Glock Factory Luminescent Steel Sights vs. Glock Factory Night Sights

L-2

I tried a couple of Glock's luminescent front sights.
I don't recommend them as the the glow only lasted ~20 seconds.
A good thing is the front sights were metal, however.

jonb32248

My Walther PPS M2 has them and they don't last very long. I changed the front to fiber. The luminescent ones need to be exposed to a light source and if your carrying concealed that's not going to happen.

Model12Win

The lummy sights are so cheesy. I answer neither. Lots of good aftermarkets made of metal and not with glow in the dark paint on them.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I believe those are sold primarily because some markets do not allow the use of tritium due to regulation.

That's why you had to find them on the European Glock site. They aren't sold on the U.S. Glock site because tritium sights aren't significantly regulated in the U.S.

weblance

JDBerg said:
I just sent my 19x slide back to Glock to have these luminescent sights put on

The 19x comes standard with Glock Tritium night sights. WHY would you replace them with glow in the dark sights ?

Model12Win

Look at it this way: if the gun is going to be CCW'd the sights are going to be in darkness, they will not glow after being drawn.

Open carry holsters can allow illumination of the rear sight, but the front is almost always going to be in darkness... and if the rear sight is being illuminated, that means it's either daytime or your in a very bright environment, both of these don't require any form of glowing sights. Also you want the FRONT sight to be glowing and most visible as that is what you should be focusing on, not the rear sights!

And for home defense, the sights won't be glowing after more than a few minutes after you switch off your lights at bedtime, especially if the gun resides in a holster or safe.

The ONLY time these sights even remotely make sense is if you have the gun drawn in daylight and then move indoors into a dark area. That's more likely with law enforcement. I can't really imagine a realistic scenario where an average citizen would be doing that.

They literally are the stupidest, most gimmicky things out there. Either get proper night sights that glow 24/7, 365 days a year for a decade or better under ALL conditions with NO charging required, or just get some good high contrast steel sights for the gun.

Their sole purpose IMHO is to add a cheesy "feature" to what would otherwise be plain steel sights for guns that ship with cheap breakage-prone plastic sights and YES I've broken Glock plastic sights and chewed up Walther plastic sights just from normal use. Some seem to think plastic pistol sights are A-OK. Get off the keyboard and actually use your gun and you'll find they simply suck. It's a shame that it has become commonly accepted as fine to buy a $500 to have it show up with plastic sights.

Onward Allusion

Waste of money. If you want to go that route, just get a bottle of glow paint. Some of the better paints will last for 24 hours. I tested this myself. Gotta dose the paint with a UV light. This path is an inexpensive option for the range.

Otherwise, if you want to be able to use the sights in low-light conditions, get either night-sights or combo night-fiber sights.

weblance

AGAIN I ask... why would you take off the FACTORY INSTALLED Tritium Night Sights that came on your 19x, and replace them with Glow in the Dark sights? That simply makes no sense...

JDBerg

OK, not a popular upgrade I suppose! Well I like the luminescent sights on my HK P30 and I like these luminescent sights on the 19x. These work for my (lacking) middle-aged vision acuity. I do much of my pistol shooting indoors these days and I can charge these in a hurry with my Surefire tactical light. I can always put the NS back on if I want to.

TunnelRat

FWIW there are sights that combine a luminescent paint with a tritium insert. Ameriglo has front sights, typically a yellow outline, that do this. The luminescent sights do tend to stand out very well in the day, but so do fiber optics. Lots of options out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fishbed77

OK, not a popular upgrade I suppose! Well I like the luminescent sights on my HK P30 and I like these luminescent sights on the 19x. These work for my (lacking) middle-aged vision acuity. I do much of my pistol shooting indoors these days and I can charge these in a hurry with my Surefire tactical light. I can always put the NS back on if I want to.

Honestly, to each his own, but this makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps you should have asked this question prior to sending the slide in, but live and learn. It's quite easy to re-install the sights on a Glock if you have the proper nut driver for the front sight and a punch & vice for the rear sight.

The factory Glock night sights are quite good IMHO, and I have installed them on every Glock I own that shipped with plastic sights.

The only pistol I own with luminescent sights is a CZ75 that came with them, and that I do not use as a defensive pistol. They are certainly no brighter in any condition than good night sights or any non-illuminated 3-dot sights in daylight.

JDBerg

So far I have 600 rounds through this 19x and half of those rounds are with the luminescent sights. This is the best shooting 9mm Glock I own, and I definitely like the luminescent sights on this gun. Different strokes I guess!

Fishbed77

OK... but I'm not sure how luminescent sights would make it shoot any better than night sights (provided both were properly installed/zeroed).

But as long as you're happy.