Glock Generation differences?

BloodyThumb

I am looking for input (facts only please) from the Glock 'smiths. I am a long time 1911 shooter, but I recently picked up a very old G19 from a friend who needed money, and would not accept a loan.

I took it with me to a recent LARGE gun show because I knew that Glock was to have a booth, reps, and armorer's there. After standing in line to get to one of the armorer's, to my surprise, they replaced springs, the firing pin, the extractor, and did a complete inspection while I stood there watching, and then handed it back to me.... no charge. I was impressed...... The armorer did tell me it was a very early 1st generation, made in early 1990. There were many folks behind me in line, so I did not take any more of the man's time than he offered. The one question I would have asked, is what I would like to ask here.

What is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2? Did the spring, extractor, and firing pin changes cover the differences, or are there differences in the frame, trigger mech, or anything else between these two versions? By the way, the spring changes he made in the frame were, according to the armorer, due to upgrades, not wear. The pistol is old, but has been fired VERY LITTLE.

Can someone answer this for me with facts?

Many thanks in advance

BT

FPrice

BT....

You may want to try going over to Glocktalk

http://www.glocktalk.com

and posting this question. Not that there aren't a lot of people who can answer your questions here - there are. But you will find a whole wealth of info on GT about Glocks and you might find out just what a great pistol you really have!

I have two G19's and like them a lot.

Brian48

Well, I'm not sure about the extractor, but I know that earlier generations of Glocks could easily be distinguished from the later ones by the molded texture on the grips. The older ones had a smoother, pebbled texture to them while the newer ones had sharp checkering. The older Glocks also used a plastic guide rod similiar to that used by other autos and separate recoil spring. The newer ones did away with this and the guide rod/recoil spring comes as a single assembly. Internally, the metal parts used in the frame of the older guns are parkerized (tenifer?) while the newer ones are chrome plated.

Although not really dependent on the generation of the gun, earlier magazines did not drop-free when the mag release was pressed. I think the newer mags came out at approximately the same time as the newer guns. They're inter-changable, of course, but usually whenever I find an old Glock for sale, it generally comes with the older mags a long with it.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Newer Glocks seem to have a better trigger (comparing new G17, 23 with my older Glocks). Adjustable sights are less fragile.