Glock Slide Cut Ideas

dakota.potts

Somebody has assigned to me the task of designing and modeling my own slide cuts for Glock handguns. This is simply a technical and educational exercise.

However, while I'm already going to be working on it, I wanted to ask of those here: For those of you who have bought custom cut slides or considered it, what are you looking for? What's important to you in a custom cut Glock slide? Are you using it for weight reduction, cutting down glare on the sights, easier slide manipulation, etc.

Any things you haven't seen and would like to?

Don't worry about what's a good or bad idea. I don't even own a Glock so it's not like I'm going to run out and cut a slide. Just designing them in CAD software.

For people who aren't interested or don't see the point in slide cuts: this thread probably isn't for you.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this exercise.

Spats McGee

Administrator
If I were going to do slide cuts on my Glock, I'd want cocking serrations right around mid-slide. I don't like forward cocking serrations, and I don't use the rear ones very much. The easiest place for me to grip the slide to chamber a round is right over the ejection port.

ETA: I have never had custom slide cuts done, but I have considered it.

DaleA

With all the folk that recommend Glocks and talk about Glocks and don't like Glocks I'm thinking there will be more comments coming.

I kind of like the small scallop slide cuts and I'd like them just where the existing slide cuts are.

dakota.potts

I'm not personally a fan of the way they feel and don't own one for that reason, but people continue to want modifications for them which I am happy to work towards providing.

Anybody who hasn't had cuts done but has ideas is more than welcome to contribute. I just did my best in the first post to weed out any comments of "buy a X brand handgun instead" or "Slide cuts are tacticool and dumb" that I've seen in other threads on the topic.

Your ideas are being looked at and considered.

Walt Sherrill

A comment about slide cuts...

I think Glock uses the same recoil spring assembly with most of the guns of a given frame size, across calibers. They use different weight slides, in addition to the recoil spring assembly, to regulate slide velocity.

It may not be an issue, but one might want to consider the effect of taking too much steel off of a slide, and its effect on performance and long-term durability.

That said, I know a lot of Glocks [and other guns] are running with virtually aerated slides, so it may be more a theoretical concern than a practical one.

dakota.potts

Walt, while you bring up a good point (and one that is discussed often) that's outside the the realm of my experiment for now. I've already been warned against massive needless barrel "windows" or other large pieces of metal removed.

The exercise here is more concerned with thoughtfulness of design, utility and aesthetics than having an engineered product ready for machining or testing. Thank you for your input.

CLC

Instead of slide cuts what about a stipple effect? Id do the entire slide that way.

Brando1992

My glock 19 slide is being milled with the complete package at Dynamic weapon solutions. I am having the whole package done because of the deal i got on the work during a black friday sale. I have another slide i would like to have milled but this time all I will do is front slide serrations and stamp removal from the sides. I may also consider an optic cut on it as well. The milling process other than an optic cut and front serrations are strictly aesthetic for me. could there be other benefits? possibly but to me all im worried about is easier press check and mounting an RMR. Oh its also a good excuse for a new color finish on the slide :)

Walt Sherrill

dakota.potts said:
Walt, while you bring up a good point (and one that is discussed often) that's outside the the realm of my experiment for now.

I commented because I have NOT seen it discussed at all, let alone often.

But, that may be because I avoid the Glock forums (and SIG forums) --too many fanboys there who don't tolerate criticism of the guns in question. I avoid those forum, but have both Glocks and SIGs now, and have had multiple copies of both over the years.

mete

That's a very hard case hardened layer so carbide cutter or grinder will have to be used . If the case is removed a bigger problem is 'what then ?' Replacing that is a bigger problem .

5whiskey

Hmm... Some sort of texture on the top of the slide between the ejection port and rear sight blade to aid in press checks for brass. It can be aesthetic (probably needs to be, it would look dumb if it were just straight serrations), but it would turn me off if it were gaudy.

I like Spats' idea of serrations around the ejection port as well. Maybe combine the two? I have no idea on a design that would look good, and "looking good" is subjective. Some may like the full on tacticool deep-cut dragon scale, but that's not my thing. I do like imbedded images though. Maybe serration where you can embed the Glock logo, caliber, or model #?

FWIW I understood that this is an exercise that you may or may not be graded on, that you are not going to actually cut a slide, and that you are just asking around for ideas. No need to preach to you if folks would just read your first post and understand what you're trying to accomplish.

RoughDivider

I think more scalloped serrations would be fun, like S&W tends to use. Also round those edges off and take some material off the sides, make it curvier so to speak. That's what I don't like about Glocks, looks like someone just threw a brick on there.

dakota.potts

That's what I don't like about Glocks, looks like someone just threw a brick on there.

Fun fact, a very good facsimile of a Glock can be achieved by modeling a 1"X1"X6" piece of bar stock, rounding off all of the edges with a .125" fillet, and eyeballing an ejection port/extractor plunger slot about half way back. That is what I have been using for my base model. A lot less nuanced in that regard than other

So far I've experimented with diamond checkering patterns, series of fine V serrations on the front of the slide, and a "checkerboard" pattern at the front and rear for more grip.

I might jump on the CNC machine at school this week and knock out a couple different patterns on a piece of milled bar stock to see how they look and feel when actually cut.

I have been around when somebody completely burned up a HSS endmill trying to cut a Glock 26 slide... super hard finishes.