Glocks, concealed carry, and chambered rounds.

Longshot

For those of you who use a Glock as a CCW, or have some insight on this, I'd like your opinion.

I know that if a quality belt, shoulder, or IWB holster with a trigger guard is used, then having a round chambered is not of great concern. But what about pocket carry, nylon-type holsters, fanny-packs, and thunderwear :eek: ? Do you use a trigger block, or carry with an empty chamber, or what?

My only concern with empty chamber is that it could cut down response time, or that the noise of racking the slide could alert a BG to my presence if I'm out of sight, attempting to get the drop on him, or just trying to prepare myself while in hiding.

I appreciate all comments.

Longshot

------------------
NRA/GOA/SAF/USMC

Oregon residents please support the Oregon Firearms Federation, our only "No compromise" gun lobby. http://www.oregonfirearms.org

BB

I use a kydex paddle holster. As long as there is something covering the trigger you should be OK. If not, use a Safe-T-Block.

9x19

I guess it all depends on your level of comfort with the Glock trigger.

I sometimes carry my G26 in an Uncle Mikes Nylon IWB holster. It is quick to grab and slip on. It is very secure and keeps the metal off my hide and the sweat off the metal. It is soft, but nowhere near loose enough to allow something to actually depress the trigger thru a full firing stroke.

As long as you don't have anything else in your pocket or fanny pack but the pistol, then I can't see any way for the trigger to be depressed accidentally.

Try this; carry it for a week with the chamber empty but the trigger set and see if you run into any situations where the trigger gets pulled thru it's full firing stroke.

I bet you won't.

------------------
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!

Marko Kloos

I'm carrying a G26 in an ankle rig, and a G29 in a cheap, soft Uncle Mike's IWB. Sometimes I will tote either gun along in a Bagmaster fanny pack (holsterless), and I've carried Mexican style for short periods of time. I always carry chambered, and I've been ND-free so far. In order for the Glock trigger safety to deactivate, you need to exert force onto the trigger from straight on. Try pushing the trigger back by putting pressure on it from the side without holding the trigger safety down, and you'll see what I mean.

When I first started carrying Glocks, I used the Saf-T-Blok for a few weeks, but it's really not a necessary item. If you are concerned about the safety of the Glock system, carry yours around the house for a week Mexican-style, cocked but unloaded. You'll see whether the striker went "ca-chik" at some point, but I can predict that you will still have a semi-cocked striker after a week.

BMiracle

My G30 is always ready to rock-and-roll. Never had any problems. They are right, it takes a lot of pressure directly on the trigger to fire a round.

Tecolote

I know that if a quality belt, shoulder, or IWB holster with a trigger guard is used, then having a round chambered is not of great concern.

This is true for all firearms not just Glocks.

But what about pocket carry...

Pocket carry w/o a holster is a bad idea all around. Too many things can go wrong.

nylon-type holsters...

Not a problem so long as they cover the trigger guard.

fanny-packs...

A well made fanny pack will have an inner holstre to hold the pistol secure. You don't want to get a generic fanny pack or one that just carries the pistol unsecure. Drawing will be a lot harder with a generic pack and safety is compromised. With a quality pack designed for firearms such a Galco, D&S or others, the pistol is held in place making drawing easier and increasing safety.

and thunderwear...

Never gave this any thought. I just don't see how you could draw efficiently without embarassment with one of these rigs. ;)

------------------
"Get yourself a Lorcin and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol."

EnochGale

This topic has been pounded to death on Glocktalk.

Glocks are safe with a quality holster and if you are smart enough to keep your finger off the trigger.

If you carried unchambered you are much slower in an emergency despite the claims of the Israeli carry folks with their squatting and racking under ideal conditions.

Tomas

I carry my Glock 20 IWB but without any holster at all. This allows me to tuck in my shirt and with the right shirts, you can't hardly tell I'm carrying.

I just get sick of looking like a dirt bag with my shirt untucked all the time.

Never had a problem with the trigger getting depressed as far as I can tell, i.e., I haven't shot off my arse yet.

Tom

jimmy

I regularly carry my G26 in a pocket, with a round chambered. But I always use a pocket holster (Galco).

Fanny packs are another matter. The pack I generally wear has a rather narrow opening for accessing the gun and a strip of velcro around the opening (I use this pack because it doesn't look like a gun pack). I'm fairly certain it's safe--but fairly certain is not certain enough. So I carry a different gun in this particular pack. I expect that a Glock would be fine in a fanny pack of a different design.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I carry my Glock 27 in a Galco belt-slide,
thumb break holster; no "pocket carry".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member