Glock Manual Safety

Onslaught

Hey, I just stole this directly from GlockTalk, but I thought you guys (& gals) might enjoy arguing over the need for/against manual safeties on combat tupperware :D

http://www.cominolli.com/glocksafety.htm

Disclaimer: :) I am NOT a Glock Basher, NOR am I a Glock owner. I think Glocks are FINE handguns, I just haven't found the budget/need in my arsenal for one........... yet. :)

Onslaught

Frankly, I wouldn't want one, but I just couldn't pass up this much meat for the dogfight that will probably ensue... :) That, and I'm sharing options with my fellow TFL'ers who may feel they could own a Glock if it had a safety (nah, it's the arguement)

RON in PA

This is for people that carry an umbrella in the desert.

You don't need a safety on a Glock if you are properly trained and understand the system. Having a safety negates the "always ready" nature of the Glock.

buzz_knox

While we're at it, why don't we add a manual safety to the P7 and all revolvers, a grip safety to the Hi Power, and a key lock safety to the 1911 (in case someone forgets to reactivate the manual safety)? After all, people who have guns are too stupid to keep their finger off the trigger, right?

KSFreeman

buzz, only the mall ninja. Actually this may be a good idea for all LE guns. If we could pour concrete down the barrel it would be the "safest" gun in the world. A policacrat's dream.

dsk

There are specific tactical reasons for having a manual safety on a gun. Whether you need one or not depends solely on what is more important to you. Glock has maintained for years that their design doesn't need a manual safety. Perhaps, but they have lost out on a lot of police contracts where the departments felt otherwise.

The only time I ever get riled up is when someone tells me their Glock "Safe Action" is much safer than my 1911's cocked n' locked. Oh, p-u-u-ulease! People only freak out because they can see the poised hammer. I still have three safeties backing me up in addition to the one in my head, same as with the Glock.

viper

I agree totally with dsk.

I carry a Glock 19 every day, and also own a Custom Novak Hi-Power(built by Kurt Wickmann) and used to own a custom 1911 Commander carry gun built on an SVI platform. My first handgun was an HK P7M13. I much prefer having a sweep-down frame-mounted safety, or squeeze-cock safety on my gun. Those two specific types of manual safeties are both extremely fast and natural to disengage, and become totally subconcious with a little practice.

I, as well as many armed professionals who are far more capable and accomplished with a pistol than myself, have expressed the desire for a 1911 sweep down safety on our Glocks. This would do two things. First, it would make holstering and quick-drawing the gun much more safe for the operator. Also, it would act as a buffer in case your gun gets grabbed or taken from you in a struggle. It's been shown that it takes most people who are unfamiliar with the 1911's safety at least 30 seconds to figure out how to make the gun ready to fire. As it stands now, if your Glock gets grabbed, you're probably toast. If I ever get into a hand-to-hand fight while I ever have my gun on me, I'd rather have that extra element of safety, just in case my gun falls out or gets taken from me. And by the way, the HK P7 DOES have a manual safety. That's what the squeeze-cocker is. This is why most people survive getting their P7 taken from them in struggles. The dumb perps can't figure the system out quickly enough to use it against the owner.

I love my Glock 19, and carry it daily. Do I view it as a "safe gun"? Let me put it this way. I never worry about it going off by itself. I do however worry about it being used against me if I ever screw up in a fight, because it has no proprietary aspects whatsoever. In other words, it's a great gun, there's just no room for error with it. None at all.

If Glock were ever to make a Glock 19 with a 1911 style manual safety, I would RUN, not walk, to a dealer to snatch one up as soon as humanly possible.

Wild Romanian

In Austrailia they demaned a Glock with a manuel 1911 type safety and they got it from Glock. I do not remember if this was an import law or just a demand from law inforcement in that country but I have seen pictures of this Glock.
Lets look at grim reality and I hate to keep bringing this morbid story up but many people have been shot and injured and killed by Glock handguns because of a lack of manual safety. The most tragic was the little girl in Chicago who when her policeman father came home from work he started to remove his gear and when he took off his pistol she snatched it up and was immediately killed.
Pistols and revolvers with hard double action pullsmay not need a mauel safety but the Glock certainly does. People would have a heart attack if someone maketed a single action exposed hammer pistol with no manuel safety but that is exactly what the Glock is but the danger is concealed from view because it is stricker fired and what people cannot see does not alarm them.
Lets face it no matter how professional a person is they are still human and subject to making errors especially when they are tired or under stress or exhaustion. Slip up for one second with a glock and due to its single action trigger pull and no manuel safety and you have a one way ticket to dissaster. W.R.

Kevin in IN

;)There is a "Glock" that has a manual safety...It's called a Steyr M (or S). It was designed by one of the Glock designers. Tennifer slide over polymer, striker fired, and it even has an improved trigger safety similar to Glocks. Plus it has a nifty manual safety that is disengaged with your trigger finger. If you really want a Glock with a real safety, I'd look at the Steyr. Kevin

Hard Ball

Glock has produced pistols with manual safties for many years. THey simply haaave never marketed them in the United States.