Going hunting with a Win model 94. Need some advice

arkie2

I will be going hunting in Nov but I won't be able to take my rifle (.270 Win Savage) with me. I will be using a Model 94 Win 30-30 instead. I hunted with a Win. 30-30 in my youth and absolutely love the rifle but I need some advice. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I want to mount a scope on the rifle. From reading about them I gather they are not conducive to scopes. The other option mentioned was peep sights. I probably won't be shooting over 150 yards. Scope or peep sights? Which is best for this rifle?

OJ

I like the Williams 94/36 aperture (peep) sight. It requires a taller front sight at .430" above the dove tail - at least that's what I have and it works well. My eyes correct to 20/20 bot, at age 81, aren't what they once were and, for the distances you mention, that combo should work well.

BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

PA120007.jpg

The front sight is from XS Sights.

:D

williamd

Average shot in U.S. is just over 70 yards. Most of mine have been less. But, the M94 will take a side mount and works just fine thataway. If you really expect to make 150 yard shots with an (essentially) unknown rifle then either break for the mount and scope ... or a lot of practice ... with the peeps.
Guided a young guy for Mtn Goat. Saw a nice Billy about 400 yards off on a slope looking directly at us but not too excited. Kid asked, 'Now what?'. Told him 1) I could keep the goats attention and he could sneak around the mtn side and come in from behind. Probably an hour+ in the country we were in. 2) Or, he could use my 7MMM across his pack and kill the Goat from where we were. He opted for the latter. Then, when I told him to hold for the middle of the left horn he gave me a bug-eyed doubting look. I said, 'My rifle, know the drop and wind is across us.' Boom! Once. Nice mount in his den. Thanx for the opportunity! :) 160g Nosler Partition, 65g Scottish H4831, Mag primer, Norma brass ... I still have it! Yep, the very, empty case.

arkie2

Average shot in U.S. is just over 70 yards. Most of mine have been less.

Honestly, I expect any shot I take will be less than 150 but threw that out as the max. I've never used peep sights, only open and a scope, so I'm looking for some advice as to which would be better (especially since I've read that mounting scopes on a Win 30-30 is not feasible). Never shot with a side mount either. ?

OJ

I must have been half asleep last night when I posted. I forgot to observe the Williams sight is FP 94/36 (for Fool Proof) and AFIK, Winchester 94 rifles are drilled and tapped for mounting those sights for many decades. Thus, gunsmithing isn't needed to mount it - just remove the two screws and install the FP 94/36 and take it to the range and zero it.

This is the left side on my Winchester 95 but it looks the same as the one on the 94 -

WFP71GR-XSSIGHTS.jpg

In fact, I remove the aperture and use it as a ghost ring sight - just as accurate and faster to pick up the target.

TPAW

My eyes aren't what they used to be

That being the case, I suggest a scope. You want a good clean kill right? Shooting out to 150 yards is a fair distance. With open or peep sights, and what you say about your eyes, a clean kill is questionable. Why take the chance of wounding the deer and have it run off. Depending on the terrain you will hunt, are you a good tracker? That's another consideration to think about.

Smokey Joe

'Scope or peep...

Arkie 2--My eyes aren't what they were when I was young, either, but I still can't recommend a 'scope for a 94. You have to use a side-mounted 'scope, you get no cheek weld on the the stock at all, and for me, it's just all awkward and wrong.

I'd recommend the peep sights. You must be able to see a deer @ 150 yd, so you surely can put a front sight on its kill zone. Of course, the more you practice before yr hunt, the better you'll be at this. But you'll be holding the rifle as it was meant to be held, and your head will be where it's supposed to be, not cranked off to the side.

BTW, I just sold a 94 for a friend of mine, which had a side-mounted 'scope, so I do have recent experience with this. Ugh.

To me, there is no question as to which to use. Go with the peep sight.

arkie2

"That being the case, I suggest a scope. You want a good clean kill right? Shooting out to 150 yards is a fair distance. With open or peep sights, and what you say about your eyes, a clean kill is questionable".

I would like to use a scope but mounting one on a (borrowed) Win 94 is problematic. Peep sights seem to be the only option but I've never used them so don't know how much use they would be. My eyes are corrected to 20-20 with glasses so I might have to hunt with them (never done that). I'm also going to look into shipping my own rifle (scoped) out where I'll be hunting. Because of my travel plans I won't be able to take it with me.

arkie2

Smokey Joe

I was looking at some peep sights on Cabellas web site and it looks like I can get a sight for about $60. Would I need to replace the front sight with all peep sights as well? I see that's recommended for some sights per OJ's post.

Smokey Joe

Peep sight front sight

Arkie 2--Best answer on the front sight for peep sight is, "It depends."

Each peep sight will have its own height. If the peep sight you use has about the height of the original rear sight, then the original front sight will work. If the new peep sight is much different in height, then it will require a new front sight as well.

'Fraid I'm not well versed in the peep sights available for installation on a 94. Check with yr gunsmith.

arkie2

Alleykat

Yeah, that's my preference after looking into putting something on the 30-30. Gotta look into shipping alternatives.

Old Time Hunter

arkie2,

The Win '94 is the "REAL" rifle, all the rest are just pretenders to the throne, here in the USA anyways.

First off, is it an AE (angle eject) ? If it is, any scope will mount without a problem. My suggestion: A Bushnell Dawn to Dusk 1.75 X 4 w/6" eye relief. About a $100 mounted on medium height steel "Weaver" style mounts.

Second, if not, the suggestion of the Williams FP will slap right on for about $40 from Midway or Brownells. Generally the front sight, if ramp mounted, will work if sighted in for 100 yards(just barely with a .30-30) or more. Just make sure the bolt has clearance between the bottom of the receiver sight and the top of the bolt.

Third, if you do not mind spending $90 on a great peep sight, look at the XS Ghost ring from XS Sight Systems (used to be Ashley). Gives you both the front sight and rear aperature system, ask for a .400+ front sight for a 20" barrel....it will work fantastic! Escpecially if you have old guy eyes like mine.

Below are two of my '94 Winchesters, first a Black Shadow with scope and second a '94 BB w/XS Ghost Ring.

94WinBlackShadow444002.jpg
94WinBlackShadow444001.jpg

94WinBB375002.jpg