Glock Gen 4 Factory Beavertail Backstraps

TunnelRat

Hi all,
Recently I purchased a Glock 19 Gen 4. As some of you might know the newer Gen 4s are coming with beavertail backstraps, two of them, in addition to the two regular backstraps for Medium and Large. I've been playing around with the Medium beavertail and I'm sort of liking it. It reminds me very much of the fullsize M&P.

I was wondering if other folks have tried them out and if they have any opinions, positive or negative.

Thanks,
-TR

Coach Z

I'm a fan

I have very big hands and I've tried all the back-straps on my new gen 4's and I like the smaller of the two beaver tails ones the best as well.

I bought a gen 4 17 in FDE when they first came out and it did not come with the beavertail back-strap. Anyone know where to get one in FDE?

RBid

I have tried it, and fell in love immediately. Since trying it, I have picked up a Glock 19 Gen 4 with the beavertails (my first one is a 2011), traded my Glock 23 Gen 3 in for a Glock 23 Gen 4 with the beavertails, and am seriously considering trading my 2011 Glock 19 Gen 4 in for another one with the beavertails and the notch cut.

I practice my draw at least twice a week, and have found that I lock into a strong grip very quickly with the beavertail installed. It gives me a ledge to drive up and into, and my hand comes to rest right where I want it. Once I have the gun up, I can let my strong hand thumb go where it wants to go naturally (very high on the grip) without getting slide bite like I do without the beavertail.

It's a game changer for me.

TunnelRat

I practice my draw at least twice a week, and have found that I lock into a strong grip very quickly with the beavertail installed. It gives me a ledge to drive up and into, and my hand comes to rest right where I want it

Took the words out of my mouth. I an finding it basically adds another point of contact on my hand and gives me a good deal more stability.

Last edited:

sig1

I also use the medium beavertail on my g23 gen 4, like Said it just seams to lock into my hand.

Noreaster

I use the med on my G22 (no notch on top but no problems so far,) and large on my G23. I get severe slide bite so the beavertail wasn't an option for me. I feel like it changes the angle slightly but not enough to bother me. Odd side note I've been nursing a hand/wrist/forearm injury and I had problems with the med backstrap on the G23. I switched to the large backstrap and it worked nicely, no pain or flinching!

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Nice to hear other positive reports.

no notch on top but no problems so far

I'm curious, how well does it lock in without the notch? I know the earlier Gen 4s didn't have the notch. With the notch on mine it almost seems like it could hold in without the pin, though of course you need it for the trigger housing.

Noreaster

I have the G22 in a level three duty holster with a rotating top strap. You would think it would mess with the unsecured beavertail but it hasn't. I use the G22 all the time, including tactical training and I haven't had a problem. I generally forget it doesn't snap in at the top. Prior to the beavertail I did tend to shoot slightly left, with the beavertail I don't have that problem anymore. I believe it's the added support.

pilpens

My Gen 4 Glock 34 did not come with the backstrap. I bought them separate. I use the smaller backstrap and it makes the grip as big as a Gen 3 Glock. I like it. It seems to help with recoil management and lowers my grip a hair which seems to be more comfortable than without the backstrap.

TunnelRat

It seems to help with recoil management and lowers my grip a hair which seems to be more comfortable than without the backstrap.

I also like having a little more meat on the grip at the top as opposed to how it feels with no backstrap. Seems more comfortable.

When I had purchased my first Glock 19 Gen4, it felt a little funny to me.
I have huge hands so it felt, smaller. I put on the M and L size backstraps and it felt perfect for me as well.

Not to mention the M size is the original 3rd gen size. So that's why I felt funny.

Congrats!!

Theohazard

TunnelRat said:
I'm curious, how well does it lock in without the notch?
Fairly well, but it will bend down if you put downward pressure on it, then snap back in place when you let go. It doesn't feel any different when you're actually gripping the gun, but I'd worry that it would snag my shirt if I carried it that way.

Hitthespot

I recently purchased my first glock a gen 4. One of the main reasons I purchased was because of how much better it felt to me than the Gen 3. I guess I'm in the minority because I like mine with nothing added.

TunnelRat

I guess I'm in the minority because I like mine with nothing added.

I don't think you are. But this is a thread going to attract those that do change it.

While the Gen 4 default size does feel a bit better in my hand, I shoot the pistol better with the Medium backstrap, beavertail or not, and my finger indexes in a better spot on the trigger.

Ozzieman

I have the big beaver tail on my G34. It works for me and feels very comfortable. I find it easier and faster to get the gun in the hand in the same position each time.

Hitthespot

While the Gen 4 default size does feel a bit better in my hand, I shoot the pistol better with the Medium backstrap, beavertail or not, and my finger indexes in a better spot on the trigger.

Maybe I'll try it that way next time I go to the range. I must admit I don't like the way my hand falls naturally on the pistol. I always feel like I have to push my hand into it.

TunnelRat

Maybe I'll try it that way next time I go to the range. I must admit I don't like the way my hand falls naturally on the pistol. I always feel like I have to push my hand into it.

It's worth a shot. I always try out the backstraps if it comes with them. No reason not to.