Go to guns. Then and now

Willie Lowman

My first "go to" gun was a Ruger Redhawk .44mag. It was the under the bed gun as there was no room on or in the bedside table for it. I first loaded it with 240gr JHPs. After doing some reading and some searching I loaded it with .44 specials. I knew they were weak but I could shoot them easily with my right hand while the left held a light.

I briefly kept a Colt 1991A1 loaded with Barnes solid copper HPs. Great bullets.

I switched to a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and .38 +P hyadrashocks. This was because my girlfriend couldn't remember how the Colt worked each time she picked it up.

Then the Glock bug bit me. I picked up a G22, stuck a SureFire light to it and filled the mags with Golden Sabers. That's where we are today.

I have had a Mossberg 590 or a AR-15 carbine floating around in addition to the handguns...

maustypsu

mine

I started with a S&W 686, 7 shot. Always had a shotgun nearby too until the baby came about a year ago. I think it will be the XD 45 with night sights that I just got. Will always have a revolver nearby too.

RioKid

I have had several through the years. Colt Trooper Mark III, S&W Mod. 27, SBH, CA Bulldog Spec., just to name a few. Right now my edc and go to is my G23. I also keep my G27 loaded and handy and sometimes carry it. I don't keep a long gun loaded any more.

Kreyzhorse

My first was a Glock 22. It is still in the arsenal but it's now backed up by a 686, a 1911, a LCP and a snubnose .38.

Elvishead

I started with my S&W Sigma SW9VE good old Remington 115g HP from WMart. After I got my CZ75B I sold my Simga to my brother, but I didn't like the weight of the CZ. I like the flickability of the Sigma much better in close quarters, and I felt I could draw it much faster too.

Then I got my S&W 327 R8 scandium aluminum 8 shot .357. That replaced the CZ75B.

After that I bought a S&W Airweight (38 +P) for carry, that has been my main goto HD gun, but I do keep the 327 with .357 DPXs handy too.

All that being said, if I never sold my Sigma, that still would have been my "Goto" gun loaded with GDHP 124g+P.

Go figure!

J.Netto

My go to/house guns are always a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911, and a Glock 17 with a weapon light attached. Also a Rem. 870.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's time for a new camera, sorry!

Attachments

• 06-06-09_0117.jpg
    06-06-09_0117.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 705
  • 06-06-09_0120.jpg
    06-06-09_0120.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 709
  • 06-06-09_0121.jpg
    06-06-09_0121.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 702

Mose Jefferson

Always had the old Winchester .30-30 propped up in the closet, but as I am temporarily stuck in the city for college, she's been retired. Too many neighbors.:eek:
Now it's the standard combo: 12 gauge 870 and a .357 GP100.

nate45

My first go to gun was my Winchester Model 37 with a modified choke, I loaded it with OO Buck shot for HD. I backed it up with whatever handgun my father had loaded. I used that from when I was 6 to 10 years old, then I got a Winchester Model 12, it was a plain field grade that had started life with a full choke, but had been cut down to a cylinder bore. I kept it for years. My first serious defense pistol was a 4 inch blue .357 Magnum Colt Trooper Mk III, that I got when I was 14.

Now at the present time I have an Mossberg 500 with a 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel loaded with #1 Buck, backed up by an M-forgery and an Sig Revolution STX. I have a large pistol collection, so at various times the handgun next to me will vary, but if it is not a 1911, it is usually an N-frame Smith, Model 29-2 or Model 57.

100_0549.jpg

Sig Revolution STX, .45 ACP

Coldiron

Rossi .357 snubbie. Now an assortment! :D Usually my 1911 .45 or S&W 4053. Still use the Rossi great little gun! just uncomfortable to carry.

David the Gnome

This is the gun in my night stand so I guess that makes it my go-to gun.

glock19od01.jpg

There's also the Mossberg 500 12 gauge in the bedroom closet though. :D

2cooltoolz

Depends on where I'm "going to". :D
My Bedside gun and carry gun for years was an S&W Model 36 J-frame, with a 12 gauge in the closet.
My Bedside gun now is a SIG P226 9mm, and my main carry is a Kahr PM9, and there are a couple of 12 gauges in the closet.
If I'm bailing out, it would be the P226, my AR and a 12 gauge from the closet.:D