Going rate for a S&W 66-3

Hunter2678

Got a chance to look at a S&W 66-3 3" from a local guy whose the original owner..says the gun is in excellent shape and has put about 500-800 rounds through it, wants $675.00 for the gun that includes 2 speed loaders, hardcase and LNIB CT laser grip. I told him Im not keen on the CT grip and would prefer the factory grips only.

If I can get him to agree to sell with the factory grips only would $525-600 be about right with ? $600 being on the top end? From what Ive seen the price range on these go all the way down to $425 on up..

carguychris

The 3" barrel is the rarest barrel length on the M66, and many people consider it the most desirable for CCW because it's the shortest barrel that can physically accommodate a full-length ejector rod. The somewhat more common 2-1/2" guns have a "shorty" rod that is not long enough to push a .357Mag case all the way out of the chamber. This is not a factor with most reloads because the cases usually fall out by gravity, but it could be a show-stopper if a case splits or bulges.
From what Ive seen the price range on these go all the way down to $425 on up..
IMHO $550-$600 is fair market value for this gun if the finish is good. Most sub-$500 M66's are the more commonplace 4" or 6" guns, primarily the former.

Hunter2678

Yeah, Im aware that the 3 inchers are the ones to get..that's really the only reason Im considering getting this one. I know the 2.5 and the 4 inchers are more commonplace but when I saw he had this for sale and is the original owner who owns a gunshop I thought "man I may wanna take a long hard look at this one" :D

Smaug

Stay on Target!

I don't think you've even shot your 625 yet. Do you know for sure you already want another revolver so soon? They're not for everyone, and you came up on autos. The price is not so good that you have to worry about passing it up.

I had a 64, which is a fixed sight version of the 66, I believe. It was a piece of garbage police trade in, so I have a foul taste in my mouth about the model. It was probably shot with a lot of 357 and shot loose.

CTC laser grips cost about $220 new. I have them on my SP-101, and they are BRILLIANT. SO easy to hit with indoors. Makes the sight radius a non-issue. Not as good outdoors at ranges of more than 10 yards.

If you buy it, get the laser grips and try them. If you don't like them, you can turn them around on gunbroker pretty easily for $150. Even then, at $525, it seems a bit much for that gun.

Get a good 22 first. Trust me, you NEED one. Revolver or auto.

Smaug

If you really think you want the gun, offer him $600 with the CTCs. You will like them.

Find some wood grips later for posting pretty pictures, but the CTC grips make the SHOOTING part better. ;)

Hunter2678

Smauger!!! :mad: I got the fever man...let me live like a rockstar will ya!! the 66 3 inchers are the cats behind....he said he'd do $650 but that still aint enough to make me hop all over it..I do want a 357 tho...maybe I should just get a hammerless sp 101 nib for under 500 bones and be done w it..

Smaug

SP-101s are nice, but...

...you need a 22 handgun first. Trust me on this, man. You can always afford to feed a 22; not the case for centerfire.

BTW - Here's my SP-101:

96e2335d.jpg

950b3c06.jpg

4b20aa7b.jpg

I know, not helping the fever, right?

This is what you need, rock star. :cool:

26307.jpg

Smaug

By the way...

... they made SP-101s in 22LR with windage adjustable rear sights for a while, but they're worth a mint now. Not nearly as good a buy as a gently used 617.

BigJimP

A man cannot have too many S&W .357 magnums .....model 19's, 27's, 28's, 66's, 686's .... in 2 1/2", 3", 4", 5", and 6" ( I don't like the .357 mag in 8 3/8" )....have to know your limits ...:D

I wouldn't want the grips either ...but then I just bought a model 27-3 on saturday / to get the wood finger groove orig S&W grips - that he wouldn't sell me seperately. He had the ugly rubber hogue grips on the model 27 --- and it had a few nicks and scratches on it ...so I didn't want the gun. He had the wood grips sitting on the box / and I offered him $100 for the grips and he wouldn't take it / so I bought the gun, box and grips for $ 750 and I'll resell the gun down the road -and put some standard wood target grips on it.

That 3" is a pretty rare find / I wouldn't pass it up for that price ....you might not see another one for many years ....

Hunter2678

I know BJP..It makes me mad cuz its just extra $$ i dont wanna spend on the gun...he's dead set on keeping them on too..I stuck on the fence with this one...:mad:

BigJimP

Sure, I understand .....but if the grips fit the gun ...I probably wouldn't sell the gun without the laser grips either .... / or the case or whatever I had that was specific to that gun.

Just remember, long after the price you paid fades from your mind --- you'll be very happy with the gun ...if you really want it. But I will be the first to admit / I've been guilty of paying for orig boxes, etc - that I didn't want and don't collect ...just to get the gun.

MLeake

If you don't want it, refer him to me. I would love to add a 3" 66 to go with my 3" 13 and 65's.

Ah, it was a 2.5". Never mind.

The full length ejector rods on the 3" guns make a huge difference. Also, MSRP on the CT grips is $200; could easily sell used ones to recoup $75 should you find an actual 3" 66 in a similar scenario.

Last edited:

540mope

Looks like its a 2.5 incher afterall, I guess my quest cntinues....

your quest may continue forever if you are seeking a cheap 3" 66.
if it had been an actual 3" you would have erred in a big way by passing it up for that price on account of the CT grips....but since it's 2 1/2", all is forgiven:D

Doc Intrepid

Go for it.

Buy it. Try it.

If you don't like the laser grips, sell them separately.

If the gun is in good condition, and it's what you're looking for, chances are likely you won't find one like it in the near future.

Why settle?

The difference in price is a nice dinner at a restaurant with a bottle of wine.

(Don't tell your wife that...she'd probably rather go out to dinner. ;) )

Hunter2678

It was a 2.5 inch Doc...Im passing it up....at least this week I am...if he still has it after another week or so I may revisit...he did agree tho to take the CT grips off and do 550.00...but knowing how I am it would bug me that its not the coveted 3 inch I was looking for.

old bear

Hunter, as others have stated, the 3" K frames command a premium. They are not making an more of them, and prices have gone up in the last few years, and no one believes that this will change anytime soon. The price of $675.00 is what I believe to be the high end of the fair price. So if you can afford it and want it go for it.

Update to your update. A clean 21/2" at $550.00 is not a bad price, not a smoking deal but still not bad. Again if you really want it... go for it.

Slamfire

I don't know if I ever saw a 3" M66. That is a rare pistol.

Hard to believe that these are now worth $600.00 plus dollars. I suspect they used to sell for $250.00.