the following.
The trigger was not near as nice as my older one. I found it to be rough.
I believe that, at least the newer models, the Colt Gold Cup Trophy models (the stainless Gold Cups) have a Series 80 firing pin system and the Colt Gold Cup National Match (blued) has the Series 70 system (no firing pin block). That might explain some of the difference. Looks like the OP bought the National Match.

I have the Trophy model. I would not describe the trigger on mine as "rough" but it is heavy for a target pistol. One of these days I'll get around to getting that fixed.

RickB said: Is that the flat-top model with the Elliason rear sight, or the round-top model with the Bo-Mar knock-off sight?
The Elliason is known to be weak, and the roll-pin securing it in the slide is prone to breakage.
According to Colt's website, both current models of Gold Cups sport the Bomar style sights. So, the OP should have no concerns of pins breaking, etc.

1969Colt1911 said: Any opinions appreciated guys.
The pistol is a nice all-around 1911 that should prove to be more accurate than you. The gun comes with two recoil springs, a standard 16 pound spring and a lighter spring (12 or 14#) for reduced power target loads. I use the standard spring and full loads.

If, by chance, the trigger seems a bit rough or heavy for your tastes, a few hundred trigger pulls/rounds will help. I'm betting your Series 70 will be a bit better than my Series 80 -- that's been my experience with Colts.

Enjoy your new pistol when it comes in!

Last edited:

1969Colt1911

Yes it's the new blued S70 National Match GC. Sure looks pretty, But believe me don't sell any S80 short I would not be pissed to buy another. Have owned two Sts Trophies. Bought and sold many moons ago. Again thanks all advise and input everyone. I will post and/ or add shooting comments. Stay safe and shoot straight.

1969Colt1911

It does bother me how things are blown up. I've had two I owned S70 guns with original collet bushings. Shot many rounds, took apart put together no problems.

I had a Gold Cup made 1968 , and it never ejected rear sight. I shot it like it I was drinking Koolaid on a hot day. Best gun I ever owned. Don't trash talk, talk of personal experience. I know most do, just talking to those who aren't.

RickB

I had a pistol with a Gold Cup slide.
Within maybe 300 rounds, both the elevation and windage adjustment mechanisms broke. I had already relaced the roll pin with a piece of drill rod, due to my experiences described above.
To avoid future issues, I paid handsomely for installation of a Wilson Combat rear sight that was designed specifically to replace the Elliason or Accro rear sight on Colt slides, and soon broke two of those.
The third one was a keeper.

DSCN0122.jpg

1969Colt1911

Me to Rick B I run off about this and that. But in my experience I have most luck with the Colts and I have had many many. So I win and many lose does suck to me also. But sell me your trouble I will buy.