Glock Purchase, Help me out here.

slammedsi

Well i was looking at, cleaning all my pistols. and it dawned on my i dont have a glock. I think its time i buy one. i really dont like them much but i cant call my pistol collection a collection with out one.

So help me out here. i dont know which one to get or where to start looking.. i know i want a full size. caliber dosent matter to me. only one ive looked at and handled is the glock 20 in 10mm. Anyother options out there?

rdwoody1

I personally like the Glock 22. I've handled and shot four different ones, I believe, and they have all been awesome. Plus, a .40 is just a fun caliber to shoot with for some reason.

Deputy Dog

I would go with the Glock 17 in 9mm, Large frame, easy to shoot, very accurate and will probably be taken to the range often. Same applies to the 21 in .45 ACP, same thing as the 20 but in .45 ACP instead.

DD

cwok

Buy Glock

As a happy Glock owner: Glock 20c 10MM (compensated)
and
Glock 21SF (Short Frame) in .45acp.

I'd recommend the Short Frame of the .45acp if you don't plan to reload
or
The Short Frame 10MM if you do plan to reload.

Its true, you can buy other calibers, -- but really,
the 10MM is the only reason not buy a .45
-- unless you are required to carry a 9MM or .40 as a departmental item,
or unless you have a yen for the .357Sig cartridge.

slammedsi

the more i look at the 20C the more i like it. I already reload 10mm. and as a gun im not going to be shooting much anyways. Do yall think the C models are going to be worth more in the future being less common?

GoingQuiet

Depending on the week - I sell 2 or 3 19's for every other Glock I sell.

PS. I have the gen 4's in stock if you are interested.

cwok

Glock 20C 10MM

If I did it again, I'd have gone with the 10MM Short Frame for two reasons:

1 - Short Frame makes it a little easier for me to get a solid grip -- thats a very individual-specific issue.

2 - I'd be thinking very hard about adding a 6-inch barrel (an after market model with non-polygonal rifling. They are available with/without the 'compensating slots'.

I have no idea whether or not the C models will climb in price much.
I went with the C model because I was a little concerned with recoil in a fairly light weapon with a 4.6 inch barrel.

Buying the after-market barrel would give me:
higher velocity for all loads vice the standard 4.6 inch,
the option of reloading lead bullets,
probably an ounce or two more weight,
and I would still have the the option for a slotted barrel.

IanS

For purposes of adding a Glock to round out your "collection" it should be the classic and original Glock 17. The model that established and continues to be the standard by which all the other Glocks are measured by for reliablity and durability. The G19 is a very very close second though in terms of being the "classic" Glock pistol. So either should serve your purposes. Just choose the one that seems to appeal to you more. Getting anything else would be like getting a 1911 to round out your "collection" but getting it in .38 Super or 10mm or an Officers Model. Nothing wrong with that per se but for a "collection" the 1911 should be in .45 ACP in "Gov't Model" configuration. For a Glock. It should be 9mm either full G17 or compact G19. I think its best to get the one that best represents the breed.

But it should be a 3rd Generation or previous generation G17 or G19. The new 4th Gen is the most radical change since the model's introduction, not due to its interchangeable backstraps or anything like that, but due to internal changes which is as yet "unproven" compared to the older system.

Last edited:

slammedsi

IanS, I love your reply and feel that would be best for my purpose. Altho i feel i am starting to really like the G20C the more i read about it.

Dino.

For purposes of adding a Glock to round out your "collection" it should be the classic and original Glock 17. The model that established and continues to be the standard by which all the other Glocks are measured by for reliablity and durability. The G19 is a very very close second though in terms of being the "classic" Glock pistol. So either should serve your purposes. Just choose the one that seems to appeal to you more. Getting anything else would be like getting a 1911 to round out your "collection" but getting it in .38 Super or 10mm or an Officers Model. Nothing wrong with that per se but for a "collection" the 1911 should be in .45 ACP in "Gov't Model" configuration. For a Glock. It should be 9mm either full G17 or compact G19. I think its best to get the one that best represents the breed.

But it should be a 3rd Generation or previous generation G17 or G19. The new 4th Gen is the most radical change since the model's introduction, not due to its interchangeable backstraps or anything like that, but due to internal changes which is as yet "unproven" compared to the older system.

+1
Excellent response. ;)

psyshack

I'm going to get a 20. I want a FS 10mm with the option to go .40 or .45 and can also put a longer barrel in it for any of those calibers. The first barrel will be a 6" 10mm for white tail hunting. And some hog action. :D

SamW

I'm pretty happy with the Glock 35.

The only draw back is that if you're accustomed to drawing a smaller concealed carry gun, it might take a little use to getting it out of the holster.

Taroman

the G17 "made" Glock, so it would be the choice for a "representative" one. You could do a lot worse in a gunfight, too.

hagar

Buy the G20SF. There are many 40 caliber pistols out, even more in 9mm and 45, but only Glock makes a high capacity 10mm that actually works. In that regard there is no pistol in 10mm that can even compare to a Glock 20.