Glock vs HK vs SA1911 vs XD

Metellus

Went to range with some buddies to shoot the following, all brand new due to a recent gun show :)

HK P2000 v3 9mm
HK USP 45 cal
HK P7 9mm
Springfield Armory TRP Operator 1911
Springfield Armory MC Loaded 1911
Glock 19
Glock 17
XD 9mm

Some comments.

Accuracy was about the same for all the handguns. My buddies and I shoot around 500 to 1000 rounds a week and at this point we're so used to these types of handguns that after a couple rounds to get acclimated they fire all the same.

SA TRP Operator vs MC Loaded shot about the same. Sure the construction of the TRP was much better esp when examined in detailed but in terms of shooting I could not tell a difference.

I wasn't that impressed with the P7 (much to the disappointment of my friend a P7 cultist). I think it'd make a great pocket gun but since I always carry with a holster I don't see any special advantages about it. Very unique design in that the trigger is absolutely slack and won't do a thing unless the grip cocker is fully pressed. The grip actually cocks the gun so the trigger is single action.

I like the P2000 over the USP in terms of feel. P2000 had a snappier recoil allowing me to get my aim faster for follow up shots.

I liked the glock trigger better than the P2000 since the glock has a much shorter trigger reset. With a glock after a shot I can hold the trigger down let go a bit until it clicks and pull for immediate firing. With the USP/P2000 after a shot I have to let go of the trigger a bit until it clicks but then pull for a bit until it fires. The glock fires immediately after pulling after the click.

I'm not sure why HK had to make the trigger reset longer but for supposedly a single action why is the trigger so damn long? I have the same complaint about the XD.

The XD was worrisome. Besides the rust issues (a sign the finish must suck) it seemed to warm up the fastest out of all the guns (ie hot to the touch!). I generally love SA products such as the M1A and 1911s but something about the XD made it seem like the cheapest made out of all the guns tested. Still it was as accurate as the others.

Basically the best bang for your buck (quality and price) was the Glock. At $450 or less for a new glock at most gun shows you can't beat the reliability, quality, accuracy. That being said I'm bored with glocks and my new carry gun is the P2000 (then again it cost me $700 for a new one). I shot it as well as my glock after 1 range visit (and I've been shooting glocks forever). As much as I don't like the long trigger reset I felt the P2000 has better workmanship and in terms of size equivalent to my Glock 19. Plus I like having a DA/SA in that I just feel safer with a DA (safety + restriking) even though I never had an accidental discharge with the glock. Still the glock seems the most cost efficient (even glock mags are half the cost of HK mags). Plus in terms of accuracy... the P2000 was not any more accurate in fact it was slower on follow up shots compared to the glock due to the trigger design.

The two most overpriced guns were the TRP operator and the P7. Both were around $1300. And they didn't shoot any better than guns worth almost half as much. But I'll give props to the TRP for workmanship, and for a pocket gun the P7 has a distinct advantage.

I think moral of this story is that once you get used to these guns... they pretty much all shoot about the same.

BradS

Wow, what a smorgosboard of weapons. Sounds like a great day. The info was interesting. Thanks.

Greg Bell

Accuracy was about the same for all the handguns. My buddies and I shoot around 500 to 1000 rounds a week and at this point we're so used to these types of handguns that after a couple rounds to get acclimated they fire all the same.

You are amazingly fortunate to have all these friends with such experience (1000 rounds a week) and money for brand new copies of all the best guns. I wish I was so lucky.

I wasn't that impressed with the P7 (much to the disappointment of my friend a P7 cultist). I think it'd make a great pocket gun but since I always carry with a holster I don't see any special advantages about it. Very unique design in that the trigger is absolutely slack and won't do a thing unless the grip cocker is fully pressed. The grip actually cocks the gun so the trigger is single action.

As Tamara once noted here, you would have to have amazingly large pockets to carry the P7 as a pocket gun. Of course, since you were so busy shooting 8 different guns (all very popular with loyal followings) it is excusable that you did not recognize any of its many special advantages.

The XD was worrisome. Besides the rust issues (a sign the finish must suck) it seemed to warm up the fastest out of all the guns (ie hot to the touch!). I generally love SA products such as the M1A and 1911s but something about the XD made it seem like the cheapest made out of all the guns tested. Still it was as accurate as the others.

Although I am probably the P7s biggest fan, it seems hard to believe you shot it much and you believe that the XD heats up faster. Did you guys shoot more than 4 mags through the P7?

the P2000 was not any more accurate in fact it was slower on follow up shots compared to the glock due to the trigger design.

This will change in time. You are just used to the Glock.

The two most overpriced guns were the TRP operator and the P7. Both were around $1300. And they didn't shoot any better than guns worth almost half as much. But I'll give props to the TRP for workmanship, and for a pocket gun the P7 has a distinct advantage.

Once again, it sounds like you didn't shoot the P7 much at all. It is way too big and heavy for more than a few minutes of pocket carry. You should give it another try. If you didn't shoot it enough to determine that it gets MUCH hotter than the XD, then you didn't get a chance to learns its advantages or its faults. Give it another try.:)