Glock FTF with Aftermarket Barrel

Sixer

Took my Glock 23 out to the range this weekend to try out a few reloads I had worked up. I recently swapped the factory barrel out for a Storm Lake barrel just to be on the safe side when it came to reloading 40 S&W.

Let me first just say that I have NEVER had an issue with my Glock in stock configuration. It's a great gun and I'm a big fan of Glocks (along with HK, Sig, etc...). However, I was a little discouraged when I had a FTF ( Failure To FEED) at the range on Saturday. I was three shot in and ready to take my fourth shot when it happened.

It really wasn't a big deal. I re-racked the slide and continued to empty the magazine. No more failures of any type after that. Later, I put the same cartridge that FTF into a mag and it fed without a problem.

The gun itself has approx 700rds through it, but the barrel is fairly new. I'd say it has MAYBE 100rds through it. So I guess my question is - is it likely that the new aftermarket barrel caused this problem? Anyone else had any issues with a newer barrel like this? And could it have been caused by something other that the barrel? I know there are a number of variables here, but I would like to get your thoughts :)

Alleykat

Could be the barrel; could be coincidental with the installation of the barrel. Storm Lake barrels and most other aftermarket barrels are going to have tighter chambers than factory Glock barrels.

Russ5924

Could also have been your reload just a little lite on powder. But just one FTF I don't think I would worry to much unless it does it a lot more:)

Farmland

I just received my Storm Lake for the Glock 27 recently. Just remember the barrel has a little tighter tolerances than the stock barrel, or so they tell me. I have heard of a few people having problems but it doesn't appear very wide range. I am up to over 500 rounds through mine with no problems.

So far I like what I see with this barrel and accuracy is not a problem.

However I shoot a 155 gr RN lead bullet that feeds pretty well in anything.

I had an E A Witness in 40 S&W that I used in IPSC, that think would only feed copper jacketed bullets. Everything I tired in lead would not be 100% reliable. I sent it back to the factory several times, if I remember correctly I think that was Ft Lauderdale, Fl. I finally traded the gun at a nice loss. It had a match barrel in it like the Storm is suppose to be.

Stevie-Ray

My G29 failed to feed once with the factory barrel. It's been flawless since, about 200 rounds. I plan to get an aftermarket barrel for it also, though. Of course, the validation will start over then.