glock trigger spring doomed to fail?

JohnKSa

Administrator
In close to 10K rounds through various Glock pistols I've never broken a trigger spring, but they are generally considered to be the most likely part to break in a Glock.

If you're worried about it (and you shouldn't be) you can do one of the following.

Sticking with the coil spring
Be careful when installing/removing the spring not to nick the loops with a pair of pliers or other tool.

Chamfer the hole in the trigger bar where the spring loop fits through to reduce the chances of breakage.

Replace your trigger spring at regular intervals. They're quite inexpensive.

Trying a different spring.
Install a 3.5lb (-) connector and an NY1 trigger spring. I've never heard of an NY1 trigger spring breaking. The trigger pull will be different from the typical factory setup, but some folks actually prefer the NY1/3.5 combination over the stock spring and connector.

iijaded

Some frames seem to have issues with this. I know of one guy who has this happen too often, but shoots competition with it. My most used frame has over 50k rounds and going. Of my other nine frames with 10's of thousands of rounds through them, still no issue.

Drock

I've also heard that that spring can be a problem, but with 15K rounds thru my 26 I've had no problems. I've detail stripped the gun several times for cleaning and have never seen any indication that the spring was worn. I do keep several spares. They cost less than $2.

Dave

Chris_B

Everything made by Man will fail

I'm not a Glock guy but I am amazed at the breadth of worry over parts in Glocks

Amin Parker

I have had the displeasure of witnessing and experiencing the trigger return spring letting go.

What frustrates me is that its unpredictable. Some let go in 2thousand rounds, some 10k, some 20k.

That little part is an enigma

jglsprings

Everything made by Man will fail

I'm not a Glock guy but I am amazed at the breadth of worry over parts in Glocks

I could not agree more with Chris. But I would modify his statement a little:

I am amazed at the breadth of worry over guns.

This quest for the holy grail of zero failure amuses me no end.

fastbolt

There are a number of what Glock considers wearable parts in the gun. They can wear under normal use. Not surprising. As an armorer for some different make/model firearms commonly used in LE work, I'm not exactly surprised when I occasionally encounter a part which has worn out (either at a reasonable point or earlier than normal), broken/failed or been damaged.

Up until recently the trigger coil spring was considered one of the wearable parts Glock recommended its LE armorers periodically replace in .40's being used by LE. The more recent listed recommended replacement interval was every 5,000 rounds in the .40's. (Consider the recoil forces generated by the cartridge.)

Then a while later I was told by someone from Glock that the current trigger coil spring (light gray color) is now considered a lifetime part.

A recent change to the hole in the trigger bar is also intended to help extend the service life of the spring.

I knew they had made some changes in the trigger coil spring upon occasion, with at least one of them reportedly involving the way the spring was heat treated, and it seems they now think the service lifetime of the current spring is going to be pretty long ... unless they change their minds sometime in the future, of course. ;)

FWIW, I've seen other parts break in LE Glocks, but I haven't had to replace a broken trigger coil spring. At least, not yet. ;)

It's not something I stay awake worrying about, though.

P-990

With the thousands of Glocks out there, I imagine if the problem was that bad, it would be more than a few dozen people posting about them on the 'Net. Mine has gone about 10k rounds or so and I don't expect to replace it soon.

What I find odd is that the local city PD uses Glocks in .357 Sig and their instructor told me they had experienced locking block and striker failures. Not sure how prevelant that issue was though.

And I agree with jglsprings, the quest for a zero-failure firearm by some amuses me at times. If it hasn't broken down or malfunctioned, you're either very lucky or just haven't shot it enough. I see practicing stoppage drills on the range as a very good thing. Be prepared for that failure to happen, clear it and continue on. Kind of like a flat tire on a bicycle. It's going to happen eventually, know what to do when it does.

Last edited:

10mm4ever

The trigger return spring is the Glocks "achilles heel". The real issue isnt the spring per se, it's the burrs on the cruciform that the springs end passes through. It's not a design issue, just a by product of a mass produced item. It's rare, considering how many are out there.

varoadking

Pretty standard for Glocks, one of the reasons they came out with Gen 4 guns.

Not so sure it was one of the reasons, but it is certainly one of the areas they addressed:

One more reason to be less concerned about coil type trigger spring breakage; the new Gen4 trigger bars have a change on them where the coil spring hooks onto them. That part of the trigger bar has been altered so the hook of the spring rides against a more contoured piece of metal. This way all the pressure put on the spring’s hook isn’t in just one spot like it is on the original trigger bars. It appears to be a good way to minimize spring breakage. I can easily say that Glock would probably be making this change to all of their trigger bars, the only downside might be that one would need to be sure to install it correctly.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you don't want to buy a new trigger bar you can just chamfer the hole in the trigger bar that the spring fits through. Don't go crazy, you just need to round the edges on either side of the hole to eliminate any burs or sharp edges left from the manufacturing process.

There's a slight downside, however. The new part comes from Glock already chamfered and plated so it won't rust. If you chamfer an existing part you'll cut through the plating which will eliminate the rust resistance in the tiny area where the plating was compromised. Not a big deal, but there you have it in the interest of full disclosure.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Even without a trigger spring a Glock can be quite easily made to function properly.

Here's a video that shows how.