Glock Gen 5: most reliable Glock ever?

Josh17

I know some claim the Gen 5’s didn’t change much but internally there is so many changes, even if minor. But tweaking a part, even minorly, can make a drastic difference. Is it still too early to tell if the internal changes are better or worse? It sucks a lot of things aren’t compatible with older Gen’s but *if* the internal changes are better, then I’m sure it’s worth it.
Also I remember the Gen 4 Glock’s having issues upon release, but I haven’t heard of any issues with the Gen 5 Glock’s. Is it too too early to tell?
Gen 5’s don’t seem to be having any known issues like the Gen 4’s experiences.

Quite a few sources list the Gen 5’s as the most reliable Glock’s ever. True?

I happened to read an article that may back that up, here is a quotes I found:

“Regarding durability, we’ve heard from a reliable source that the Mean Rounds Between Stoppage (MRBS) is 11,000 and there’s at least one Gen5 with more than 30,000 rounds through it with no parts replacement”
^^recoilweb

Another source:

“Many were surprised when Glock won the FBI contract, because the FBI RFP (Request for Proposal) appeared to be written for the modular SIG Sauer P320 pistol. The P320 is a fine shooting and highly versatile piece that can be changed to numerous configurations and calibers just by moving the Fire Control Unit from one chassis to another. But three Gt17s and three G19s surpassed it in the reliability department by expending 20,000 Speer rounds per gun for a total of 120,000 rounds without one stoppage or malfunction

“Slide and internal parts are coated and “cloaked” with state-of-the-art Nitrogen Doped Diamond-Like Carbon (NDLC). Tennifer, previously used by Glock, is a metal treatment, whereas NDLC is a metal coating. Three springs essential for pistol operation have been improved and can endure 10,000 rounds before being replaced

No front-strap finger grooves
Conventionally rifled barrel, crowned at the muzzle
Stronger trigger safety pin
Enhanced locking block and rails
Longer recoil spring assembly
Enhanced ejector
Improved trigger
Enhanced firing pin safety and spring
Ambidextrous slide releases/stops, both shielded
Stronger slide lock lever spring
Improved magazine base pads
Flared magazine well
Cut-out in grip to facilitate easy removal of stuck magazine
AmeriGlo sights
Safariland ALS holster
Four back straps
Externals and internals coated with NDLC
Other upgraded internal parts
Here’s the article:
https://www.swatmag.com/article/fbi-issues-new-pistol-glock-19m/

^^That’s for the G19M - but isn’t that the exact same thing as the Glock 19 Gen 5? Also I thought only the external was coated with their nDLC, not internals?

Quotes from Glock: (Dorsey being VP of Glock)

The GAO describes Sig Sauer 320 as having lower reliability than Glock 19 on page 11, footnote 13 of its findings.
Under the factor 1 reliability evaluation, Sig Sauer's full-sized handgun had a HIGHER stoppage rate than Glock's handgun, and there may have been other problems with the weapon's accuracy," GAO states.

To Dorsey, that "says it all."

"When you have stuff in the GAO report that says their stoppage rate is higher than ours -- that's a problem," Dorsey said.

Glock also argued that the Army's testing only went up to 12,500 rounds when the "service life of the selected pistol is specified to be 25,000 rounds," according to Glock's legal argument to GAO.

^^Those are all massive claims. Supposedly all the internal changes make it the “most reliable Glock ever”. I did watch a 1,000 round test on YouTube and the Gen 5 guide rod didn’t melt off like in the video James Yager did.
They also said they put 1,300 rounds (and froze it twice) BEFORE firing it 1,000 times, with zero cleaning or lube all 2,300 rounds straight from the box.

How come the guide rod didn’t melt? Just “luck of the draw” or did the internal changes prevent that?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3352fRrhSg

Anyone with knowledge on all the internal changes on the Gen 5, can anyone confirm if all the above is true? I mean Glock changed A LOT internally, more than most people think. Sure a lot of it is minor, but every change makes a difference. Most people judge it by the external but internal if it truly is an “improvement” then that would be good to know.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Conventionally rifled barrel...
It is closer to conventional rifling than the traditional Glock barrel, but I still wouldn't call it "conventional".
How come the guide rod didn’t melt? Just “luck of the draw” or did the internal changes prevent that?
Glock changed the polymer formula for the polymer guide rods some time ago to help prevent that. But more to the point, the Gen 5 glocks have a mostly metal recoil spring assembly.

Took a pistol class awhile back. 12 students all using Glocks. The only malfunctions I saw (other than the ones intentionally induced for stoppage training) were in a Gen 5 gun that would consistently jam on dummy rounds, requiring the shooter to slam the backstrap with one hand while holding the slide with the other to eject the jammed round. The instructor mentioned that he had seen this before and attributed it to a tighter chambers in the Gen 5 that sometimes had trouble with ammo that was slightly out of spec.

Chui

I know some claim the Gen 5’s didn’t change much but internally there is so many changes, even if minor. But tweaking a part, even minorly, can make a drastic difference. Is it still too early to tell if the internal changes are better or worse? It sucks a lot of things aren’t compatible with older Gen’s but *if* the internal changes are better, then I’m sure it’s worth it.

Also I remember the Gen 4 Glock’s having issues upon release, but I haven’t heard of any issues with the Gen 5 Glock’s. Is it too too early to tell?

Gen 5’s don’t seem to be having any known issues like the Gen 4’s experiences.

Quite a few sources list the Gen 5’s as the most reliable Glock’s ever. True?

I happened to read an article that may back that up, here is a quotes I found:

“Regarding durability, we’ve heard from a reliable source that the Mean Rounds Between Stoppage (MRBS) is 11,000 and there’s at least one Gen5 with more than 30,000 rounds through it with no parts replacement”

^^recoilweb

Another source:

“Many were surprised when Glock won the FBI contract, because the FBI RFP (Request for Proposal) appeared to be written for the modular SIG Sauer P320 pistol. The P320 is a fine shooting and highly versatile piece that can be changed to numerous configurations and calibers just by moving the Fire Control Unit from one chassis to another. But three Gt17s and three G19s surpassed it in the reliability department by expending 20,000 Speer rounds per gun for a total of 120,000 rounds without one stoppage or malfunction

“Slide and internal parts are coated and “cloaked” with state-of-the-art Nitrogen Doped Diamond-Like Carbon (NDLC). Tennifer, previously used by Glock, is a metal treatment, whereas NDLC is a metal coating. Three springs essential for pistol operation have been improved and can endure 10,000 rounds before being replaced

No front-strap finger grooves

Conventionally rifled barrel, crowned at the muzzle

Stronger trigger safety pin

Enhanced locking block and rails

Longer recoil spring assembly

Enhanced ejector

Improved trigger

Enhanced firing pin safety and spring

Ambidextrous slide releases/stops, both shielded

Stronger slide lock lever spring

Improved magazine base pads

Flared magazine well

Cut-out in grip to facilitate easy removal of stuck magazine

AmeriGlo sights

Safariland ALS holster

Four back straps

Externals and internals coated with NDLC

Other upgraded internal parts

Here’s the article:

https://www.swatmag.com/article/fbi-issues-new-pistol-glock-19m/

^^That’s for the G19M - but isn’t that the exact same thing as the Glock 19 Gen 5? Also I thought only the external was coated with their nDLC, not internals?

Quotes from Glock: (Dorsey being VP of Glock)

The GAO describes Sig Sauer 320 as having lower reliability than Glock 19 on page 11, footnote 13 of its findings.

Under the factor 1 reliability evaluation, Sig Sauer's full-sized handgun had a HIGHER stoppage rate than Glock's handgun, and there may have been other problems with the weapon's accuracy," GAO states.

To Dorsey, that "says it all."

"When you have stuff in the GAO report that says their stoppage rate is higher than ours -- that's a problem," Dorsey said.

Glock also argued that the Army's testing only went up to 12,500 rounds when the "service life of the selected pistol is specified to be 25,000 rounds," according to Glock's legal argument to GAO.

^^Those are all massive claims. Supposedly all the internal changes make it the “most reliable Glock ever”. I did watch a 1,000 round test on YouTube and the Gen 5 guide rod didn’t melt off like in the video James Yager did.

They also said they put 1,300 rounds (and froze it twice) BEFORE firing it 1,000 times, with zero cleaning or lube all 2,300 rounds straight from the box.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3352fRrhSg

Anyone with knowledge on all the internal changes on the Gen 5, can anyone confirm if all the above is true? I mean Glock changed A LOT internally, more than most people think. Sure a lot of it is minor, but every change makes a difference. Most people judge it by the external but internal if it truly is an “improvement” then that would be good to know.

Yes to all of the above.

Purchase with confidence.

One thing I noticed is that the EJECTOR on the 19X is different than that of the Gen5.

The EXTRACTORS seem to be the same (have not checked part numbers).

I would purchase the 19X EJECTOR and install it in the Gen5.

cd943690d43f64f0f39de4a700126fab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK103K

I have a plain old Gen 3 17 that just passed 130,500 rounds this weekend.

Broke its second trigger reset spring yesterday. Broke the first one around 90,000. Both times, even with the spring broke, the gun still functioned if you held the reset as it cycled.

Haven't had anything else go. Still replace the RSA twice a year or so.

Who needs a Gen 5? :D

Josh17

It is closer to conventional rifling than the traditional Glock barrel, but I still wouldn't call it "conventional".Glock changed the polymer formula for the polymer guide rods some time ago to help prevent that. But more to the point, the Gen 5 glocks have a mostly metal recoil spring assembly.

Took a pistol class awhile back. 12 students all using Glocks. The only malfunctions I saw (other than the ones intentionally induced for stoppage training) were in a Gen 5 gun that would consistently jam on dummy rounds, requiring the shooter to slam the backstrap with one hand while holding the slide with the other to eject the jammed round. The instructor mentioned that he had seen this before and attributed it to a tighter chambers in the Gen 5 that sometimes had trouble with ammo that was slightly out of spec.
Interesting, would this be a problem with common factory rounds?

I have watched so many videos on Gen 5, and most good.

If buying a new Glock many say pick the proven Gen 3 and 4, but, I wonder if the Gen 5 is considered proven yet through all the tests, both civilian and Army and Department tests.

Like isn’t the GM19 the same as the Civilian model Gen 5’s?

sigarms228

It would not surprise me at all if the Gen5 Glock is the most reliable ever. Pretty much everything I have read about it is very positive and I would not hesitate to buy one myself and the only reason I have not is because I already have a low mileage Gen 2 Glock 19 that I have owned since new.

Interesting thread on Gen 5 Glock 17 and commentary from someone exposed to quite a few being used at his department.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3330085834/p/1

weblance

I'm going to find out in the morning. I have 17 different types of 9mm ammo ready in the range bag, and I intend to run it all...

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 54

youngridge

I like my gen 4’s. That being said I love the grip on my G43 more than the gen 3’s and 4’s, no finger grooves on the 43. If the internals on the gen 5’s keep holding up by the end of next summer I will definitely be in the market for a G26 and 19 gen 5. But in the meantime keep waiting and checking reviews

L-2

What should be, and I hope to experience, in reliability with my new Gen5 guns are three springs which have broken on my prior Gen Glocks:

-slide stop springs (now using a coil spring and I don't expect to break);

-trigger spring (still a coil spring but now a compression, not an expansion, spring and without the "S" hooks which tended to break. I don't expect this trigger spring design to break, either).

-slide lock "leaf" spring. The newer designs didn't break as often but if it did break "just right", it could result in Glock needing to replace the entire frame. (The Gen5 design now uses a coil spring and I don't expect to ever break, athough I'd already lost one detail stripping a Gen5 while educating myself in the Gen5 intricacies as I don't renew my Armorer certification for another year).

I suppose, now that I think about it, these three newly designed springs could or might break someday if these springs should somehow become brittle or rusted due to extreme age or water exposure.

tipoc

They made a whole array of changes to the Gen 5 guns that it will take a few years to see the overall effect of. The gun looks right now to be much improved and increases Glock's competitive position.

The barrel was mentioned. Glock reliability, for which it is well known, was in part a result of oversize chambers. Oversize in relation to other makes and traditional chambers by about .003" (I'm going by measurements of the 9mm.) The new barrels tightened this up. This was done to improve accuracy which a number of reviews I've read comment on.

The recoil rod was increased in diameter and the springs improved. They are more along the lines of those that were used in the baby Glocks, diameter wise. This is a notable improvement. For years, I personally don't know how long, Glock used the same weight recoil spring in their 40 S&W guns that they did in their 9mm guns. Why they did this I don't know but it led to premature wear on their guns and a reputation for the 40 S&W that it was rough on guns.

I don't put a lot of weight in tests that run a G19 until the guide rod melts. I can't think of any condition in the real world that that replicates. Might be useful if I'm considering what piece to carry once I'm dead and have to go to the hot place though.

There is a down side to some things, like the lack of compatibility with some parts of older gens, magazines for example. (On some things there are already work arounds that may help.) These changes were necessary. Glock has been losing market share and the basic design showing it's age.

tipoc

JDBerg

Well all of the Gen 5’s are 9mm, so that in and of itself may speak to the improved reliability of the Gen5 models. I’ve never had any issues with my 9mm Glocks that were attributable to the guns themselves, the minor problems I’ve had were all ammo related. The only real issues I ever had with a Glock pistol which weren’t ammo related was with an early Gen4 G-22, I sincerely apologize to the person who got stuck with that G-22 after I dumped it, but then the original owner dumped it on me, so I don’t feel so bad;)

I’d be real interested to see which other models & calibers get the Gen5 treatment. I think the 20 & 21 would both be really great candidates for Gen5 upgrades.

WVsig

It would not surprise me at all if the Gen5 Glock is the most reliable ever. Pretty much everything I have read about it is very positive and I would not hesitate to buy one myself and the only reason I have not is because I already have a low mileage Gen 2 Glock 19 that I have owned since new.

Interesting thread on Gen 5 Glock 17 and commentary from someone exposed to quite a few being used at his department.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3330085834/p/1

That is Jerry Jones of OpSpec Training who is commenting in that thread about the Glock Gen 5s. I have trained with Jerry and he has no real love for Glocks. He like many good shooters shoots them left IIRC. Kind of like Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn. For those who don't know OpSpec is a training group out of KY who works extensively with Bruce Gray who is a one of the top Sig gunsmiths and shooters. They know their stuff. Initially I did not consider the Gen 5s to be a major improvement but with some trigger time on them I like them better than the other gens. I posted this in another thread on the Glock 19X but I will post it here again. If you are buying new get the Gen 5. If you already own a Gen 3 or Gen 4 keep it and enjoy.

I took a training class with Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn about a month ago. We talked a lot about different platforms. Both LV and KH said it is a Glock world. They train and consult all over the world and in every country they go to you see Glocks in 9mm. 95% of them are 17s and 19s. In the rest of the world where there is no conceal carry there is not need for smaller guns then the Glock 19 and outside the US 9mm rules. These guys get the opportunity to shot just about everything. KH was shooting the Wilson Combat EDC X9 and LV was shooting a Glock 19X. They both said by far the Gen 5 is the best Glock ever made. They have shot high round count, 15,000 -20,000 round Gen 5s and they say they are the most accurate, most durable & best Glock trigger made to date.

I shot the 19X and it is a good gun. Did not make me want to take a loss on the Gen 3's and Gen 4s in the the stable trading in on a Gen 5 but if I buy a new one I would pay the extra and get the Gen 5.

This is a pic of Larry shooting a 19X at the training I attended.

D5B3Hm8.jpg

sigarms228

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good info WVsig, thanks.

I am sure I will buy a Gen 5 Glock fairly soon.

TunnelRat

I don’t have enough rounds through my Gen 5 to really comment on reliability. At 1200 rds or so it’s been fine, but then so were my Gen 3s. I do appreciate the lack of finger grooves and the internal changes do make it more robust, imo. The larger magazine release that came with Gen 4 likely made the biggest difference for me and my stubby thumbs. I hesitate to agree with the better trigger comments. The trigger does break lighter by a half pound or so than my other Glocks. However, on my pistol the break is notably less defined than my Gen 3s. It’s more of a rolling break, if that makes sense. I shoot it well, probably better than my other Glocks, but I’ve always shot Glocks reasonably well, especially at speed. I’d also rather not have the flared mag well so I could still pinch magazines on the sides.

I could completely agree that the internal changes result in a pistol that may well do better in the long run. However, given how well older Glocks did I do think it’s more of a matter of diminishing returns and the percentage of shooters that will benefit from that long term robustness may not be inconsequential on these forums, may be less in reality.

WVsig

Why is it that the 9mm is the main caliber worldwide?
I would assume these days NATO has a lot to do with it. The 9mm has been the dominate caliber in Europe for a long time. IIRC it has been the most popular caliber in Europe since after WWI. Its dominance carries through to today.

Also other semi-auto calibers that are popular in the US like 40 S&W and 45 ACP have never had the popularity outside the US that they enjoy here. 40 S&W exists because the FBI. The rest of the world does not care what the FBI does. The 45 ACP has always been mainly a US caliber.

With modern JHP technology and even modern ball ammo the 9mm has proven to be an effective caliber. It can be deployed in a handgun or a subgun making it extremely versatile. Also it is an extremely easy to shoot caliber. Capacity in also an advantage in a military sidearm. All of these things combine to make 9mm the most popular caliber in the world IMHO.