Gloss rings vs. matte rifle?!?

ARDogman

So I ordered some rings from eBay, figured I would like to have them here by the time my rifle gets here. I didn't read the details closely enough, and it appears that I've ordered gloss finished rings for a matte finished rifle! Do I just ship the rings back and get a matte set, or is there something I could do to make them match? I was thinking of a matte clear coat, or some sort of buffing to get the shine off 'em. The only reason I was thinking of doing this was to save some time (I'd like to not have to wait an additional 10 days for my matte rings to come in.) Anyone else have a brainfart like this in the past?

fyimo

It depends on the seller and he may be willing to exchange them if he has the correct rings in Gloss. He will expect you to pay the return shipping and new shipping charges on the replacement ones.

You can also take like 400 sandpaper or a scotch bright pad and dull up the gloss ones you bought.

uncyboo

You have a couple of options. If they are steel, bead blast and re-blue with any of Brownell's cold blues, OxphoBlue is my personal favorite. Or, whether steel or aluminum, bead blast and paint with Brownell's Alumihide (for aluminum),or Teflon/Moly oven cure (for steel). OR, do what I would do and keep the gloss rings for a future project and order some matte rings the suit your immediated need. If time is a problme, mount the scope in the gloss rings until your matte rings arrive. Just means more tinker time with your gun, which is always a plus.

Picher

It's your rifle, so do what you feel is right. I have matte scopes in gloss rings and it doesn't bother me. My scopes are black and one rifle is stainless.

I prefer black scopes on my hunting rifles, since they don't show up as much in the woods. I use black or camo tape on my stainless barrel to hide it, but haven't worried about a shiny black scope or rings. Deer don't seem to get concerned at 200 yards or more. :D

ARDogman

Rings came via UPS moments ago, they aren't as glossy as I figured they'd be. Once the rifle comes in, I'll mount 'em and see how it looks. I don't think the CZ 527 Varmint is all that much of a dull matte blue as some others, if you know what I mean. I'm hoping between the Burris rings being not too glossy of a gloss and the CZ receiver being not too rough of a matte, they may go well together.