Glock's new G40 chambered for 10mm with 6" barrel ?

WIN1886

I've never owned a Glock but want a 6" barreled 10mm badly to conform to the hunting rules of a neighboring state for deer ! I do not want to spend 3500 to 4000 dollars on a long slide 1911 but do like the grip size of the standard government model 1911's ( even preferring thin grip panels ) ! I was wondering if the grip size of a Glock would be too big for my preference or is there a way to change or reduce the thickness for it ? Thanks , I can't wait to hear more about the new G40 !

WIN1886

I'm not sure the G40 is even available yet but will try other Glock's at the local gun shop to see how the grip feels !

Bongo Boy

I have medium sized hands with what I think are fairly short fingers--in any case, I have the G20sf which I believe is very close or identical to the G40 in the grip area. I don't find it 'comfortable', but it's got nothing to do with size and I wouldn't say it was objectionable, either.

I'm not a big Glock fan really, but I own two in 10mm, and what I feel they offer includes:

1) what i believe to be a strong (very strong) barrel, slide and lock up
2) the easiest take-down of any gun I'm familiar with
3) high quality barrel fit and finish
4) 10mm in a double-stack configuration--as God intended
5) an unlimited supply of extremely inexpensive replacement parts and after-market parts if you go for that sort of thing

If you can find a range that rents full size glocks you might want to shoot one--like the big 45, which is rather much a pleasure to shoot IMO.

It may be tough to find a G40 anywhere, although I believe folks are picking them up here and there. You will almost certainly find the "early adopters" over on GlockTalk, and specifically in the "10 Ring" sub-forum, where those who like Glocks and love 10mm congregate.

Personally, even with my 'medium' hands, I believe I would prefer the feel of the fatter Glock to a 1911 in 10mm. I used to absolutely love the 1911, but now find it small and not that great: larger grips I find to be a big benefit for actually using your weak hand and for distributing shock a bit better.

Also, an option for you MAY be to just get a readily-available G20 and drop a longer barrel into it. I don't know if that is compliant with hunting regs, but if so, you would have what I believe would be 'the same thing'--but without the milled-for-optics feature of the G40. A $40 Glock-Burris adaptor solves that problem, I believe. It's an option.

Beware: it is almost certain once you start shooting 10mm you will want to shoot more 10mm. :)

Last edited:

11mm

I have a gen 3 G20 short frame and its perfectly comfortable to shoot, even with buffalo bore admittedly its a short frame but that difference was so small it didn't factor into my choice at all, they had that one in stock and the only non sf 20 was a gen 4 so I picked out the 20sf

Ruger45LC

The G40 will have the same frame as the Gen4 20/21, it's not bad at all and I think it feels great. It's not real small, but it's not BIG. You could also drop in a 6" barrel into a G20 but it won't look as good.

If you like a 1911, STI makes a few 6" models that don't cost $3K+, you could get. Heck Rock Island makes a 6" 1911. You could run .45 Super out of one and it would satisfy, likely, state laws. From a 5" I can run 230gr .45 Super to over 1300 fps, that's a lot, more than 10mm even.

Bongo Boy

...and Fusion Firearms manufactures just about all their 1911- and 2011-based models in 10mm as well, although your're going to likely be looking at $1,500 to get started I think, at a minimum. Another option is the Tanfoglio Witness Hunter, a 6" 10mm all-steel double-stack that's about $1,100-$1,150. IMO it's a beautifully built 1911-style that's exceptional, and far exceeds in fit and finish what its price might suggest. I wouldn't see the double-stack to be important for hunting, but you've got 15+1 there if you need it.

I find the grip significantly more comfortable than either the 1911 or my G20 Gen 3, and I believe it is at most 1/8" greater in width than a 1911. It will not have the aftermarket parts and barrel options most Glocks have, if that's important to you.

Last edited:

dakota1911

Para had a 6 inch slide/barrel 1911 variant called the LE Hunter I think in 10mm. It had adjustable sights, ramped barrel, and a rail. The one I saw about 8 months ago was $1.2K.