Glock is "poinking."

Lavan

For want of a better term. This is a new M34. I really like the weight and extra barrel length.
I am noticing though a tendency for the sight to "poink" off to the right when the striker falls. Don't know if it is before or after the strike, but some other Glocks don't seem to do it. I just got a chance to sight in and shoot it a bit today.

shootin93007km7.jpg

Good enuff for me.

The larger group was after I was fairly tired and my shoulder was getting sore. (age) It was fairly rapid fire also. 3 mags with two of em in about 25-30 seconds or so. Then a reload and shot again. Fairly fast.

Just wondering if some tweak can eliminate that little jump to the right at the end of pull. It is manageable two handed, but one hand is quite noticeable.

:confused:

Powderman

Too much finger on the trigger, and you're "heeling", meaning that you're pushing inward on the bottom of the stock at the moment of firing. It is also called a flinch.

As another poster said, invest in about 12 or so snap caps. Head to the range with a friend, and have them load magazines with live ammo and snap caps intermixed. They will insert the magazine, all you do is rack the slide. Don't look into the ejection port, either!!!:D

You'll notice what you're doing when you hit that dummy round. Watch your front sight.

Remember--sight picture and alignment, and trigger squeeze--even pressure straight to the rear until that striker drops. With a good shot, you should see a hint of muzzle flash right before the pistol recoils.

Lavan

It only happens with THIS pistol. SOME other Glocks will do it, but not all. If I didn't have centered groups, I would suspect flinch, but don't think that is it. I've heard that dry firing can work it out.
??????

I also notice that it is happening only with one hand hold. And during dry fire.
I've tried dry firing with tip of finger as well as wrap around. Tip seems to be worse and wrap around seems to hold the pistol against the movement sort of like the second hand.

Like I say, this is MOST noticeable during dry fire.

All the live fire I have done is two handed. It IS a movement of the gun during dry fire.

cocojo

I always found they shoot to the left when they are new, then straighten out as the barrel smooths out. I think the black phosphous coating they use is in the barrel when they are new and wears away after 500 rounds or so. Once the bore gets nice a shinny they shoot to point of aim, or it may be trigger control. If this is your first Glock stay with it, just take up the initial slack until it stops, hold and squeeze to fire the pistol.

Powderman

Let's start with the fundamentals:

1. Proper firing position and grip.

Grasp the weapon firmly, with the grip tang (right under the slide) seated firmly in the web of the hand. There should be no space visible between the bottom of the tang and the top of your hand. This lowers the centerline of the bore, and makes the weapon easier to control.

The pistol should be aligned so that the front sight is in line with your elbow. If it is off even by a little, shot placement will suffer.

The trigger finger should be placed so that the center of the first joint (pad of the finger) is centered on the trigger.

2. Sight alignment, picture and concentration.

Remember, front sight even with the rear, and centered in the notch. Disregard the dot and U--this is for close in, quick reference combat shooting. Use the regular sight picture for everything else.

Concentrate on that front sight. I mean, really SLAM your focus to it. Use both eyes; the good Lord gave us stereoptic vision--use it! Both eyes focused hard on that sight.

3. Fire from the reset.

Pull the trigger straight to the rear smoothly, until the weapon fires. Here's where it gets tricky...

Do NOT lose contact with that trigger. Hold it firmly to the rear until the pistol settles. Now, slowly release the trigger until you feel a click. At that point, the striker is reset, and the pistol is ready to fire again. Pull straight to the rear--total reset/firing distance is only 3/16ths inch for a Glock handgun. Once you get used to this system, you will be able to shoot your Glock faster than you thought possible. Try it out!

zukiphile

Trigger overtravel?

Not all Glocks have it to the same degree. For fun, stick a bit of rubber washer or pencil eraser behind the trigger, dry fire and see if it still jumps.

I had the rubber plunger from a hypodermic needle glued behind my trigger.

SDC

You're likely not pulling straight back with the pad of your finger; that way, as soon as the trigger bar drops away from the striker, your squeeze ends up jumping to the end of the trigger travel and, "boink".

Lavan

You're likely not pulling straight back with the pad of your finger; that way, as soon as the trigger bar drops away from the striker, your squeeze ends up jumping to the end of the trigger travel and, "boink".

BINGO!!! Just paid attention and that IS the problem.

Thank ya thank ya thank ya.

I just KNEW it wasn't trigger control (at least not the "usual" trigger control issue) as I have 1st place trophies in both bullseye and silhouette shooting.

But I ...was... allowing the pull to continue to the right after the break.

This pistol is different from the G30 I had which I had on my CCW years back.
I shot 298/300 with that pistol in my annual qual that we are required to maintain for Sacramento County CCW.

THIS gun just has a different personality.

SDC, have a beer on me.

Coors, you'll hafta pay for it.
:D

Lavan

I....APOLOGIZE..... I always write "Coors" for "course" to make it beer related. Never thought how it could actually mean... BEER.

NO.... I would not wish a Coors on you.

:D

Lavan

Hold The Horses!!!!

Zukiphile nailed it. I tried his pencil eraser gimmick. YOWZER!

There is now a small section of garden hose washer glued behind my trigger.
It is EXACTLY as wide as the trigger and has

.........CHANGED THE WHOLE GUN !!!!!

It won't "poink" with even a WRAPAROUND on the trigger.

WHAT a difference! It matches exactly the break point of the trigger and stops it dead and softly.

WOW !!!!

HooRAW!!!

:):):):)