Glock Refinish Options?

Kreyzhorse

I've got a Glock 22 that the finish on the slide has seen better days. It was an LEO gun and it's got a lot of holster wear. It's great gun and a limited CCW piece.

Any one have any experience with a duracoat finish or any other type of refinishing options?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

Beretta686

I had dura-coat put on my XD about a year & a half ago and haven't been all that impressed as there is a part where its coming off of (although the guy who applied it may not of done everything right).

I'd stick with the factory stuff if I was you.

Alleykat

If you send it back to Glock, be sure and send the slide only. I'd send it USPS Priority Mail, insured. Glock sends the slides out to a third-party for refinishing. Sometimes they look great; sometimes not.

Kreyzhorse

Alleykat If you send it back to Glock, be sure and send the slide only. I'd send it USPS Priority Mail, insured. Glock sends the slides out to a third-party for refinishing. Sometimes they look great; sometimes not.

Any idea on cost?

mes228

Glock

The Tennifer finish on Glocks is hands down the best, most durable, finish available (or that I've owned). It's never looks good but it never looks bad and holds up incredibly good. Even when it is worn away, I've read it's still there doing it's job. I use my Glock's a lot and have for about 8-9 years and they look virtually unused. each has thousands of rounds and resides in a holster all the time. They are not drawn or presented a lot, however they have been used heavily. Tennifer is great stuff just not pretty. I'd send it back to Glock also.

oldcspsarge

Tennifer is the metal surface hardning treatment on a Glock..it doesnt wear away...the Black Oxide treatment on top of that is what wears away.

The black can be removed, the tenifer remains and the new finish may be applied.

Glock just re-black oxides the slide here in the US for appearances.

Mac's!

Whenever we refinish Glock slides, we only lightly abrasive blast the surface to remove the old finish, gunk, gloss, etc. and then build the new finish up on that. The Tennifer surface treatment can be damaged by over-zealous abrasive blasting. I prefer to leave it intact under the new finish.
Note: Some will say that Tennifer can not be damaged by abrasive blasting because it's too hard. I wont argue except to say that I wont take the chance.
Another note: Some finishes are better than others and some are not as good as others. Regardless of the surface finish applied, 75% of the job is in the sruface preparation. Without proper surface prep, the best finish in the world will fall off. (But I wont use duracoat!) Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

Scorch

DuraCoat is just a catalyzed polyester paint. While it works well for exterior parts, it is not intended for moving parts.

If you are going to refinish the slide with a bake-on finish, GunKote would be a better choice. If the surface is properly prepared before coating, you would have to sandblast the finish to get it off of the gun. Nytex is a good option, as are any of the baked-on Teflon finishes.

Or just send it back to Glock for a factory finish.