Glock spring question

chris in va

My friend has a Glock 33 and is considering an aftermarket 9mm barrel swap. He's under the impression you can use the 357 spring with the 9mm barrel. I don't see how this is possible, but wanted to check with you guys.

Also any other parts needed, other than the G26 mags?

Sevens

I have no idea if this will work. However, I will submit some genuine experience that has been harshly vetted out on the range and if you can draw any conclusions from it, enjoy! :D

Facts:
--I have a 2008-production, MML-prefix Glock 29, 10mm pistol
--factory recoil spring weight is 17lbs
--with OEM spring, I ran around 600 rounds of 10mm through this pistol with zero failures
--I have run 2 different 10mm handloads, one running 1,050 FPS, the other running 1,200 FPS+, each with a 180gr FMJ

--I replaced this OEM spring with an aftermaket setup made by ISMI
--my ISMI guide rod is simply more durable in construction than the factory OEM
--my ISMI setup is also rated to the same 17lbs in spring weight

--with this setup, I've since run another 2,800 rounds of 10mm
--a little more than a year ago, I purchase a KKM aftermarket barrel chambered in .40 S&W.
--with this barrel, I have sent 1,605 flawless shots of .40 S&W down range
--.40 S&W loads have all been 180gr plated, running ~950fps

I suppose my point is that OEM spring weight for a Glock 29, 10mm is 17lbs. Though my spring is aftermarket, simply replacing my barrel and sending the same weight bullets downrange at 250 less FPS hasn't changed the way my pistol runs.

I've also toyed with a few hundred rounds of 180gr cast lead in .40 S&W but at a much-reduced powder charge weight. I haven't yet chrono'd that load, but I'm certain it's running -well- under the 950 FPS of my 180gr plated .40cal load. Like the others... it simply runs all the time.

Please don't assume I'm a "Glock guy" :p, I would never agree to that or admit any such thing. But this is my EDC, and it simply drips confidence. It is the only Glock I own and please believe when I claim passionately that it is the only Glock I care to own and hope to own. ;) When it comes home from the next range trip, it'll have digested over 5,000 rounds, 99% of which have been personally crafted handloads.

Your buddy: likely isn't crazy for at least trying to see if a simple barrel swap gets him running. But it may be worth mentioning...

I don't ever carry my G29 with the KKM .40 S&W barrel installed. I carry it with the OEM barrel & factory 10mm fodder. Not that I have any specific reason to do so, but when I carry for defense, I'm running it as Glock built it. (save for the upgraded ISMI spring/guide rod)

Jerry45

Your friend needs a 9 mm conversion barrel and 9 mm magazine(s). If, IF he has an ejection or FTF problem get a reduced weight (11. lb.) recoil spring and guide rod and he's good to go.

Last edited:

chris in va

Great, thanks.

Which barrel should he look at for reliable feeding of all types of ammo, including LRN reloads? He's not looking for a match barrel in this tiny gun.

totalloser

Just to be clear for others that read this thread:

Converting a G33 or G27 to 9mm CAN NOT be done with a factory barrel. You can swap Glock .357 sig and .40 back and forth with only a barrel change, but a factory 9mm barrel won't fit at all.

The bulk of the blowback force is not absorbed by the spring, but by the taper on the square locking interchange ("delayed blow back") between the barrel and slide. Since this angle does not change, it is not *ideal* though some have good luck. Changing the recoil spring will not solve this particular problem, but Glocks are pretty forgiving so some folks have good luck with the conversion.

Sevens

Ummm, no. The 10mm requires a longer magazine (longer front to back) and won't run out of a .40/.357 Sig gun. Also wouldn't be safe to beat up a gun not designed for 10mm. There is no outfit that I've ever heard of that builds or markets a conversion barrel that will make any .40 S&W chambered pistol safely run 10mm ammo.

GeauxTigers

I've run my glock 32 with a lone wolf 19 barrel and 19 mags for range purposes for years without any problems. Never had any real problems with feeding any type of ammo. Infact my only issue with lone wolf is that big ugly wolf emblazoned on the top of the chamber. Of course you can now order them without it but I didn't know that when I ordered mine a few years back.

Sevens

Heh, but those slick guys at Lone Wolf charge you like an extra Jackson to get your barrel without the idiotic cartoon Dog-on-crack emblazoned on it.

My KKM barrel looks decent and runs even better than it looks.

GeauxTigers

Yep, he'll of a business plan, lets make a logo so ugly that people will pay us extra to leave it off. It's like paying a hefty girl to keep her clothes on at a topless bar. I will say though that the quality of their barrels is pretty darn good for the money.

ClydeFrog

Glockers.....

I do not have any Glock models but if you were to switch or modify a Glock sub-compact, Id look at the LoneWolf Dist conversation Glock barrels.
You can add a stainless 9x19mm barrel & use 9x19mm Glock 26 magazines.
I'd suggest he looks at www.Glockstore.com www.glockbooks.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockmeister.com www.glockworx.com .

Lenny Magill has a 2013 era Youtube clip of how you can add Glock conversion series stainless 9x19mm pistol barrels. Magill's shop says you do not need any special springs, extractors, etc.
:confused:

Clyde