Glock Price check assessments please

dyl

What do you think about:

Gen 2 Glock 17 seller is asking $450. Claims to have less than 1 mag fired through it. Comes with 2 mags and box, stock configuration.

Gen 3 Glock 22 different seller is asking $450. Says it's "bone stock", 2 mags, "low round count".

Neither have pictures, supposedly undamaged. I'd have to drive 45 min for either for a FTF transaction. Would you bite if you were interested in Glocks and didn't have one yet?

Gaerek

Your hesitance is the exact reason I don't buy used guns from people. Heard of too many horror stories. Considering you should be able to find brand new Gen 3 Glocks for $500, this seems high to me. I'd rather place an order with my LGS, and get something brand new for $50 more...but that's just me.

On the other hand...Glocks are super reliable, and there's very little chance there's something wrong. If I had to drive 45 minutes, I'd ask for pictures, or no sale. Doesn't seem unreasonable today, with smart phones with cameras and the ability to upload pictures from a digital camera in seconds.

BarryLee

I’d shop around a little bit I know the recent craziness has really jacked up prices, but I bought a new Gen4 G26 for $549 and have seen new Gen3 models for like $495.

Noreaster

It's always tough when buying used and not being able to look at it first. One thing about the Gen 2 is the age alone will probably warrant spring replacement throughout the gun and mag, not a huge cost but a pain if you can't do it yourself. The newer 40 cal Glocks have more chamber support and I'd go with a new one if you can afford it. With gas and ffl transfer fee you might be able to afford a new gun.

WVsig

Used Glocks should be $400 guns considering that they are $450 to $500 guns new.

Do not over pay in today's inflated market.

jamrock

I would want to see the pics of the guns first to make sure your getting your money's worth. Even though pics won't really tell very much until you run the gun glocks are pretty hard to screw up IMO. Most owners won't put enough rounds down them. If you don't see a lot of wear on the slide or excessive gun powder residue staining on the muzzle it was probably just someone's once or twice a year plinker and not used heavy in duty training or competition. If your a season gunner you can probably do any replacements on worn parts yourself with the help of some youtube vids or just send it to glock their customer service is pretty good.

That being said $450 for a gen 2 seems high to me unless your a collector and just looking to add to a collection. I know guys who pay insane prices for gen 1 glock 17 and the glocks with the rtf gills.

dyl

Thanks for the responses. I guess the appeal is that I wouldn't have to wait for shipping. Basically my impatience speaking. And no FFL fee. I do wish gen 4 were in the $500 -ish range around here. I had sent a proposal for $430 but it didn't seem spark enough interest to warrant a response. Looks like I should probably wait.

Good point about the spring change by the way.

dyl

How much would YOU pay?

I found one more specimen but want to try this:

How much would you pay then, (off the top of your head) for a:

Gen 4 Glock 23 + night sights, excellent condition, 300 round count?

k511

I would shop around more....around here private party listings seem to be more expensive than the dealers...my LGS has several new gen3 for 450-500 and new gen4 for 525-575...deals can still be found though....I just got a new gen4 , 17 and 19 private party for 900

CDW4ME

I'd rather buy a like new Gen 2 Glock than a later Gen 3 or a new one even if all were the same price. Gen 2 wouldn't have a MIM extractor.

iblong

I would not buy without a visuall,And I would pay 400 for a like new GenII.
But I do Like the gen II grips better than the GenIII.

g.willikers

Why are MIM parts in a Glock such a source of contention?
It's not as if they are/were an all steel item to begin with.
The parts are not all that expensive or difficult to replace if need be.
Do they actually fail all that much anyway?

745SW

“Gen 2 Glock 17 seller is asking $450. Claims to have less than 1 mag fired through it. Comes with 2 mags and box, stock configuration.”

I’d offer $425.:D

The 17 is the most proven of all the Glock’s and appears to have had the least amount of issues since hitting the US. I believe the Gen2 17 was built prior to the year 2000, most likely a very well built gun.

I’m using the year 2000 as a rough estimate because much has changed since about that point in time. The global economy, IMO, has caused many to downsize, capture more market share with more variety of products and/or streamline processes. Sig changed ownership/management somewhere around 2006, the Freedom Group that consisted of Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS was bought, and Glock changed from being made in Austria to made in the US, the Tennifer process of the past is no more.

Since some points after the year 2000 I hear of folks having to cycle their newly bought Remington 870 many times in the hopes of smoothing the rough action. Sig’s with frame galling and internal slide finish issues and Glock’s rear frame rail breakages, ejection to the face and walking locking block pin.

Sometimes a deal can be had simply because the other party just has a thing for something different. At the show in Arizona I met an individual that just traded his Springfield XD plus a couple hundred dollars for a blue 4” Colt Python.

The only thing about buying anything on the secondary market is you need to know your stuff. I’ve had plenty of not so good experiences, not firearms, when buying used. It’s a good deal of effort/work compared to the primary market. Yet it can be rewarding.

kostyanj

I bought my gen 3 17C a few years ago and I absolutely love the gun. I paid more than that for mine since I really wanted to have a compensated version. I don't regret it all. It does a great job of keeping the muzzle rise in check and it's a fun and loud gun to shoot.

CDW4ME

If MIM parts were the best, people would request their Wilson to be built with MIM parts instead of "bullet proof" forged, or tool steel. ;)
Ya think Wilson Combat gets many requests like that? :rolleyes:

Silver00LT

They had my Glock listed at $500 used. They originally offered me $325 total trade for BOTH my P95 and PF9. I didn't give two rats about the PF9, but I made them do a dead even trade since I was letting go of my P95.

Both trade in value for P95 and PF9 are 150-200. So I guess you could say I gave $300-$400 for my Glock 26 Gen4.

BUT...I would not even consider the drive until you saw pictures of the ACTUAL weapon.

It's not as if they are/were an all steel item to begin with.
The parts are not all that expensive or difficult to replace if need be.
Do they actually fail all that much anyway?

I love my Glock, but I am looking at replacement parts of the heavy wear and tear items. My extractor failed to eject one time today out of 170 rounds. Good yes...but I added that to my purchase list of keep on side parts just in case.

LockedBreech

While I think MIM is overblown (after all, Rugers are full of them and I have never had a problem with any Ruger), it does seem to sometimes be an indication of a company's quality slipping, even if just a bit. I've spent the last 5 years reading about Glocks bobbling rounds, something heretofore unseen, and meanwhile my unsung Beretta PX4 has done almost 6 years and over 5k rounds without ever bobbling a round in any way. I'm not sure about if/how much Beretta uses MIM components, though, so that might be a bunch of nonsense. :)

I really, really love how the Gen 4 pistols feel in my hand, so I'll probably roll the dice and get one, MIM concerns aside. I always felt like the Glock felt soap-bar slippery before Gen 4, notwithstanding the RTF models.

OP, I'll echo others here and say wait out this panic. Prices are stupid right now.

Nathan

You guys sure find good deals on Glocks. I paid ~$450 to my door for a G21 last fall. It was a good deal to me since local used would have been $475+ OTD.

Now we are post craze and this guy says he can get one for $450, and we tell him no way.

Frankly, I would drive 45 min, look at the G22, pull out $400 in $20's and say, "I'll take it for $400." If the guy balks, I tell him they are $500 new and the $400 used price is available everyday. If he flat rufuses, I would go $420, and say I'll give up lunch too. Then just start walking. ....if you really want it, just pay the $400....how much is $50 in the scheme of things?