Glock sight picture

dyl

I went shooting with my friend's Glock 23. Sight picture was a 6 o'clock hold. We had to hold pretty low: ~4 inches at 10 yards which to me felt pretty extreme. It was strange not knowing where on the paper to aim.

Is this true of all Glocks?

Pistol was bought used, (but LNIB) Glock 23 with Wolf conversion to 9mm. Same sight picture applied when shooting .40 caliber.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
That is pretty extreme.... my G33 is the opposite. At least for me. It shoots where the front sight blocks the target at 10 yards. So, based on the "6 o'clock" hold, it's maybe 2 inches low.

lee n. field

I went shooting with my friend's Glock 23. Sight picture was a 6 o'clock hold. We had to hold pretty low: ~4 inches at 10 yards which to me felt pretty extreme. It was strange not knowing where on the paper to aim.

Is this true of all Glocks?

I don't know.

Different heights of rear sight are available.

GLOCK rear sights are available in four heights. The standard rear sight height for GLOCK pistols in 9x19, .40, .45 G.A.P., .357 and .380 calibers is 6.5mm (0.256in.); .45 and 10mm AUTO calibers 6.9mm (0.27in.). Rear sights are also available in heights of 6.1mm (0.24in.), 6.9mm (0.27in.) and 7.3mm (0.29in.). Every change of the rear sight height will result in a shift of the predicted position of approximately 50mm (1.97in.) over 25m (27yds.) firing distance.

Front Opposite Rear Same. To raise point of impact, you need a higher rear sight. To lower it, a lower rear sight blade is needed.

dyl

kind of a relief

It's kind of a relief to see that an extreme 6 o'clock hold is not quite the norm for Glocks. It was going to affect a decision to purchase one in the future. I thought that that the 6 o'clock hold was more of a bulls eye / target shooting practice and expected the Glock to be a "combat hold" where you bisect the target with the 3 dots.

Good news to me. Maybe someone switched out the sights.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I have shot Glocks, Berettas, Walthers, Rugers, CZs, Springfields, Kahrs, S&Ws, Colts, Mausers, Kel-Tecs, Brownings and I'm sure many others that I can't remember.

Although I know there are those who swear that different manufacturers sight in their pistols using different sight pictures I have invariably encountered one of 2 situations when shooting fixed sighted centerfire pistols.

The first situation is that with standard pressure ammunition and reasonable bullet weights for caliber they shoot reasonably close to point of aim with a "combat" sight picture. That is, the bullet impacts on the target reasonably close to where the center of the top of the front sight is superimposed on the target. By "reasonably close" I mean that they're not off by more than 3 or 4 inches at 25 yards. This is by far the most common outcome.

Second situation is that they don't appear to be sighted in at all. This has only happened a couple of times. The one time that sticks in my mind the gun shot about a foot low and 6 inches to one side at about 15 yards. I had to drift the rear sight considerably and replace the front sight. I believe that these few occurrences were abberations as I have previously and subsequently shot other offerings from the makers in question with good results.

bamaranger

Glock 20 10mm sight swap

Quite a few years back, intrigued w/ the 10mm ctg., I bought an early G20 and a quantity of assorted factory ammo and had at it. I discovered that the pistol did not shoot to point of aim. I cannot recall for certain, but I seem to remember it shot low, and I had to hold high, like a 12'ocock hold to center the 10" metal plate I have in the back yard. Windage was fine.

I called GLOCK, they confirmed the pistol had the correct sights, but sent me another rear, which did the trick.

The rep I talked to was very personable and we talked at length. He mentioned at the time that GLOCK shot a good bit of the 200 gr CCI Blazer ammo in test firing the G20's. I had some of that, as well as others, it all shot low.

BTW, still have the G20, now reloading for it, and all my handloads shoot to to point of aim w/ the same (second) rear sight that GLOCK sent way back when, 15 + years ago.