Glock Discharges As Placed In Rear Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle0711

I just heard on the news in my car radio that a hiker In Washington State took his Glock 40S&W out of his holster and placed it in his Lf. rear pocket. The gun discharged with the bullet going thru the buttox and ending up in the calf behind the knee. One of two things had to occur, the first and likely cause is that his finger was on the trigger, or the trigger got wrapped in a shirt or something. Remember Plexico Burris? Your thoughts. Lyle

AH.74

The Glock did not discharge itself.

More like "Owner shoots self while handling in unsafe manner."

Dfariswheel

The Glock and most modern autos are like any other gun. When the trigger is pulled, intentionally or not, the gun fires.

These modern autos have very short trigger pulls that have various methods of preventing the trigger from operating unless the trigger is pulled, BUT..... if the trigger gets pulled the safety devices operate as intended and the gun fires.
Since most of these trigger safeties are part of the trigger if you manage to get something inside the trigger guard, the safety device is deactivated and the trigger is free to move to the rear.
This is why most makers are specific that these guns should always be carried in a holster that covers the trigger.

I know of several cases of Glocks or other autos with the same type of trigger firing inadvertently.

Early in the Glock introduction to the police, some holsters had thumb breaks that could slip into the trigger guard if you weren't paying attention when holstering. There were several cased of officers having AD's when holstering.

In a local case, a police officer slipped a Glock in his hip pocket and got into his car. When he slide across the seat, the seat belt somehow caught on the trigger and fired the gun, striking the officer in the back of the knee.

In another case an off duty officer slipped his Glock in his hip pocket. He was meeting his wife at a restaurant and while waiting for her he was leaning up against the brick wall outside. The wall was one that had the grout between the bricks allowed to ooze out forming ridges.
He was leaning his back on the wall and as his wife arrived, he "bounced" his back on the wall to stand up straight.
When he did, the rough grout caught the trigger and fired a round into the sidewalk.

Another case had a private armed guard who stuck his Glock into his pants to the left of the belt buckle. When he sat down the buckle caught the trigger and fired the gun.

In the early days of the Glock there were several cases of loaded guns being put in the plastic factory box and firing when the gun shifted, The box had a positioning stud that fit inside the trigger guard, and there was enough room for the gun to shift and fire.
The boxes were recalled by the factory.

While these are all Glock AD's, the same can happen to most any of the newer short action autos with trigger safeties.
The point is, these are not guns to be shoved in a pocket or anything other than a properly designed holster that covers the trigger.
If you insist on carrying the gun any other way and the trigger gets pressed, don't be shocked when the gun fires.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
User incompetence.

Put a gun in a holster. Not a pocket. A holster. They make special things for guns called holsters because guns need to be put in special things in order to be carried safely.

Don't be stupid. Use a holster.

It should be a friggin' public service announcement, apparently. You'd think that common sense would take care of it but... well, apparently not.

5whiskey

Yeah, I used to be anti-glock. Actually I used to be anti-anything without a manual thumb safety. I'm over that now. I still hate the slushy trigger of a glock... I prefer the nice DA revolver feel of the Kahr. Taking one stupid attack and blaming it on the firearm is dumb, especially when gabillions of them are carried daily with no safety incidents.

Jimmy10mm

I'm sure you've seen the video of the LEO lecturing a classroom telling them that he was the only one in the room qualified to handle his Glock and subsequently putting a round through his leg. Accidents happen.

Edit; Here is a page detailing the incident. The video is in the menu to the right on the page.

Last edited:

mete

About the safest auto is the HK P7 which requires squeezing the grip to cock it and pulling the trigger ! I have no hesitation carrying in my pocket.

Onward Allusion

Dumb-a** gun owner - literally. :rolleyes:

Eagle0711
Glock Discharges As Placed In Rear Pocket
I just heard on the news in my car radio that a hiker In Washington State took his Glock 40S&W out of his holster and placed it in his Lf. rear pocket. The gun discharged with the bullet going thru the buttox and ending up in the calf behind the knee. One of two things had to occur, the first and likely cause is that his finger was on the trigger, or the trigger got wrapped in a shirt or something. Remember Plexico Burris? Your thoughts. Lyle

demigod

"Glock Discharges when Trigger Pulled" should be the thread title.

You can't protect people from stupid.

"JJ"

This is how the stupid herd was thinned back in the day. Now a Dr or lawyer comes around & finds a way to save'em or protect'em! Because of that they keep breading!!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.