Glock G21SF ambi-mag release review

45_Shooter

Recently picked up a G21SF with ambi mag release. I was very excited about this pistol until I got it home and started playing with it.

The ambi mag release looks quite fragile compared to standard Glock fare, and is more complicated than I would expect a mag release to be. Oh well, it's a Glock and as such I assumed it would function just fine.

The first thing I noticed was the release irritated my middle finger just by dry firing the gun. I figured at the worst I could sand down the right side release button to solve my problem, but still I think this is unfortunate.

Considerably more force is required to eject a magazine. This is especially true of a loaded magazine which requires an awful lot of force. Looking at the design, the extra weight is a direct result of the way the release works; the shooter has less leverage than normal. Needless to say, I was not impressed by this 'improvement' so far.

I came to find that ejecting fully loaded mags against a closed slide would often cause the release to stick in the 'release' position, forcing the shooter to push it back into place from the opposite side in order to seat a fresh mag.

From examining the design it is apparent that the 'finger' which acts as the mag catch was becoming racked in it's channel and binding under the stress. It's likely this binding problem would go away after some use, and that was the recommendation I recieved from the place I bought it, but this is not what I expect from Glock.

To top it all off, the way the release is designed it precludes the use of old G21 mags since they do not have a cut in the front that allows the new release to catch it.

Needless to say I was not very pleased and rather dissapointed. I purchased the few Glock pistols I have because they are no-BS guns that work well. Their ergos (and lack of options!) have always been second rate IMO, but this attempt at improvement here is unacceptable to me.

I hope those of you that have ambi mag releases have better luck with them. I won't touch another personally.

Last edited:

Gunny

I don't know much about the 21SF, but I own the G30SF...I think glock noticed they had a problem with magazines not being able to be used in the 21SF unless they had the special notch cut out of them for the ambi mag catch. Because a year later when they introduced the 21SF's little brother, the 30SF, they did away with the ambi mag catch and just shortened the backstrap and etc...

Overall I think the 30SF is an excellent gun, but like i said the mag catch is a different story...Personally I don't know why they would do or continue to put them on their guns if they still are.

Here's a picture of my 30sf and as you can see there is no ambi mag catch/release.

HPIM1478.jpg