going 2 a 243

castnblast

been shooting 22-250 for quite some time, but in discussing a rebarrel for faster twist with a local gunshop owner, he suggested that I go to 243. I had been thinking that in the back of my mind, and so I traded up. I have several powders that will work - IMR 4064, H4895, H4350, benchmark, and H4831. The latter I think will be too slow for the lighter bullets. So - I'm thinking of going to H414 - appears to be a good powder for 80-100gr. bullets.

The gun will be a HOWA 1500, 1:10 twist - bullet probably a speer 85gr - 100 gr. BTSP. Would like input on experience with above powders/suggestions. I'm experienced reloader - 20+ years. Plan on doing full work up, just looking for experiences with various powders, and open to other suggestions.

Edited - I'm going to 243, because what I'm asking my 22-250 to do is essentially what the 243 was designed for - I want a fast 70-80gr bullet that will shoot flat as a pancake at 22-250 velocities.

Shoney

Interestingly enough, I prefer the 6mmRem for accuracy and velocity, but have worked up loads for several 243’s. The 10 twist will stabilize 60gr thru 100gr bullets.

For strictly 243, the Sierra 85gr BTHP was the best light bullet, supreme accuracy. Hornady 100gr BTSP, and Nosler 100gr Partition were the best performers at that weight.

Powders for the 85gr bullets were IMR4831, IMR4350, IMR3031, W790and H414. The 100gr powders were Nosler IMR4831, IMR4350, RL-19 (RL-22 gave higher velocity but 19 had better accuracy), Hornady BTSP IMR4831, RL-19, and for lower velocity tack driver IMR 3031.

As an afterthought, I seldom got best accuracy out of 243's at max charge weights. The only exception was the 4831.

Last edited:

dlb435

Do it, the 243 shoots very flat, low recoil and enough power for deer. I picked up a 243 this year and really like it.

Buzzard Bait

sierra 85 gr bthp

I use a near max load of IMR 4350 with a sierra 85gr bthp performance is great in my rem 700. Your welcome to try it out if you would like to.
bb

castnblast

Yeah, my experience with most calibers I reload for is that my accuracy round was typically about 1 gr. under max. I'm not concerned about speed, but accuracy - I load for accuracy first, then chrono just to see what I'm getting to satisfy the curriosity.

Buzzard bait - see PM I sent you. Take you up on that as soon as I pick up the rifle next week. Actually, probably the week after next - my wedding anniversary is next week, so I won't be shooting it till after that.:rolleyes:

reloader28

243 is perfect for deer and varmints. I'm with the 4831 guys. I use IMR. In both my Savage and Rem with 95gr SST's, they shoot 1/2" and smaller at 100yds. I always have best accuracy at or near max loads in both guns.

t45

From 95gr to 115gr (VLD Bergers) I use H4831SC most of the time. I have used H1000 and Re-22 with good success also.

castnblast

Have you guys had any heat issues with the mentioned powders? I was leaning toward Hodgdon powders because they claim to be more heat resistant. H414 is out - I thought it was extruded and found otherwise. I have some IMR 4064 and H4350 and H4831. A lot will depend on what bullets I can find. Looking for 80-85 gr. SPBT's. May go to 100 gr. if I cannot find the 80's. Varget is a consideration if I can get 80's. Too fast for 100gr. will go with one of the 3 above or all of the 3 above to work up my test loads.

wncchester

I've had both a .22-250 and .243 for decades, love both. Killed ground hogs and crows with both to a bit over 300 yards, about as far as I've had shots.

I got my .22-250 Browning Safari HB in the late 60s while it was still a wildcat. My .243 is a Howa made Weatherby Vanguard. I got it around 1972 I think, anyway it was the first one I ever saw, just a couple of months after the first ones hit the shelves. They've both been very good rifles.

Using 4064, 4895, 414, Varget has been effective in both for varmint weight bullets. Like a 4350 with 100 gain game bullets for deer and have really never found it to be any less dependable than my 7mag and .30-06 for whitetail.

Been playing with Barne's Varmint Grenades for both cartridges over the last couple years. They have been VERY fast and very accurate with Varget.

Last edited:

huntinaz

With 100gr bullets, i've had better luck in accuracy with IMR 4895 over H4831. IMR 4064 was goo too. Lots of folks like the 4831 though. Good luck.

reloader28

Sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that I used to use 4064 with good results around an inch or so at 100yds. The IMR4831 just tightened it a bunch for me. I never tried the Hodgdon even tho I have some.

T. O'Heir

Been using IMR4350 with Speer 90 and 105 grain bullets for eons. Consistent minute of deer accuracy. My Cooey M71(bedded M70A walnut stock, floating 1 in 9.5 twist barrel and trigger job. Black phosphate on the steel. 2.5 to 8 Scopechief.) won't shoot any better than that.

castnblast

Got the gun - working up test loads with Hodgdon hybrid V100. Never used it before. will see how it goes. Also, working up some loads with H4350 and h4831. we'll see which ones it likes best. I pulled it apart and did some trigger work this evening. It is sweet! Light pull, took the overtravel out. Over adusted the sear too much at first, and it locked up the safety. once I figured out that was causing it, no sweat. Made me a bit nervous at first because I couldn't get the safety to work.:eek: It works now...:D

Doodlebugger45

Tell us how the Hybrid 100V works out. I just bought some as well but haven't loaded any of it yet. It's supposed to be in between H4350 and H4831 which is a good range. I looked at the powder and it has little bitty kernels which look like they should meter very well. I'm hoping it will work well for my 243 and maybe my 270 WSM.

E.J.W.

x2 on Buzzard Bait's load.
I started years back with Hornady's 70gr SXSP which is now no longer made. I ran a 43 gr charge of IMR4350 and had great results on woodchucks out to 300 yrds. I was given two boxes of Sierra 85 gr HPBT so I backed off a bit on powder and worked back up finding the 43 gr charge was the point where the 85 gr Sierra's performed their best as well. I had planned on trying Hornady's 75 gr V-Max with the demise of the SXSP's but after trying the 85 gr Sierra's I will be staying with them. The 70's shot only a bit flatter than the 85's.
Good luck.
E.