Glock Trigger Question

kraigwy

I never had anything to do with a Glock. Don't own one nor have I shot one. I am curious, are all Glocks double action only? If not which model isnt and what cals. does it come in.

HuntAndFish

They all use the same trigger mechanism Kraig. They are all "kinda" a light DOA in that the trigger pull is always the same.

They are all so boringly similar...:)

Last edited:

AK103K

They arent DAO. More like sorta DA. They dont have a second strike capability, which really isnt an issue, as its just a waste of time anyway.

If youre familiar with the HK G3/MP5 series of triggers, they are similar to them.

While they dont look like much, they are a very practical, functional, and shootable pistol. They wont give you that warm and fuzzy Colt 1911 feeling, but then again, you wont cry because that pretty Colt blue didnt hold up to a couple of months of your caustic sweat. :)

If you dont have one, you owe it to yourself to get one and see what they are about, if for nothing more than familiarization. Watch it though, they tend to grow on you.

drail

Partially pre-cocked striker fired designed by a guy with no firearms experience and who used to design curtain rods and cabinet hinges. Ever use a staple gun? Kinda like that.

geetarman

kraig,

You are missing out on a good gun. My G21 is stone cold reliable and one of the most accurate .45s I have ever shot. You can state your feelings 15 times as fast as you can pull the trigger.

A G21 with a 3.5 lb. trigger is a joy to shoot. I have several .45s ( S&W, Glock,CZ, XDM and Sig ). The Glock, by virtue of size is probably the softest shooting and easiest to rack.

I hear a few complaints about Glocks in general but it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I bought a Glock for my daughter when she went to work for the agency and she bought another after she got to Virginia. My son has two and a G30 is his carry gun and he CAN shoot that thing.

I shoot regularly with an LEO and a Glock 22 is his duty gun and he has another as his BUG. His wife is in the same PD and the same for her.

They recently were issued new guns and this guy and his wife drove to Prescott to buy back their duty gun trade ins.

Give it a try. I really think you will like them. A Springfield XDM is a very similar gun with the advantage of interchangeable backstraps. The trigger on my XDM is decidedly spongy up to where it locks up and is ready to go. The Glock is much better. I have not fallen out of love with the XDM but it is not my favorite.

The thing about the Glock is it runs best with not so much lube. Follow the Glock manual and you will not go wrong.

Let us know what you find out. I read your posts with great interest and would value your input.

Geetarman:D

Terry A

All Glock pistols are delivered with a standard trigger spring from the factory that's meant to provide constant trigger pull resistance over the entire trigger travel.

But, you can also get what's known as a "New York" trigger on the Glocks. The NYPD wanted something that had a longer and heavier trigger pull. It's meant to more mimic a double action revolver type trigger pull.

The NY1 has a trigger pull that's a little more like a revolver trigger pull than a standard Glock.

The NY2 has a trigger spring that's even harder than the NY1 trigger spring.
It's more geared to feel like a long & HARD revolver like increase of the trigger pull. It can go up to 11 lbs of trigger pull as compared to the standard 5 1/2 lbs of trigger pull on "standard" Glocks.

Personally speaking, I like the lighter trigger pull on my Glocks. I've shot the NY2 style trigger and didn't care for it.

HotShot.444

Pay no mind to nay-sayers.

7,000,000 (Yah, MILLION!) Glock owners can't be all that wrong. They're a nice gun, and they repeatedly put holes right where you aim, every time.

chris in va

I wasn't looking at getting a Glock, but they have a way of warming you over.

Trying to transition between DA and SA during an IDPA match was a pain, and realized the DAO trigger would really shine in that manner. Very short reset too.

Mosin44az

I wouldn't call the action DAO, even though Glock somehow sold the police agencies on that.

Very light, short action. A partially pre-cocked striker, with a short travel.

Really more like a single-action in its travel and weight.

You can get the "New York" connector and other options to get a heavier pull weight if you want that. Not aware that you can get the travel longer than it is.

Eagle0711

They are mushy with a lot of take up. A lot of shooters can do really well with them. The reset is somewhat snappy to me and more distance than a 1911.

jmr40

Technically they are all DAO. But the first 1/4" or so of trigger pull is really just taking up the slack in the trigger. After that MOST of them have a pretty crisp 5-6 lb trigger pull much like a 1911 with a heavy pull. Reset for the next shot is very short.

I emphasized MOST about the triggers. Some, especially the older ones have a soft mushy feel to them. Most everything in the 3rd generation Pistols I've tried have felt very crisp.

Glock specs say their standard trigger is 5.5 lbs. They offer a 3.5 lb trigger that comes in some of the target models and it can easily and cheaply be put in any Glock. Some police departments specify a heavier 8+ lb trigger that is optional as well.

ebachman

ARGH!

Still waiting to pick up my 2nd gen 22 from the FFL. Our schedules are diametrically opposed. Shot my bro's 27 before we moved from NJ. Nice controllable, consistent discharge.
That coming from a guy who cut his teeth on 1911s...

roklok

Technically they are NOT DAO. They are closer to single action than double action. The striker is retracted when the slide closes. When the trigger is pulled, the striker is retracted a bit further, then released.

I have a lot of respect for Glocks, but do not care for the trigger. It feels mushy to me, and then "snaps" as the striker is released. The plastic trigger has flex in it which contributes to the mushy feel. There are aftermarket aluminum triggers which may help this aspect.

I was a 1911 shooter, and then went to a Law Enforcement Academy for 5 months, away from my 1911s, and was forced to shoot a Glock 22. I did pretty good with the Glock, qualifying expert and taking honors as top shooter. However, upon completing the academy, shot my issued Glock 22 which I had put thousands of rounds through over the last few months side by side with the 1911 with which I had not fired for 5 months. I outshot the Glock handily with the 1911. The trigger is the reason. Glocks are a accurate handgun, but for me at least, the trigger is not conducive to shooting to my ability.

jmr40

They certainly feel more like a single action trigger. I won't argue that point, but by definition they are classified as DAO.

ElrodCod

Th stock Glock trigger feels like a 2 stage trigger. The first stage finishes cocking the striker & the second stage fires the gun. I wouldn't call it "crisp" because most people get a 1911 connotation when you say that but it isn't unpleasant. They have a very strong reset compared to other striker fired guns making double taps & follow up shots pretty quick once you learn to shoot to the reset. I'm sure the OP is thoroughly confused by now so my advice would be to find a range that rents them & run a couple of boxes of ammo through one. Then go out & buy a Gen 3 G19.:D

Dc9Loser

The stock glock trigger is OK, it is not as nice as a typical 1911, However:

Since there are so many Glocks out there you have lots of reasonably cheap and easy upgrades which will help make the trigger a bunch better.

I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb connector in both my Glocks and it works very well. I generally hit what I aim at and if I don't it ain't because of the trigger.

That upgrade cost me $55.00 including the Gunsmith fees. If you are handy you can upgrade the trigger for as little as $10.

One more thing to add is that if you are going to rely on a gun you will have a hard time finding something as boringly reliable as a Glock. Just read an article with one gun writer that has over 300,000 rounds out of his Glock 17. After he bought it he fired over 10K rounds through it before its first cleaning, with zero failures. I'm looking for a nice 1911 right now and it seems that every brand I hear has problems at least some of the time or with certain ammo.

kraigwy

OK I tried the glock trigger. I see no advantage of the glock over the Sigma.

My Sigma is reliable, yet I can shoot cast bullets in it. It's trigger isn't that much different then my 642.

I was hoping for something with high capacity mag with a trigger like my Gold Cup for shooting steel.

Guess I'll stick to my Sigma if I can't do it with 7 rounds.

ElrodCod

The advantage of the Glock trigger is it's snappy reset. Very fast follow up shots are possible when you get used to it.

chris in va

My Sigma is reliable, yet I can shoot cast bullets in it.
I only shoot cast lead bullets in my 21SF, and I shoot steel also.

I'll check the barrel after 100 rounds, and there is zero leading, unlike the Sig 220 I had. The poly rifling in the Glock is pretty unique, the lands are simply rounded over, compared to the more octagonal shape of my Kahr's rifling (which does lead a fair amount).

Last edited: