GLOCK G36 SLIMLINE Opinions??

BarryLee

I went to the range the other day and after shooting started poking around the sales counter. They were pretty slow, so I asked to see a variety of guns and the one that caught my attention was a GLOCK G36.

The G36 is the small single stack .45 which has a 6 + 1 capacity I think they call it a “Slimline” model. I was really surprise how much I liked the gun and how well it seemed to fit my hand. I am not sure if I was just amazed to see a smallish GLOCK that was comfortable to hold or what. I currently own a G20 in 10mm and enjoy shooting it sometimes, but it is not small or comfortable. This is really kind of an impulsive thing since I have never really considered this gun before.

So, does anyone own and maybe carry one of these guns? Do you think it is a good carry solution?

Hammerhead

I would like to hear some opinions too. Considering one for CCW. They look good (for a Glock) and feel great in the hand.

ClydeFrog

Robert Boatman; Bostman Books...

The late author & gun writer Robert Boatman packed a compact Glock 36 .45acp as a carry pistol. Watch his www.youtube.com clips. He wore the model 36 in a horizontal shoulder rig.
Boatman also wrote at length about the Glock series, www.Glockbooks.com .

I'm not a big fan of the striker fired Glock models but the model 36 is impressive & is popular with many armed citizens/armed professionals.

ClydeFrog
PS: Robert Boatman says in one clip that he used the old style Black Talon .45acp 230gr JHP as a carry round.
Today, I'd suggest the DPX load, the Speer Gold Dot +P 230gr JHP short barrel, the PowRBall, or the Hornady TAP. See www.Natchezss.com or www.Shopcorbon.com .

barstoolguru

you want one; you know you do. all I can say it's a glock, look around and see what gun is most talked about and what they say. they work because they fit your hand. the weight is in the slide and mag which gives it balance

vostracker

BarryLee & Hammerhead: I have a OD Glock 36. I really like it alot. For its size and weight, it shoots pretty soft for a 45 of its size. It has been very accurate with no problems. At the time, I was thinking of a S&W Chief Special in .45, but couldnt find one. Found the Glock and have not regretted it.

You might check out www.glock.com and read what they have to say about it. I was never a glock fan until I was required to carry one. Now I have two. A 19 and the 36, both in OD. One thing to consider. The 19 and the 36 are close in size. The 19 is a 9mm, but holds 15+1 as compared to the 36 with 6+1. I dont have a problem with carrying a gun with 6+1. I carried a revolver for a long time with only six!!! Mine is loaded with Federal EFMJ. It a armadillo killer for sure.

freenokia

I bought one for myself a few weeks ago. Awesome little gun. One of those few that I knew I wouldn't ever sell unless I had to.

Carries a lot easier than my K frame snub. It's not a pocket gun, but it's very thin and very light; which makes for very very easy iwb carry.

It's a little jumpy in the recoil dept...nothing serious but noticable.

Capicity is what it is. Like Vostracker, it doesn't bother me, either. I've been carrying revolvers for a long time, too.

All in all, a great little gun. Definitely recommend!

45Kimber

I have had Glock 36 in the past, but in ccw carry is equal in size to Glock 19: so why carry in "Glock safe action" 6+1 shots in 45 ACP vs 15+1 in 9x21 or, were allowed, in 9x19 ?
I think 45 ACP was constructed around and for 1911 Colt models and clones.
So I have a Glock 26 in 9x21 and a Kimber Compact (7+1 shots) in 45 ACP.
Regards

saltydog452

I have one and, so far, its been reliable.

No matter how much I try to rationalize the thought, warming up to the notion of a 'cocked and un-locked' pistol carried IWB, has proven slow to arrive. OWB carry, with its easier insertion and maybe with a retention device opens the door considerable.

Maybe more stuff needs considering than just the pistol. I am a 'pear shaped individual' with a 'squishy' middle.

salty

arktravler

I had a Colt Defender that was my favorite carry firearm, but had to sell it. When I went looking again, I saw the Glock 36 and decided to try it. While I'm wouldn't call myself a Glock Fanboy, I do like the 36. It conceals well & shoots gooder than I do:D. I would buy one again...

Neal_G.

Like others said, the 36 is a nice shooting gun, but it is not small as it's about the same size as the 19, which is a compact model size.

If you want a Glock thats actually 'small' with a caliber starting with the number '4' for carry I would just look at the G27.

G36 is a good gun though.

Willie Sutton

Carry one constantly. Carried a 1911 for 20 years, and switching took a major sea change in my attitude.
I have been very pleased with my choice.

It's a perfect major caliber concealment pistol.

Willie

BarryLee

Yes, everyone keeps referencing the size comparison to the G19 & G36, so maybe the G36 is not as compact as if first seemed. Also, I do appreciate the suggestion, but I already have a SIG P229, so I don’t think the G19 would really fill a need. I have also looked at the other subcompact models like the G26 & G27, but they just did not seem to fit my hand like the G36. Obviously this requires a little more thought…

wild cat mccane

The G36's slide and grip are as wide as a Taurus Mil Pro PT145 which holds 10+1 .45. The PT145's height is easy to figure out. The slide stops where the G36's sights stop. So marginally taller.

BarryLee

Look at Hickok's vid on youtube,

Hey, interesting video overall a good demo.

Funny thing I had avoided Hickock45 videos because I thought he was that dude that shot himself in the leg using the SERPA holster, but apparently that is Tex somebody. :eek:

bipe215

I've had one for about six weeks. Was never a Glock guy, but this is the first
45 that I've been able to carry comfortably. I have to keep my shirt tucked in, so I got a High Noon Split Decision tuck able holster. I can sit at my desk all day or drive very comfortably. It has run perfectly with my reloads, WWB, and Golden Sabers. The recoil is very manageable.

Steve

jfrey

Bought my G36 back in 2000 and never had any problems. They are virtually the same size as a G19 and having both, they conceal really well and use the same holsters. Get the +0 extensions for the mags and go for it.

bossman

I'm a 45 acp guy, love the round, so when I got the Glock-36 it was for it's size and weight. It's the same size as my CCO 1911s and is very CCW friendly. Since my CCO are 6+1 I was use to the so called low round count.

It has a mild recoil for such a lightweight gun and is very accurate. It quickly moved into my EDC weapon. Try it, I think you will happy with the gun. It's about 1/2 the price of a good CCO size 1911.

ClydeFrog

Kahr, S-A, Glock...

The Glock 36 .45acp has a strong following in the US. I think a big part of it is the potent .45acp caliber but the way a owner can tote a 30 or 21/21SF .45acp then have a BUG/2nd gun with the same fire controls(muscle memory) might be part of it too.
A few years ago, I spoke to a local sheriff's deputy who informed me that several detectives & special ops deputies pack the Glock 36 .45acp to back up the issue 21 .45acp pistol or the optional 30/30SF(plainclothes sheriff's deputies).
The only major firm with a sub compact .45acp that compares to the Glock 36 is the Kahr pistols. Springfield-Armory has a new XD .45acp but it's unproven.

Clyde

Big_Bullet

I have a G36.

I hated the thought of the Glocks (plastic) at first. I carried a Firestar 45acp. My brother likes every new thing, and bought a compact .40 Glock. I liked how light it was, but was partial to the .45 caliber. The G30 is thicker than I wanted to carry. I did a lot of reading about the G36 and found many reviews calling it the black sheep of the Glocks due to reliability issues. I waited, hoping to purchase a new one after the bugs were worked out. I waited a year or two. They made some changes to it, and then the reviews were favorable. I sold the Star and purchased a new G36. The carry weight is a pound less. It's a doubleish/singleish action which means, if being charged by a hungry cougar, I don't have the safety lever to worry about, nor thumbing the hammer. Just point and shoot, like the tried and true revolver, but with an infinitely better, lighter trigger, No long heavy first shot trigger pull of most ever double action auto, and more rounds than a five shot carry revolver. Have had no issues at all. Works perfectly. A video on YouTube shows a man shooting steel targets, free standing, at 100 yards, and hitting them about half of the time. The G36 is incredibly accurate in my hands, as is my G21 SF.