Glock Manual Safety

Foxy

I did a search, and mainly came back with people bashing the idea of having a manual safety on a Glock.

Now, knowing that so many people here seem to despise the idea, how is the workmanship on them?

I have a friend interested in a manual safety for his Glock, namely, this one:
http://www.cominolli.com/glocksafety.htm

Anyone installed one? How quality are they built?

W Turner

From what I have heard, the quality is OK, but nothing to get excited over. By this I mean that they are functional, but the fit and finish are average.
You really can't expect too much when you put a safety on a weapon that ws never designed/intended to have a safety of that type.
My recommendation if you're friend is uncomfortable with the thought of carrying a glock in condition one is to get a Saf-T-Blok. It serves the same purpose and doesn't require permanent modification of the gun.

Mongoloid

Foxy

To be honest, that Saf-T-Block doesn't look like it'd fit the bill.

Fit and finish is ok, and the craftsman ship is good? I wouldn't want to recommend something to a friend where I'd be afraid of the lever snapping off or something.

I was thinking that if LFI and Gunsite would do the installation, it can't be all THAT bad..

blades67

It will also void the Glock warranty because the frame gets cut. If your "friend" needs an external safety, he should get a different gun.

FScott

If they're really interested in a polymer frame striker fire semi auto, then I'd certainly take a look at the Steyr M9. Most of the features of a Glock G19 plus a manual safety and IMHO better ergonomics.

Foxy

Ok - he already has a Glock that he loves and doesn't want to get rid of, along with all the mags and other accessories. He wants a manual safety. He doesn't want to get rid of his Glock, or get a new gun. He just wants to know the physical quality and workmanship of the manual safety listed below. Are there better choices?

And yes, it is my friend, and not myself - I just have a TZ99, and I don't care about a manual safety or not as I do not carry it.

MADISON

The main reason I bought my 21 in 1990 was that it had 3 built in safeties and THE USER IS THE OTHER SAFETY. Keep your fingers out of the trigger until you acquire a target.

Foxy

Yes, I realize that you keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off teh trigger until you're ready to shoot [my TZ99 does not have a manual safety either]. My friend is well aware as well.

However, after we have read the pros and cons of manual safeties, he has come to the conclusion that he would like one. Seeing as how he has a Glock 19 and wants to keep it, what are his options? I am REALLY not interested in hearing about how manual safeties on a Glock is superflourus and possibly the harbinger of armaggedon and the antichrist. I just want to know so I can pass on this information on HOW WELL MADE this manual safety is.

Sorry if I am sounding frustrated, but out of all of the replies, one has been somewhat useful and the rest have been telling me things that I really don't care about. It's one thing to be told that something is unsafe, illegal, etc, but quite another when people are telling you their opinion on matters that don't pertain to the situation.

Please - I don't need to hear about the woes of a manual safety on a Glock - I have read all of the other threads and the ranting of the Glock Mafioso. For those people who would like a manual safety on their Glock, is that choice a good one?

adk

Extra light triggers

I've had Glock 19s for years with the factory trigger or NY1. I'd like to get lighter triggers, like 3.5 lbs. I'll do this if someone comes up with a safety as reliable as the ones on my 1911s. Then I'll have a 16-shot, light-triggered, lightweight, rugged compact gun that I can handle a lot more ways than I can now handle (or fumble) the stock Glock. I'm keeping track of the Cominolli safety to see if it's any good. adk

GLOCKT

MA compliant GLOCKS

Doesn't the state of Massachutes require Glocks to have external safeties?Anything that would void the warranty of a GLOCK isn't for me.If your friend wants a external safety maybe he should look into getting his FFL to find a MA compliant GLOCK and ship it to his local FFL.SAFE-SHOOTING!

T0ki

External Safety

Tell your friend to check out the H&K USP Compact. Available in .45, .40, 9mm and the sexy .357sig. I have a .40 and it is a most excellent carry piece.

A short 1911 like the Kimber Ultra Carry or Ultra CDP would fit the bill with a thumb and grip safety.

I need to have an external safety, personally. That's why I love them Germans.

croyance

Foxy, sorry, but I have no information.

How is a loaded Glock in Condition 1? It is loaded, cocked, but not locked. Really it is very akin to a HiPower that is loaded with the safetey off. The only 1911 comparison is loaded, cocked, grip safety depressed, safety off. I realize that both the HiPower and 1911 can be carried that way, but I certainly don't choose to. I do not deny the reliability of the Glock, and the fact that the user is the ultimate safety, but that is how I see the Glock safety system.

defox

Foxy,

I see that other things are being addressed but your question!

From what I have heard and seen of the after-market safety it works and locks up positively. It also allows you to load and unload the Glock with the safety on. It has not been around long enough for me to comment on its durability.

My 2 problems with it is that you have to cut the frame and it affects the sleekness of the Glock.

Interestingly I think their is a country that has Glocks built with an external safety. I am not 100% sure but I think its Australia.

Hope this helps!! and Glock On..

Arcadian62

Some newbie poster advice:

I don't have any personal experience, but have you tried asking or doing a search over at glocktalk.com? I did a search there a few weeks ago using "cominolli safety" and got at least a dozen thread hits. But I warn you, although I did not read them all, some of the threads are pretty hostile:(

Keep in mind as blades67 mentioned, I'd think it would VOID the Glock warranty. See pg. 27 in Glock Instructions for Use (Owner's)
Manual (2/96 edition)

The only other options I can think of w/o voiding the warranty or getting a new gun is carrying in condition 3(empty chamber w/charged magazine & it's recommended by Glock for civilian carry-see pg. 13 ) or getting a NY-1(~8lb) or 2(~11lb) trigger installed.

Also, it being a fairly new product, I'd wait for them to work out any bugs with the product and/or installation quality issues.

Last edited:

adk

Cominolli Glock Safety

Gunsite is on Cominolli's list of authorized installers. If an organization with that kind of prestige starts installing them, maybe it says something.
I contacted Gunsite a couple weeks ago and they had just received the Cominolli parts. They were not ready to do any work, or to even to comment. They said they had to evaluate it first.
Such an evaluation might say a lot about the tactical value of the safety, as well as safety on the range - since Gunsite has a big responsibility in both areas.

jdrobins

The one thing that I have always had against Glocks was that there was no External safety, I was looking for a subcompact and decided that I would get the G33, Thanks to your post I can now look into this safety device. I will post any info I recieve on this.

Jim