Glock conversions

J270

I have a G22, is it true that all I need to make it a 9mm is a barrel mag and spring ?? I want to get my wife a compact and I would get her the G23 if that is the case. One last thing would a converted G22 run as accurate and reliable as a G 17

Sharkbite

I have "converted" 2 Glocks from 40 to 9mm. One a G23 and one a G35. Drop in a Lone wolf barrel and run caliber appropriate mags. No other changes were needed. You could prob run 40 cal mags if you really needed to. The 9mm mags have the feed lips closer together and hold the rounds a little "deeper" in the mag

No recoil spring changes needed. Change the barrel and shoot

Officer's Match

I run this G35-length 40-9 Lone Wolf conversion barrel in my G22RTF with no changes but the barrel and G17 mag's. Has ran 100% and is very accurate too.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Most people find that changing the barrel and mag works very well, however it is important to understand that there are other differences between .40S&W and 9mm Glocks.

Glock is absolutely fanatical about trying to keep as many parts in common across their different models. They actually try so hard that they have caused themselves trouble in the past by retrofitting changes for .40S&W and .357SIG guns to their 9mm models in the interest of improved parts commonality.

However, in spite of that drive for commonality, they still are willing to spend the time and money manufacturing, stocking and installing a number of differing parts between the .40S&W guns and the 9mm guns in the interest of insuring maximum reliability.

If you want to change a barrel and mag for use at the range, that's reasonable. However, if you want to rely on this gun for self-defense then you need to do a complete conversion of all the differing parts to insure that the gun is configured for maximum reliability.

That would include changing the following:
  • An actual conversion barrel (Don't simply use a 9mm Glock factory barrel--a conversion barrel will be dimensioned differently than a stock 9mm barrel).
  • Extractor
  • Spring Loaded Bearing.
  • Ejector
  • Recoil spring assembly
  • Magazines

RodTheWrench

I see absolutely no need to go ^that^ far. I do agree that a conversion barrel is essential(mine is Lone Wolf), but 10K trouble-free rounds of 9mm out of a G22 with G17 mags is proof enough for me that no other changes are necessary. YMMV, but probably not. :)

Did I mention that I run an LW barrel in 357 Sig on that same gun as well? 2K+rounds there with nary a hiccup.

I'm now waiting on threaded conversion barrels in both of these calibers so I can blast (silently) away with my Osprey when it gets cleared. In 9 months. :mad:

Sharkbite

Threaded barrels is the primary reason i started converting to lone wolf barrels. The 40-9 conversions sounded like a practical way to gain another caliber to shoot thru the can

All i changed was the barrel and started using correct for caliber mags. Nothing else was changed and ive had PERFECT reliability so far. I dont have as many rounds thru em as stated above. Maybe 500 thru the G23 as a 9mm and half that thru my G35 as a 9

So thats 7-800 total thru a 40-9 conversion with just a barrel swap. Im happy with it as a range toy

I'll stick with a stock 23 for EDC