Glock in 357 Sig : should I buy?

9mmSkeeter

Handloader here. Was looking to get a 357 sig barrel for my G22 (already have stock barrel & 9mm Storm Lake barrel). But I saw a G32 in the case which fit my hand nicely - a lot nicer than a G26/27 does - and I don’t have a subcompact Glock (19, 23, etc) so a new frame size would get added to the pile.

I wonder : is this ridiculous overlap? Buying another glock I could just get a conversion barrel for? To clarify the barrel would be for the G22, so it would house three calibers.

I don’t plan to carry this one, but this size feels good in my hand.
Conversion barrel : $149
This used G32 gen 3 : $450

Obvious price difference but I’d gain a new frame size and dedicated slide stamped w/ alternate caliber which would be pretty cool.
Whatsayyou?

Last edited:

BornFighting88

See the thread in one of these sub-forums labeled "Do you want a gun you don't need". You shall find yee answer in there, friend!

Short story long, get the whole gun.

My humble opinion, I had a SIG P320 in 357 SIG, liked it. But that boasted the modularity, the only issue was the platform was so relatively new that the parts and kits were stupid expensive still. I don't know if that has changed any, but the point is that getting a caliber change wasn't worth it.

It would have cost the same as an entire new gun.

Get the whole gun. I have no shame spending your money for you. :D

Do it.

MarkCO

The main reason I got out of .357 SIG, .400 Corbon (Kept the .40 Super) was the issue of cost of factory ammo and the frustrations of loading bottle necked auto-pistol rounds. Just something to consider if handloading it a main draw to the caliber.

Case neck tension needs to be there, and it is harder to maintain with bottle necked autopistol rounds. Lee FCDs are almost a necessity. I also found I had to anneal after a few firings, which pretty much eliminated the used of Nickle cases. Just make sure you do some research and are willing to put in the extra work to prevent bullet set back with the .357 SIG.

9mmSkeeter

The main reason I got out of .357 SIG, .400 Corbon (Kept the .40 Super) was the issue of cost of factory ammo and the frustrations of loading bottle necked auto-pistol rounds. Just something to consider if handloading it a main draw to the caliber.

Case neck tension needs to be there, and it is harder to maintain with bottle necked autopistol rounds. Lee FCDs are almost a necessity. I also found I had to anneal after a few firings, which pretty much eliminated the used of Nickle cases. Just make sure you do some research and are willing to put in the extra work to prevent bullet set back with the .357 SIG.

So it’s like loading a rifle round then essentially? Those can be extremely frustrating for me but I’m getting there eventually (I shoot pistol 20x more often than rifle, no joke). All my pistol sets are Lyman. Just a ridiculous stack of hunter orange and was going to do the same for 357SIG :D. I figured a new caliber would be fun but maybe not. Hmmm. What extra work is required here? Thanks for your time.

MarkCO

So it’s like loading a rifle round then essentially?

Yes, but even a little more work with the large diameter, short neck. Certainly doable. Honestly, I did not even think about it when I got my .357 Sig. When I was on the third loading and started to see some things I did not like, I sought some advice and I got it all worked out okay.

Setting up the dies like a rifle, instead of bottoming out the die on the shellplate/holder. Lee FCDs and, eventually, annealing. For a few loadings, one can probably ignore annealing.

Dave P

I like the 357 sig - punchy and fast little round. SIG P226 is what I shoot.

Yes, can be an extra step or two when reloading. Lee FCD is wonderful. Cases last a long time, and I never anneal.

jmstr

If the 32 fits a frame size you don't have, and that would be useful to you- get it!

You can 'always' get a G23 barrel for it, if you want to use .40 in that frame.

I personally don't have a dedicated .357sig handgun. However, I have .357sig barrels I can swap out in a couple handguns.

The .357sig round is fun [aren't they all?], but I actually use 9mm or .45acp more [not from same frame/slide].

I think one of the most fun 'setups' you could get would be to get the G32, then get a 40S&W barrel for it [G23 would be economical- but aftermarket has more case support?], and a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for it, then add a .22lr conversion kit for the top end.

Then- 1 frame, with 4 calibers to choose from.

So much fun, with one frame to clean [a lot].

Of course, if the compact frame isn't a draw for you, you could get the .357 barrel, the .40-9mm conversion barrel and .22lr conversion kit for your existing G22. Aftermarket barrels will run you a bit less [for .357 and 40-9] as the new G32.

I am hoping to find a G22 upper at pre-covid prices, [Gen 3], so I can do this with a G34 I have.

Just a thought.

Doc13067

9mm is the way to go in my opinion. But for just another toy, why not. If it’s about the size of a compact any compact Glock should have the same dimensions. And I am pretty sure the ballistics of a .357 sig could almost be achieved with really hot 9mm. Sorry if my comment is not much help, I tried to start a new thread and instead I commented here and could not figure out how to delete my comment so I just changed it to make it more relevant lol. Good luck on whatever you buy!

Last edited:

CDW4ME

Glock 19/23/32 size pistol is easily concealed, even in FL heat.
Glock 32 is about 1,350 fps / 500# KE with factory 125 gr. HST / Gold Dot - I like mine.

amd6547

For a while, I had a 357sig barrel for a G23…
After shooting it for a while, I decided the caliber really did nothing for me that wasn’t covered by .40S&W and +P+ 9mm, so I gave up on it.

Red Devil

Handloader here. Was looking to get a 357 sig barrel for my G22 (already have stock barrel & 9mm Storm Lake barrel). But I saw a G32 in the case which fit my hand nicely - a lot nicer than a G26/27 does - and I don’t have a subcompact Glock (19, 23, etc) so a new frame size would get added to the pile.

I wonder : is this ridiculous overlap? Buying another glock I could just get a conversion barrel for? To clarify the barrel would be for the G22, so it would house three calibers.

I don’t plan to carry this one, but this size feels good in my hand.
Conversion barrel : $149
This used G32 gen 3 : $450

Obvious price difference but I’d gain a new frame size and dedicated slide stamped w/ alternate caliber which would be pretty cool.
Whatsayyou?
Me?

Wouldn't fool w/ a Gen3 chambered in .40/.357SIG.

The Gen4 was Glock's upgrade for the .40/.357SIG chamberings (that's why the 9mm's were initially problematic).

That said, a G23.4, w/ a 5.3" .357SIG conversion Bbl., is a beautiful rig.

Subsonic .40/180 gr. for social work, and .357SIG/Hornady Custom 147 gr. XTP (or S&B 140 gr. FMJ-FP) at > 1300 fps for the woods.

(the Hornady Custom 147 gr. XTP uses a non-catalog bullet, designed like a .357 mag revolver round)

Real work-horse pistol.

Red

Last edited:

jmr40

Glock 32 is about 1,350 fps / 500# KE with factory 125 gr. HST / Gold Dot - I like mine.

The extra 50 fps over 9mm isn't worth the trouble or reduced mag capacity to me. But it is to some people.

Had a G32 once.
Sold a G32 once.

It didn't do anything my 9mm and 10mm glocks already do and ammo was expensive and hard to find. I know you reload, bottle neck vs straight wall (the extra steps for bottle necked) killed that idea for me. Good Luck whatever you decide!

Ruger45LC

I think if you're serious about the caliber it's good to get the whole gun, the conversion barrels are cool but it's cooler to have the gun stamped properly for what you're shooting.

CDW4ME

The extra 50 fps over 9mm isn't worth the trouble or reduced mag capacity to me. But it is to some people.

I'm going to use my chrono data (averages) since its same barrel lengths.
Glock 19: Federal HST 124 gr. +P @ 1,210 fps / 403# KE
Glock 32: Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

That is more like 150 fps increase over 9mm +P and 22% greater KE

That said, 9mm is a good minimum; Glock 19, Shield, Sig 365, Hellcat are decent carry guns.

Red Devil

I'm going to use my chrono data (averages) since its same barrel lengths.
Glock 19: Federal HST 124 gr. +P @ 1,210 fps / 403# KE
Glock 32: Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

That is more like 150 fps increase over 9mm +P and 22% greater KE

That said, 9mm is a good minimum; Glock 19, Shield, Sig 365, Hellcat are decent carry guns.

And, out of a 5.3" .357Sig Bbl:

The non-catalog HDY Custom 147 gr. XTP at > 1300 fps., for ~ 24" penetration and > 600 ft-lbs of energy.

Or, 9mm Para point blank range performance at 200 yds.

A field and trail performer.

Red

CDW4ME

And, out of a 5.3" .357Sig Bbl:

I've got a 357 Sig barrel for my Glock 35 - the longer barrel increases velocity a bit.
All factory ammo, 5 shot average:
125 Gold Dot @ 1,399 fps / 543# KE
125 HST @ 1,415 fps / 556# KE
125 Ranger T @ 1,428 fps / 566# KE
125 PPU FPJ @ 1,461 fps / 593# KE

dgludwig

What extra work is required here?

For one thing, no pistol type carbide dies. You'll have to lube the cases like any bottleneck case. No big deal, but nothing is quite as easy to reload as straight-walled cases, be they rifle or handgun.

9mmSkeeter

Thanks for all the replies.

Due to what’s going on in my life and whatnot, I think I’d rather just pass on messing around with bottleneck casings. It’s not impossible of course, but I’m trying to rid my life of frustrations as a personal goal inasmuch as possible.

Maybe I’ll just hit up 10mm or 357 mag instead. :)