Glock: Surface Rust

Chris Cullen

Just a few days ago I pulled my Glock 34 from its storage case and noticed that on the left side of the slide near the actioning grooves at the rear of the slide, was some spots of surface rust. I have never encountered this before, including the previous Glock that I owned. These light brown spots were highly visable, and I was able to carefully remove the top layer by using a small flat head screw driver from my Leatherman wave. I covered the surface with an antioxidising solution which removes the oxygen out of the steel and prevents further rust.
Unfortuneatly, the surface rust has left very small "pitting" marks which there is nothing that I can do about it.

My assumption is that it was caused by how the firearm was stored after my last competition shoot about a month prior. The Glock was cleaned properly and all finger print residue and dust/dirt cleaned off in the usual manner before it was secured in the safe. I do not use any solutions or chemicals that would affect the finish on the firearm.
I transport the Glock in a foam padded pistol case, in which I think is the source of this problem. I'm guessing that when the pistol was placed in the case it was hot from use and being under sunlight. I have heard of stories in the past of moisture being trapped in the foam linings of the case, and over time leeching out onto the firearm. Strangely, this has never happened to me before, as my previous Glock was stored exactly the same way.
In future I will store the glock in a lightly oiled bag and see if this eliminates the problem.

Has anyone encountered this before? What was your solution?

Chris Cullen

jonathon

How long has it been in the foam?

Have you used any sort of metal brush on the gun?

Did you wear the gun in a holster before putting it away?

Any other areas with rust on them? If not, I'd be trying to figure out if anything different contacted the spot that rusted.

Glocks CAN rust, but it takes a lot of abuse. The spot the rust is in could suggest that it was in a holster and the slide was against your skin... some people's sweat can be pretty evil on metal.

Simple solution is never put a gun away without a wipe down of CLP

IronBalls

hard to believe... b/c

my buddy had a beretta, two sigs and a glock taken by cops for over a year (long story, wrongfully accused) when cleared he got his guns back, all rusted solid except the glock (apparently they were stored in salt water the entire time the cops had them)

shotgunner427

why would a firearm be stored in saltwater for any other reason other than spite? (which is what im assuming the cops did it out of?)

stevelyn

Do not store guns in cases with foam or cloth interiors nor should they be stored in holsters.
The material in the case absorbs mosture from the air and eventually ends up causing rust on the firearm.
Leather holsters present another problem as most leathers contain acidic tanning solutions from the tanning process (most common is tanic acid). Under normal use the residual chemicals won't hurt anything. However, store a handgun in a leather holster for a long period of time and it will eventually rust where moisture has been drawn into the leather and acted with the residual chemicals.

Chris Cullen

Just to answer a few questions:

Firstly: Ironballs - yes I was under the same opinion that Glocks didn't rust. I thought that it would require some serious infliction of injury or soaking in some chemical of some description to really make an impression. However, my eyes did not decieve me and law and behold - there was elements of rust. Not major, but still... something that I was definately not expecting!
In relation to rusting glocks, I do have photos of a glock that was submerged in chemicals in a stream for a couple of years. Very sad looking slide covered in rust and the ejection port is half corroded away.

The other questions:

How long has it been in the foam?: The maximum time was approxiamtely 4 weeks after the last competition shoot.

Have you used any sort of metal brush on the gun?: Never. I don't believe in using anything that would scratch the surface in any way. I would not even put a toothbrush to the surface if I was under the impression that it was going to mark it.

Did you wear the gun in a holster before putting it away?: Yes, but the holster does not come in contact with that section of the slide. It is an open ghost holster which holds the trigger section only and leaves the whole slide exposed.

Any other areas with rust on them? If not, I'd be trying to figure out if anything different contacted the spot that rusted.: Yes there was actually. At the front end of the slide just to the right of the muzzle. Just one small spot. Another was located on the opposite side of the slide were the surface rust occured. Again.. one small spot.

As I had mention in the inital post, I have not done anything out of the ordinary with the care for this Glock. My G17 which I had for about 3 years prior took more punishment and never looked a day older than new.

I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get the digital camera out and take some photos. I was more concerned about getting it off. The aftermath of the antioxiding solution is not pleasant. I might have a go at photographing that, but I see no point really, as it was the rust that everyone wanted to see.

Chris Cullen

Always store a weapon oiled.

I have found fibreglass pens to be very effective at removing light corrosion; they are nowhere near as abrasive as emery or wet/dry. You can be very precise and just act against a small area.

Jack Malloy

\

This is a new one on me.
My first Glock a model 17 pre grip grooves and light rails was often cleaned in the blue commode water at work, and it never rusted.

My current Glock a model 19, is seldom pampered and it has not rusted either. I am guessing their was something wrong with the tennifer finish, or there was some salt water somewhere....
But anything can happen in the world of firearms...

malachi

Could it be a rust colored stain rather than actual rust. The tenifer under the park. finish shouldn't rust.

Chris Cullen

Well.... like I had said in a previous post, it has definately left like a 'pitting' in the steel where the spots used to be.
I would like to think that Glocks don't rust, but mine must be unique??

Chris Cullen

Attachments

• dob68i.jpg
    dob68i.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 141

Chris Cullen

That attached photo in my last post is not my Glock :p
That was the one I was saying that was left in the stream with all the chemicals for ages.

Let me know if you can't view it for some reason and I can send it by email or something.

Chris Cullen

stephen426

I suggest writing Glock and giving them an "opportunity" to show what great service they have by replacing your rusted Glock with a brand spanking new one. Tell them that you are a member of TFL and that you you be sure to share your experience with Glock.:D

Minator

in the words of the late chris farley, what did you do :eek:
the funny thing is that looks better then the glock21 that big bore did a torture test on AR15.com