Going through Canada with gear and components.

Ed Dixon

I'm planning a move to Alaska next year and will be driving. Does anyone know if bringing a couple hundred pounds of bullets and a couple thousand cases, along with my trunk of equipment, would cause any problems? I would be bringing no loaded ammo, no powder and no primers at all.

mtnboomer

I would expect a long delay and many questions from the Canuk authorities. My advise would be to ship the bullets and cases to someone or someplace in Alaska and pick them up when you arrive. As for the reloading equipment, if you don't have any of the components onboard, they probably won't say much - but you never know! I would contact the local Canadian embassy for more information - but don't expect them to know anything.

Thirties

I agree about not expecting the Canadian folks at the local consulates (their embassy is only in Wash. DC) to be able to give you a straight answer -- I've tried that before.

If you are going to be crossing into Canada before your move, it may be a good idea to ask the folks at the actual check point for their opinion. Ask them to give you a written set of guidelines. That would be very helpful for you.

As far as I know from my crossings into PQ from Maine, they always ask you if you are carrying three items: firearms, ammunition, and pepper spray.

Also, there is more scrutiny of those driving rental cars than those driving their own vehicle.

I've no experience in the West or Alaska, though.

ps: if they ask you "Do you have any guns?", for Christ's sake don't be a wise guy and tell them about all the guns you have at home. They will not be amused; and you may face a long search. This happened to a friend of mine.

smedley

Went to customs. BOTH SIDES!!!

Hey Ed,
Read your post the other day. I work for a Pipeline Co. and one of my duties takes me up to Sumas WA real close to the border crossing. So being the fact you needed an answer and I had a sourcre, I went to Canada Customs first and then to our folks.
The Customs official for Canada said that all reloading components, no matter how many, would not be a problem. He did say that most rifles and shotguns would be just fine but, you have to declare them. NO HANDGUNS across the border. You will have to ship them. The other stipulation was no more that 5000 loaded rounds TOTAL. Yes I had to ask if it was 5000 per caliber, you should have seen the look on his face. I explained that 5000 in a caliber was not uncommon for us reloaders.
Anyway back to the border. He said that if you were to go to "canadaborderservices.com or .ca (he wasn't sure) and fillled out the "firearms declaration" form JUS909 it will help you through the border.
Now the other side: no problem on components or rounds but all firearms have to be declared and registered at crossing and then declared again when going back into the states. The customs agent said they have you fill out "certificate of registration" for the firearms at the border and with a customs agent.
Hope this will help you out Ed and anybody else that is thinking about going up or for the folks coming down.

mtnboomer

Ewwww...that's too much paperwork looked at by too many people with too much authority to make too much trouble for me by getting too much into my personal business for me to feel too happy about it. Oh, did I mention I didn't like it? :mad:

I would make arrangements to have it ALL shipped from the "Lower 48" to the "Land of the Midnight Sun" so the Canadian gooberment woudn't know anything about it! ;)

BILLY D.

I'M WITH SAM. EXCELLCENT SUGGESTION. ALTHOUGH DRIVING THROUGH CANADA IS BEAUTIFUL THE NEXT ALASKA VISIT I MAKE WILL BE BY THE FERRY. IT MIGHT EVEN SAVE MONEY.

THERE ARE SOME NICE FOLKS WORKING THE CANADA SIDE BUT THERE ARE SOME OF THE MOST IMPOLITE, INDIGNANT, *******S I HAVE EVER MET ALSO. DON'T EVEN MENTION HUNTING, FISHING OR GUNS TO THOSE *&^% HEADS. IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE A PIECE OF CRAP. AND THEY LOVE TO BAIT YOU. OR I SHOULD SAY ENTRAP. IT WOULD BE A COLD DAY IN HADES BEFORE I WOULD EVER GO ON A HUNTING TRIP ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BORDER.

OTHER THAN THAT CANADA IS A GREAT PLACE. :barf:

Ed Dixon

I appreciate the info so far. Anybody have experience with the ferry system? I'm ultimately bound for Anchorage.