Glock/Lonewolf Compensator Questions

Darker Loaf

I own a Springfield XD 4" Service 9mm. It's the V-10 model with two twin cuts in the slide for a pair of 5 ports. I love the gun. The trigger has had some work done and it's amazing. The only down side to it is that it has factory sights, and I'd like a thinner pair of sights for more precision shooting (I'm thinking a brass bead, not sure what rear sights I want). I have it set up with a fitted match barrel which is threaded for a suppressor (which hopefully is still on it's way).

I want to build a similar gun out of a Timberwolf frame with a 6" slide, also in 9mm. I was considering doing it with internal porting as well, and like my XD, have another threaded barrel for use with my suppressor. It's easy to do since Lone Wolf has internally ported barrels to match the slide. However, I was thinking that perhaps for simplicity's sake, I could consider using a compensator instead of internal porting. Are there any good compensators out there for Glocks? I only really know of the Lone Wolf ones, or other more hinky compensators. I have plenty experience with ported barrels, both internally and externally with regards to the slide. Heck, I'm wacky enough that I carry a Kahr K9 with an externally ported barrel [I clearly have a sickness], but I have no experience with the screw-on type compensator.

My concerns are that:

1) Compensators could come unscrewed. I have seen it on thread-protectors (they work off super quickly, it seems). Then I have to worry about injury, damaging the compensator, having it fly off the gun while firing, and generally losing it.
2) Do you need to fit a compensator to a barrel/gun? I am also worried that getting a compensator will mean fitting the barrel and that would change the dimensions for suppressor use.
3) The Lone Wolf compensator is sort of ugly to me. Normally looks don't matter to me as much as performance, but it sort of bugs me since it's an unknown quantity to me. If it doesn't require much fitting, then maybe it's the way to go. But preferably, there's a quality more "blocky" looking compensator out there.

Anybody know any options?

Last edited:

Darker Loaf

Gaaaaaak! It looks like my fears are true? I read on the Jager Product's Inc. website that their Jager Comp's are supposed to be red-loctited on!!! :eek: That means that they pretty much are certain to back their way off the gun. Red Loctite sounds like a terrible solution to holding something on the gun that requires removal for disassembly and cleaning. Bleeeeetch.

Are there ways around this or are Glock compensators not able to be affixed mechanically to the gun? I'm not really clear on how this would work, but it seems like a goodish idea? :confused:

It's looking like that my original plan of a dedicated internally ported barrel and a threaded barrel is the way to go. That's too bad. I was interested in having 1 barrel and using a comp as a fancy thread protector.

I do that with my .22's (use an AL Tac Sol comp and a thread protector), but they don't seem to shake and rattle enough to loosen them enough to worry. But I'm not excited by the idea of having a 9mm comp get shot off my gun.

40CalGuy

there are no Glock comps that don't use a set screw. if you want glock compensated the easiest way is internally ported on a G34/35/17L/24 setup